Parts for my new Skylake PC build are coming

Mikelab6

Hi all,

For you information, if someone else is looking to buy some parts for a new Skylake rig, here is my list of my ordered parts for my new build :

Intel Skylake 6700K

MSI Z170A Gaming M5 motherboard (black and red)

MSI GTX 980 gaming 4G video card (black and red)

16 GB corsair LPX DDR4 3000 CL15 memory (black)

2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD (1 for OS and programs and 1 for FSX)

1 X HDD 2TB Western Digital black (backup images, dowloads, hotos, etc..) 

1 Cooler master Trooper full tower (very nice tower with 2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 on front, fans control, led fan switch, dust filter...)

1 EVGA 850 Watts Supernova G2 power supply

Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo cpu cooler

I hope to receive them all at end of next week to start the build process following by sim installation. My plan is to install Windows 7 first, following by Windows 10 upgrade. That way if something go wrong with Windows 10, I could go back to Win 7.

I will post some comments and pictures along the process ...

It was about time to replace my old i5-750 rig :)

Cheers !

Nice one! 

I hope that you will really enjoy it. Please keep us up to date...

A small tip that you might want to consider when you format your HDD, During the format, select an Allocation size dropdown of  the maximum value of  64K  (or 64 kilobytes) rather than the default value (4K) that windows selects

I realize that this "wastes" a small amount of disk, but I think that you will be pleasantly surprised how much faster read options will be. You have the same HDD that I do, and in some small amount of testing, it seems that I was able to reduce the read time by about half using this approach. I spent my my career in engineering doing a lot of very large simulation studies ( 4-12 K nodes parallel) and before we started getting multi-terrabyte SDD's this was a little trick that we used all the time to improve disk performance..

Best of luck!

Regard

Same for me, why you do not get GTX980Ti, even price is not same, Mike. I thing that Ti is worth of each cent. I have GTX980 with high overclock, I'm close to reference 980Ti performance, but not enough for me.

If you plan some OC on CPU, I can recommend you some all in one water cooling set.. one of best is Corsair H110i GT.

Why get a 980 when you can get a 980Ti for about the same price?

I got the GTX980 on a deal ($630 CDN about $470 USD)  because it was much cheaper than the GTX980i :)    I was supposed to buy the 970 at around $500 CDN, but I did spend few more dollars for the 980.

Update : Most of the parts have been received, but can't start to build the PC because my CPU is missing (received it but wrong part in the box  >:( ), so I have now to wait about  5 days to receive it "again" from Tiger..

I had to be about 1 hour on the phone with them to solve this . I have to say their customer service was very great.

I hope to start the process soon, to be able to test all parts before the 30 days ends (return policy), just in case I have to return defective parts...

I am now wondering if I will go with FSX-SE install, instead of my boxed FSX.  Are every addons already compatible with FSX-SE ?   I know P3Dv3 is very nice, but I have to much planes not working in it (PMDG NGX, PMDG 777, A2A, etc) and don't want to buy all those again...

I got the GTX980 on a deal ($630 CDN about $470 USD)  because it was much cheaper than the GTX980i :)    I was supposed to buy the 970 at around $500 CDN, but I did spend few more dollars for the 980.

Update : Most of the parts have been received, but can't start to build the PC because my CPU is missing (received it but wrong part in the box  >:( ), so I have now to wait about  5 days to receive it "again" from Tiger..

I had to be about 1 hour on the phone with them to solve this . I have to say their customer service was very great.

I hope to start the process soon, to be able to test all parts before the 30 days ends (return policy), just in case I have to return defective parts...

I am now wondering if I will go with FSX-SE install, instead of my boxed FSX.  Are every addons already compatible with FSX-SE ?   I know P3Dv3 is very nice, but I have to much planes not working in it (PMDG NGX, PMDG 777, A2A, etc) and don't want to buy all those again...

They work, there are some files that Steam will fix if all is not kosher though so it  might do repairs. I think there is a way to keep it from doing integrity checks though, its been researched here before. Cant recite the exact thread since I dont have FSX SE, but its here somewhere...

Update :

OK, so far, the CPU is still missing, but already started the process. Following will be pictures of some parts and where I am until now in the process ;

First of all, I need to be grounded before touching any electronic parts to avoid static electricity to discharge and damaging my parts. Here is my solution :

Image1.jpg

Tower case...with installed power supply...

Image2.jpg

Mother board...

Image3.jpg

Graphic card...

Image4.png

Storage devices...

Image5.jpg

CPU cooler and memory...

Image6.jpg

So far, until now it looks like this...(CPU cooler bracket installed)

Image7.jpg

That's it for now...Still a lot of work to do, but so far it's going well.  HDD and SSDs are installed but not yet connected..

Thanks for watching !

Nice bit of kit there Mike,

But are you sure that's the way the CPU cooler bracket/clamp fits. I used to run a Hyper 212Plus with similar coupling bracket, and the bracket went above the pipes (in the space between the cooling fins and the pipes) and did not touch the CPU, the CPU cooler dissipation plate is meant to make contact with the CPU having thermal paste between the 2 components, spring pressure on the loading screws will determine an even pressure for the dissipation plate on the thermal compound against the CPU. I should recheck your fitting instructions to be double sure you have it right, wouldn't want to spoil that wonderful setup or inadvertently dent the lid on the CPU.

