Murrumbidgee River missing

crimplene

Hi,

I love FTX, but flying from Canberra southwards I saw Murrumbidgee River had some gaps, then disappeared totally. Near the (missing!) town of Bredbo (NSW) there is nor Murrumbidgee nor Bredbo River. Should be fixed, I think.

Thanks,

crimplene

Everybody wants their house and their backyard modelled exactly.

Talk to God* - he did a good job in 7 days (followed by billions of years of geological change and evolution, thousands of years of human tech advances and hundreds of years of white settlement in OZ).  This is a simulation available by download made by a small team of people over a period of a year to fit in with the FSX SDK (SP0,1,2)... for the price of a Gourmet Pizza.  They'll do what they can within time, financial, file-size and FSX constraints.  If you want to model your locality exactly - learn how to do it!  Then make it available to others - that's what I've done, am doing!

*actually I don't believe in it

Actually my backyard is in Europe.  :o

And I don't want a little stream in the mountains modelled, but wanted to report something I saw as a bug:

Clearly visible gaps in parts of one of Australias major rivers south of your capital city.

I did hope you would appreciate reports on bugs (or buglets) in your wonderfuld software.

It should be fixed.  ;D

Regards

Crimplene

Hi crimplene, thanks for pointing out those issues. We (the landclass team) strived to include every town in the coverage area, but when you consider the shear size of the area we had to cover, some places got missed. You'll be glad to know that Bredbo is no longer MIA! Expect to see it in Service Pack 1.

with all due respect to the question crimplene,

I can relate to the question and understand that you are maybe dissapointed about your particular area having not every road sign and lamp post there but I think that you can relate to the fact that what is been done is a huge undertaking by a limited small group of very dedicated people that went about it to the best of their knowledge and abilities, and it is virtually impossible to get everything right if you look at the greater picture.

Alltough we are very well aware of things that we may have missed or ommited for very valid reasons it is still a work in progress and we for sure will make some corrections to obvious glitches that should not be there, but please please do not expect that we are capable of depicting every bush on the right place as your sytem would not be able to cope with the amount of data involved with that, as neither would ours.

:(

Hi crimplene, thanks for pointing out those issues. We (the landclass team) strived to include every town in the coverage area, but when you consider the shear size of the area we had to cover, some places got missed. You'll be glad to know that Bredbo is no longer MIA! Expect to see it in Service Pack 1.

Hi buzzm,

thanks for your reply. I definetly appreciate the work you've done! Australia will be my favorite place to fly with FTX for the next few weeks at least!

Today I visited the Canberra-Region and found it a topographically very interesting part of your country. FSX RTM has Murrumbidge (I did not know this river until today, of course :-)) only as stream from source to a lake maybe called Burrinjuck. FTX made a real river out of it south of canberra and I think it would look much more beautiful, if your coastline team (I suppose it's them dealing with rivers?) could fill the gaps or at least could bring back the stream south of the Australian Capital Territory. But even with some gaps in some rivers FTX is a real joy.

I'm looking forward to the brisbane region release very much.

regards

Ralph (crimplene)

from Frankfurt, Germany

G'day Ralph,

The rivers work that has been done is generally restricted to the coastal areas. This is a decision taken because of the time consuming nature of the work. What is present has taken two people hundreds of hours of work. This is not to say we wouldn't like to extend this further to more prominent rivers and lakes inland.

Definitely the Murrumbidgee would be one of the major rivers I would like to see fixed as well. I also think we need to continue the Murray up to the Alps (that is many hundreds of miles of river :( ) as well as the Goulburn (north of Melbourne) and the Darling River.

Unfortunately the one issue that I don't think we'll be able to fix is the non-permancy of these systems in Australia. Indeed for many years (near decades) the Darling has been nearly totally dry with only a few minor algae chocked watercourses along it. Since we have had great rain up in the north this year the Darling is flowing again. Many of us are watching it to see if it reaches its junction with the Murray or if the waters only get as far as the Menindee Lakes system.

I think given time some of these things can be achieved. Thanks for your feedback.

with all due respect to the question crimplene,

I can relate to the question and understand that you are maybe dissapointed about your particular area having not every road sign and lamp post there but I think that you can relate to the fact that what is been done is a huge undertaking by a limited small group of very dedicated people that went about it to the best of their knowledge and abilities, and it is virtually impossible to get everything right if you look at the greater picture.

Alltough we are very well aware of things that we may have missed or ommited for very valid reasons it is still a work in progress and we for sure will make some corrections to obvious glitches that should not be there, but please please do not expect that we are capable of depicting every bush on the right place as your sytem would not be able to cope with the amount of data involved with that, as neither would ours.

:(

Hi Wolter,

please don't understand my pointing to an issue as belittling the things the FTX-Teams has achieved. (my english grammar may be confused :-) )

I understand very well that not every town can be at it's place and of course there are some things missing in some places - I wasn't looking for certain bushes though... I only intended to help you to make FTX even better. And Murrumbidgee still is an important river, isn't it?

Do you have a better place for reporting issues? I can understand that reporting things like that in the forum can leave a wrong impression on persons not familiar with FTX.

For these people I make this disclaimer:

I may have mentioned some gaps in a river and a missing town, but I would never have flown along Murrumbidgee River without FTX! Canberra with full Autogen at dusk is stunning with FTX-Lights! Absolutely stunning! I didn't even know where Canberra is before I had the luck to purchase FTX.

