Trains running near KEGE?

Stratocruiser

I am running P3D3 with Global Base, Vector, all the NA scenery and several of the P3D3 airports including KEGE Eagle County and KTVL Lake Tahoe. Just did a flight in the MJ C-47/DC-3 from KEGE to KTVL with an overnight stop at KELY, Ely, Nevada. At the start of the flight, when I took off from KEGE, there was a freight train running off in the distance by the major highway. I was busy with the take off and did not see where it went. Are there trains running in this scenery? If so, how can we find out where they all are and what schedule they are on. The flight was really beautiful showing the mountains and high desert scenery to its best. If you want to really see this scenery then you need to be just a couple of thousand feet above ground level and slow. Thanks for the scenery Orbx.

Howard

G'day Howard.

A few of the airports have trains that run within the immediate vicinity of the airport only. Porta Westfalica and Southampton are two others that have trains running for a short distance.

Maybe something in the distant future to have them running long distance, would be good though.

Interesting that there are trains running past KEGE because there aren't any IRL anymore.  While there are rails along that stretch of I70 - what used to be the former Rio Grande RR Royal Gorge route over Tennessee Pass - the line was mothballed in the summer of 1997 around the time when the Grande and the Southern Pacific merged.  The tracks were left in place and not officially abandoned, but no trains have passed Eagle for almost 2 decades now and the line is mostly rotted ties and rusted rail, weed-choked and eroded.  The active Moffat tunnel route (now Union Pacific) joins the inactive Royal Gorge route a ways down I-70 west of Eagle in Dotsero, where the Eagle River joins the Colorado - I believe this is right about at the western border of the KEGE coverage area.

Hope to pick this one up before the sale ends and will enjoy seeing trains on the line again, reliving the glory years when long freights fought their way up and over the divide and down past Eagle.

Just a bit of local CO train lore for ya...

Scott

Archived