Multiple P3D version installs - ORBXLIBS

This one's for Ed, I think!

There may be people out there, like myself, that have both 2.5 and 3.0 versions installed for a while as you migrate from one to the other.

Apart from the inevitable registry problems (usually circumvented by simply pointing the installer to the required version/path), there does appear to be a slight problem when updating ORBXLIBS - either manually or via FTX Central.

Depending on which version you choose when prompted, the same path will be inserted into BOTH versions of DLL.XML. One of them will be wrong (!).

Not too difficult to fix via a manual edit. However: if you choose to use the ModuleInstaller.exe (in ORBX/[.. Area..]/Scenery), then you get to choose which version - and it (correctly) writes only to the one selected.

I hope that makes sense!

Adam.

PLEASE, folks, don't confuse this with "Missing/deleted" ORBX sceneries. That's a whole differenty ball game, kettle of fish, can of worms, call it what you will!

EDIT: I've just re-read JV's post. Am I in breach of the EULA by installing ORBX into more than one version of P3D? If so - please delete this post! I'll just bite the bullet and remove 2.5. I'm convinced enough that v3 is the way to go - though I'll miss some of my favourite scenery for a while!

Hi Adam,

I also have FSX, P3Dv2.5 and P3Dv3 installed. As you wrote I looked at the DLL.XML and have the same problem. The path of the objectflow is at both, P3Dv2.5 and P3Dv3. the same.

<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>F:\Prepar3Dv3\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Scenery\ObjectFlow_P3D.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>

Cheers,

Martin

I have asked the developer of OF to modify the moduleinstaller. It currently installs the DLL to all detected P3D XML files and pointing to the one location. This does not effect the actual function of OF unless that DLL is removed. The change that I have requested is that the location of the moduleinstaller is taken into consideration of which P3D version's XML to edit. 

Apparently this has always been the case but due to the very low user base of P3Dv1 it has never been brought to attention. 

As to the multiple installation question, you can have multiple installs of Orbx into FSX/P3D as long it's on the same PC. 

Archived