I'm sure there are some spacer screws that mount to the back bracket screwed in from the topside of the board to attach your multi-fit X bracket to those.

10 points for the makeshift wrist strap even though they are somewhat cumbersome/restricting, are necessary peace of mind equipment .

Nice one mate...I am so chuffed with my new Skylake rig I built...be mindful of the usb drivers & bios / uefi settings for 3.0 / 3.1 ports, I had a bit of fun getting them stablised...

P3Dv2.5 runs amazing with high detail for the likes of PNW with kors or diamond with high detail...only vas issues for me if I run the heavies...

Therefore until V3 is stable with compatable addons, I installed my faithful FSX DX10 yesterday, just for flying heavies, I installed global, vector and europe lc plus some Aerosoft & UK 2000 airports....then my NGX (been missing her since going to P3D & did not want to repurchase it)

FSX DX10 on my Skylake ran maxed out with autogen at very dense with no .cfg tweaks...ran flight tests from EGKK Gatwick (UK2000) to Gibraltar (Aerosoft) then up tp Aerosoft Nice then back to UK to EGNX East mids (UK 2000) and no oom just smooth, high frames and detailed global scenery... :)

So For now...P3Dv2.5 for high detail low & slow...and FSX Dx10 for my high with heavies...P3Dv3 looks like the next step but for now I have best of both worlds...

Enjoy the new rig, it will fly... :)

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your advice !  I know, the Hyper 212 is a bit tricky to install the first time.  I am already using a Hyper 212+ with my actual i750 PC, so I am aware.

On my new build, the back plate is installed, and the X bracket is in place, just to test the fitting (aligment with stud spacers). I am still waiting for the CPU, so I can't install the cooler.

Cap Pugwash : Thanks for the tip !  Are you using FSX boxed edition or FSX-Steam ?  I am still wondering if I will go with my FSX boxed or my FSX-SE (buyed for $5 few months ago as backup if boxed problem licence occurs)

good luck with your build, i have almost the exact same setup, i ended up buying the 6600k because the 6700k wasn't available, so i ended up buying the 6700k a month later and now have a 6600k sitting in the box.

Brett : Is there a big performance difference between the 6600K and 6700K ?  I was on the fence about buying the 6600K instead of the 6700K

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your advice !  I know, the Hyper 212 is a bit tricky to install the first time.  I am already using a Hyper 212+ with my actual i750 PC, so I am aware.

On my new build, the back plate is installed, and the X bracket is in place, just to test the fitting (aligment with stud spacers). I am still waiting for the CPU, so I can't install the cooler.

Cap Pugwash : Thanks for the tip !  Are you using FSX boxed edition or FSX-Steam ?  I am still wondering if I will go with my FSX boxed or my FSX-SE (buyed for $5 few months ago as backup if boxed problem licence occurs)

Hi Mike, FSX Boxed...although had a problem with installing acceleration, but found registry fix that then allowed it to install...

Currently enjoying smooth flights in my NGX with Large airport add-ons and heavy Rex4 weather with no oom's :)

Brett : Is there a big performance difference between the 6600K and 6700K ?  I was on the fence about buying the 6600K instead of the 6700K

believe it or not no.you can go to cpu boss(just google it)i was shocked how close they are.my 6600k is still sitting on the shelf after installing the 6700k.a few people say the 6700k helps more with texture loading and video rendering.still i prefer the 6700k, simply because i feel naked without the i7 branding.i have always had an i7 cpu.

believe it or not no.you can go to cpu boss(just google it)i was shocked how close they are.my 6600k is still sitting on the shelf after installing the 6700k.a few people say the 6700k helps more with texture loading and video rendering.still i prefer the 6700k, simply because i feel naked without the i7 branding.i have always had an i7 cpu.

"because i feel naked without the i7 branding"  LOL !!

Are you running your 6700K with Hyper-Threading at "ON" ?

"because i feel naked without the i7 branding"  LOL !!

Are you running your 6700K with Hyper-Threading at "ON" ?

I have my 6700k @4.6oc running with Hyper Thread off...but am wondering if I turned it on would there be any effect on my P3D or FSX ...be it good or Bad, may try soon... but I have to say both run real sweet on my setup :)

Hi,

Yes !! New PC is alive and running Win 10 clean install :)

All went good and easy. The fist power on was successful and I can say, I very like MSI components.  I was using ASUS and Gigabyte before. The MSI Gaming M5 motherboard is a very nice piece of hardware and the BIOS is easy to setup.

I've followed my process (see post 26) and I am now at installing basics programs in Win 10. FSX will follow shortly.

