Big Issue Since Installing SOCAL/FSX stopped

rockliffe

Hey guys, I posted an issue a couple of weeks ago about FTX being unable to load sceneries due to a missing or corrupt restore file.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/106666-error-message-help/

After not receiving any great positive conclusion on the forum I decided to do a reinstall of everything. Although I had a backup, it nevertheless still cost me a couple of hours of my time. Anyhow, it sorted the issue and since then I have not had a problem... until today. I have just installed SOCAL, installed latest libs, switched to default in FTX Central and then back to North America only to be faced with, a repeat performance of before. The error message as shown below appears, and it is not possible to swap regions in FTX central. This is really tiresome and extremely frustrating. If anyone can try and resolve this for me I'd be very grateful. The previous suggestions were not really forthcoming with any resolution. Cheers. More worryingly, I can't get FSX to work at all now!!!!

error.JPG

Bummer! It may be worth posting a link here to that old thread so we know what was suggested/tried ... and failed. Either that or ask or mod to merge it.

I'm curious to know if there is a fix - even though I've had this error pop up on me (albeit with no subsequent problems).

Adam.

Hi Howard,

I had the same message a few times after my recent re-install. Means, some 1 to 4 weeks ago. For me it just worked IGNORING the message, getting back to the region before, try again. It worked... After some further installations (purchased in the current sales) the message came back, and ignoring worked again. Currently I can switch regions as usual. A bit confusing.

Hope the same ignorance can help you.

I fully understand that kind of frustration.

Thanks fellas. If I persist, it sometimes works, but I have to check the actual scenery library to ensure the files are there. Sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't! More worryingly, I'm now on my sixth attempt at trying to get FSX to start. It refuses to load for some reason. They must be somehow connected. I have never experienced issues like these in five the years I've been simming. I'll add a link to the previous issue too Adam.

Howard, I also had starting issues. Deactivating Frank Dainese´s photoscenery for Aosta did the trick for me - seems something of this photoscenery does not work with the recent orbx updates. But this is just a theory... 

Deactivating all sceneries you don´t currently fly could be worth a trial anyway.

7 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Howard, I also had starting issues. Deactivating Frank Dainese´s photoscenery for Aosta did the trick for me - seems something of this photoscenery does not work with the recent orbx updates. But this is just a theory... 

Deactivating all sceneries you don´t currently fly could be worth a trial anyway.

Hmm, there's definitely an issue here. I've spent the past twenty minutes and FSX won't start at all. It keeps coming up with an error message, saying it's attempting to restart. The photoscenery you are talking about Gerold, I don't have.

I have seen this from time to time. I think holger said you can just ignore the message.

the way it's fixed is to right click on the fsx folder and set permissions to read and write. For some reason it sometimes switches to read only 

at least it worked for me anyway

1 hour ago, rockliffe said:

Although I had a backup, it nevertheless still cost me a couple of hours of my time 

Hi Howard

Provided that it is what you did, pasting a cloned backup is not a  real reinstall, a clean slate. If the backup is flawed, the flaw comes back. Another thing, before pasting the backup, did you uninstall all the files which are not in the main folder ? Again if you don't and some corrupt file was left behind, same cause, same effect.

For the record, I had once that message some weeks ago in P3D 2.5 (so this is not a FSX issue) and it went away without problem. So far, so good since ( (crossing the fingers and spitting on the ground).

Just now, dominique said:

Hi Howard

Provided that it is what you did, pasting a cloned backup is not a  real reinstall, a clean slate. If the backup is flawed, the flaw comes back. Another thing, before pasting the backup, did you uninstall all the files which are not in the main folder ? Again if you don't and some corrupt file was left behind, same cause, same effect.

For the record, I had once that message some weeks ago in P3D 2.5 (so this is not a FSX issue) and it went away without problem. So far, so good since ( (crossing the fingers and spitting on the ground).

No Dominique, nice try, but all my backups are made with Acronis and properly actioned... 

4 minutes ago, dominique said:

Howard

This error strikes very few people and almost none with the consequence of freezing FSX  but you (or so it seems). If you are alone in this predicament, it points to a corrupted file in your install IMHO.

Hmm, I'm going to reinstall the backup...again! Not sure why I'm having this drama, FSX has been a gem with hardly ever any issues like this.

Archived