Hi again crimplene

Brisbane is my backyard.  I am really looking forward to the release of Gold, too.  Of course, I am hoping the Gateway Bridge will be depicted realistically and the VFR points will be in place.  I have placed the Mt Coot-tha TV towers, Indooroopilly Shoppingtown, Bunnings, etc for VSX (free download from VOZ - but requires some care due to conflicts {roads, landclasses and coastlines} w FTX).  I have also done 26 strips in the vicinity and will be giving them seasonal textures to match FTX.

... oh, and I've done my house ;)

G'day Ralph,

One thing I noticed during my testing of FTX (which I've had the pleasure to be involved in for the last few weeks), is how much it's raising the bar. I'd been flying over areas, and thinking - for example  "There's a couple of buildings missing here", or "there's a field here that isn't quite as green as it should be in this area". I then realised that previously (even in VOZ) I'd have been happy just for the more-or-less correct landclasses to be in the correct locations, and looking like a decent approximation of reality. With the brilliant work that the creators have done to produce FTX (both the landclass and autogen), all of a sudden our expectations have being ramped up to another level.

Having said that, I agree with you about the Murrumbidgee and it'll be good to see it in SP1. The thing that amazes me is that it isn't included in default FSX either - even as one of their basic default "streams".

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi guys,

I can add a bit more information regarding the Murrumbidgee River.

Water bodies weren't my "department" in Region BLUE. However, while I was working on the road system in the Canberra area I noticed that the Murrumbidgee River was missing. I had access to Australian Government 1:100,000 topographic data for the Canberra ACT and used those to add in the river and a few lakes.

The reason the river is intermittent is because that's the way the data is coded; wherever the real-world river is narrower than a specific threshold it gets drawn as a vector instead of a poly (see the screenshot of the source data). I'm not familiar with the river but I realize that this on/off display is probably not a very realistic depiction of any river. However, as explained by others, we didn't have the manpower to digitize all rivers manually. Thus, it was either these data or no river at all.

The river coverage ends suddenly to the south because that's the extent of the map sheet coverage and none of the adjacent sheets are in the public domain.

In short, the current Murrumbidgee River is a compromise. Hopefully, at some point we either get affordable access to high-res topographic data or someone from the team (or an outside volunteer!) tackles the "click fest" of digitization.

Cheers, Holger

post-414-130203874354_thumb.jpg

Today I visited the Canberra-Region and found it a topographically very interesting part of your country. FSX RTM has Murrumbidge (I did not know this river until today, of course :-)) only as stream from source to a lake maybe called Burrinjuck. FTX made a real river out of it south of canberra and I think it would look much more beautiful, if your coastline team (I suppose it's them dealing with rivers?) could fill the gaps or at least could bring back the stream south of the Australian Capital Territory. But even with some gaps in some rivers FTX is a real joy.

Thanks for the heads-up, Ralph. I lived in Canberra for 3 1/2 years and the Murrumbidgee is barely worthy of the term "river" where it flows to the west of the city. In the Summer, it barely covers your groin in depth in some places, so it would hardly show in FSX. Further downstream, of course, they ran paddlesteamers on it!

Hi again crimplene

Brisbane is my backyard.  I am really looking forward to the release of Gold, too.  Of course, I am hoping the Gateway Bridge will be depicted realistically and the VFR points will be in place.  I have placed the Mt Coot-tha TV towers, Indooroopilly Shoppingtown, Bunnings, etc for VSX (free download from VOZ - but requires some care due to conflicts {roads, landclasses and coastlines} w FTX).  I have also done 26 strips in the vicinity and will be giving them seasonal textures to match FTX.

... oh, and I've done my house ;)

I can't wait!  Brisbane is my backyard too. :)  Thanks for your efforts!

Re: VFR Reporting Points.

Anyone interested in becoming part of the VSX Development team: identifying, constructing (FSDS or GMAX) and placing (Instant Scenery or Whisplacer) VFR points?  They really add to the immersion of VFR simming but are labour-intensive.

Re: VFR Reporting Points.

Anyone interested in becoming part of the VSX Development team: identifying, constructing (FSDS or GMAX) and placing (Instant Scenery or Whisplacer) VFR points?  They really add to the immersion of VFR simming but are labour-intensive.

Hi Mark,

The Gold Coast is my back yard and am amazed that FSX missed the Gateway bridge! Such an obvious landmark..

anyhoo, what skills are needed to get on the team? I am a FSX newbie, but I am a database programmer.

Regards,

Adam

Welcome Divot

If you're just placing default objects, then you'll need Instant Scenery, Google Earth and FSXGET (shows FSX position in GE).  Then it's just a matter of pinpointing the objects from charts or GE and placing them.  Naming and filing skills which you're sure to have.

The Murrumbidgee in question is in my backyard and I can tell you the reality lies somewhere between what is portrayed in FTX, and a continuous river.  The river varies from 100m+ wide to as little as 2-3m wide, right through the Canberra area.  So although there should be some small detail of river linking the visible sections in FTX, to do the river as a continuous blue ribbon from south to north would not be realistic.

What you see from FTX at 1500' isn't far off what you see in the real world, within the limitations of the FS graphics.  A lot of Australian rivers are no more than a series of ponds separated by pencil-thin running water, mostly invisible from altitude.

Hope this helps.

Hello nojwod,

thanks for the information; that is indeed helpful!

I suppose we should look into creating a vector texture that looks more appropraite than the FSX default stream version (which we exclude in the FTX coverage area) and use that to connect the "ponds". I'm also lobbying ACES to allow for seasonal changes of polygon data so that a water body could change to dry land during drier seasons. Currently, one would have to do this through an external switcher, similar to the water-to-ice applications in my Alaska projects and Ultimate Terrain Canada.

Cheers, Holger

Archived