I have to say Samsung SSDs random read/write are far far better on Win10 than on Win7 (using Magician).  Light blue is Win7 and dark blue is Win10

TestMagician.jpg​

Her is what my tower looks like :

2015-10-1717.54.01.jpg​

2015-10-1717.54.30HDR.jpg​

2015-10-1717.51.05.jpg​

2015-10-1717.52.23HDR.jpg​

Now, I have to import all my saved emails, data, pictures and so on to my new build, and than after FSX-SE time !!  Will post some more news later....  (I hope to fly soon !!)

So your the one doing all the calculations for the election!

Very, very nice piece of kit Mike . ::)

I'm envious but know that you will really enjoy it. I'm glad that you went right into Win10. I know that there are lots of folks who have had issues with it, but for me it is stable and runs with no drama and no surprises.

One minor item. On my system I am using UiAutomationCore.dll, version 6.0.5840.16386, which is Win 7.  I then checked fsx.exe to run in Win 7 compatibility mode and have never looked back. 

All the best

Renault

Update !

My new PC is running very well.  The SSDs are fast and Win 10 is booting in about 10 sec (after BIOS loaded) I like this !! :)

FSX-SE is installed, but no ORBX sceneries nor addons aircrafts installed yet. DX10 with Steve fixer already installed. I am testing the sim right now with different tweaks into fsx.cfg because having a hard time to have a smooth running  sim and also slow loading textures (bluries).  Fixed bluries with LOD at 6.5

After looking at process explorer, I saw that my GTX 980 was only at 19% of capacity, so the card was always waiting for the data to come from the CPU causing stuttering. Solved this by throwing more jobs to the GTX-980 with hight FSAA (32 in fixer), HD shadows, bloom..etc... The card is now running at 50%

I've also noted that the stuttering was only present when using SPOT VIEW panning. No stuttering when using SPOT VIEW LOCKED or EZCA outside views or in VC.  I think the way the SPOT VIEW  implementation is done in FSX is causing this behavior.  I don't have heavy stuttering but just some skips upon panning in SPOT VIEW.  I was able to minimize this behavior by reducing the speed of the panning in CAMERAS.CFG (I am using PitchPanRate=7  and HeadingPanRate=22).  Looks better right now. I did it also for the SPOT VIEW LOCKED cam to have a slower looking smooth view. Are you using SPOT VIEW or SPOT VIEW LOCKED for your external panning ? Did you notice this also ?

I am using unlimited FPS and have Vsync Force to ON in Nvidia Inspector. That the only way I can have a smooth experience (tried locked FPS at 30 with 1/2 vsync etc, etc...no go for me)

I am now happy with the results, but I will see the real thing when addon scenery or heavy aircraft will be installed.

I will now start to load ORBX sceneries and few aircrafts to see how it goes..

Hi Mike

I use PitchPanRate=10, HeadingPanRate=25 for both Spot view and locked Spot View.  I generally use locked Spot View - no real reason other than I just got into the habit several years ago and haven't  bothered to change. I only use Spot View for screen shots as with the reduced panning speed I can get a much better resolution for small adjustments.

On my old computer (2 ghz core duo I never noticed the "jumpiness - if thats a word  ::) ) when panning but on my new machine I have encountered a similar situation to what you describe. I found changing panning rate worked to eliminate the issue.

Best regards

Renault

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all !

Finally done !  All my ORBX sceneries are installed and running well on FSX-SE/DX10.  I can now run LOD 6.5 on my new rig instead of 4.0 and blurry sceneries are gone. In average, with same settings,(except LOD at 6.5 vs 4.0), I get double FPS on my new PC vs the old one (i5-750/GTX470).

The only aircraft I have trouble with is the DC9 classic from Coolsky.  It does not install on Win10.. :(  I don't have any problems with other aircrafts.

I still have some stuttering on ground at HD airports and HD aircraft, but it runs smooth up in the air.  Anyone with similar PC specs having the same behavior ?

In the end, I am happy with the results but I was expecting much more with this new powerful PC.  I have to pull back auto gen density slider to get good results (I was hopping to have all at max. except water slider)

I think, someone with a not so old PC (2500K, 3770 etc) will not see much difference upgrading to new hardware...

I will have to test more with different settings ...

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎11‎:‎39‎, Capt Pugwash said:

Currently enjoying smooth flights in my NGX with Large airport add-ons and heavy Rex4 weather with no oom's :)

Hi Shaun !

I am still having hard time to have smooth sim on ground when located at some HD airports (CYUL by FLy Tampa, KJAC by ORBX...) with PMDG 777 or Airbus A319 or complex aircrafts.  The problem I have is stuttering when panning views.  Up in the air, the sim is smooth, or on ground with light aircraft.  I think with that kind of PC, I could have better results. 

Could you please PM me (or post here) your FSX.cfg / NI and Steve fixer setup ?  I am wondering what is making the difference vs my setup.  Also, I am running unlimited FPS with Vsync forced to ON, because locked at 30 (with NI 1/2 refresh rate) is worst. I can't understand how peoples could use this, it's so worse on my system.  So for now, I have a very smooth sim with light aircraft and not so much clouds...My settings are based on DX10 guide.

Thanks !

Archived