YMML Texturing

jmorvay1971

Just a nitpicky thing but am I seeing things or does the tarmac and runways have a rather rough look to them in P3D v2.5, kinda like the textures are not high enough resolution?  Yes, before you ask, I have my resolution bumped up in P3D but didn't seem to make a difference.

-Jim

You are not seeing things, they do appear "gravelly" in any resolution on both FSX and P3D. My understanding is that YMML was developed in the days of lower capability PCs thus less resolution was required to maintain a reasonable frame rate (data transfer rate and graphics card ability).

Don't get me wrong, I can overlook the textures but honestly, the airport seems to be out of place with the rest of ORBX's scenery, since the others have a much better resolution and/or quality. To the uneducated, like I was a few days ago, when you load your sim and you're sitting on the tarmac, you see this and immediately question if something broke, settings got screwed up, etc. lol

-Jim

As far as I remember, YMML (and YBBN) were some of the very first airports done by ORBX. They've been working their way round the globe since then. From what I've heard in other posts, both of those airports are pretty "old tech" and way beyond simple tweaks. They'd need re-done almost from scratch, apparently. Shame!

I'm not sure what I would do, if I were ORBX - re-work the "back catalogue" or create newer/better airports elsewhere. Hard call!

Adam.

Ok, so now I have to get picky.  If this was one of their first airports, fine, but they re-released this, marketing it as "re-built from the ground up"...

See here:  http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=1423

They state "...with stunning 7cm/pixel aerial imagery", uh sorry, not too stunning, in comparison to all the other airports by ORBX.

I bought this because I wanted an ORBX international airport because of the great reputation ORBX has for churning out great scenery.  I don't want to bash anyone here about the quality but if this airport sells for roughly the same price as other large scale airports, you'd think the quality of the imagery would be better.

I'm sorry this sounds like I am ranting and I don't mean any disrespect, but I'm really just trying to get a point across that even with a total re-work, re-build, why did they skimp on the quality of the imagery?  I have a fair amount of ORBX Australia scenery and airports but this one is a bit disappointing.  The modeling is great, that much is clear, it's just a bummer that the scenery goes grainy on the ground.

Adam, you mentioned YBBN as well and if they do get around to updating it for P3D v2, I may have to reconsider purchasing it if it has the same resolution as YMML.

-Jim

I am struggling to understand your complaint.

I have read the Flight Sim Store description and

it very clearly states that it includes

7cm/pixel imagery for aprons, taxiways and airport area around terminals

This is indeed very high quality imagery and where imagery is concerned

will stand comparison with any other FTX airport.

I can understand it not being to your taste, if you prefer

P3D generic ground textures on your taxiways and aprons

but it is not broken, it is just different to the mainstream.

Yes, it is different but should 7cm resolution look like this?  Maybe it's due to the modellers not creating polygons for the tarmac?  Just trying to understand where ORBX is coming from when they state high resolution but if you go to that airport and view the texturing, it isn't high res.

-Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad I happened upon this thread.  I am also experiencing the same issue with YMML.  Mainly, the taxiways and ramp areas appear to be missing textures or something.  It doesn't look anything like the screen shots on the website for the product.  Therefore, I am inclined to think that something may be wrong.  I just did a fresh reinstall of AUS SP4 and YMML in P3D V2.5 and it still appears the same way.  Clearly something must explain the huge difference between the screen shots on the website and what some of us are seeing in the sim??

I am pretty sure this has been answered already.  It's another statement made about the quality of the imagery that had been used, and I know I had previously questioned this, to which someone told me about the imagery resolution was not as high as the current airports.

Just a hunch. :)

-Jim

Archived