Scrambled Scenery in Three Regions

PaulSB

I'm sorry to have to ask for help a third time, but I am really having difficulty with this re-installation.  I re-installed Pacific Fjords DVD and its patches earlier today without a hitch.  I have just re-installed Pacific Northwest DVD and have got scrambled scenery in all three regions.  After re-starting my PC, and following your successful advice on Southern Alaska, I went to the insertion tool in Central 2, only to find that there was no "FTX" entry anywhere on the scenery list.  I re-started the PC again and found the "FTX" entry had appeared in its correct place at the top of the list and so clicked on the save changes button.  However, on loading up FSX I still got scrambled scenery across all three regions.  I don't know what to do next.  I would add that when the installation of each of the three regions completed, the old version of Central opened, which I then closed.  I wonder if this could perhaps be confusing the system. 

Thanks Nick.  I followed the instructions in the fix and it seems to have worked, though with an odd result that is worth reporting.  I was able to fly in Southern Alaska, Pacific Fjords and Pacific Northwest with good, stable scenery.  I then switched region to Oceania and got the following message: 'Error Switching Region.  Access to the path C\program files (x86)\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts\Backup\restore.bat is denied'.  The region then reverted to North America.  I clicked OK on the message, closed Central 2, then re-opened it and tried again, when the region changed without any message.  After a couple of flights in Australia and New Zealand, I changed region to North America and got the same error message.  I repeated my previous actions and the change worked.  After a flight in Pacific Northwest I tried changing region to Global, which worked properly.  I have now been able to change regions several times without any error message and the scenery is stable everywhere I fly.  So, thanks for your help, I will now re-install more of the American regions and airports and see how I get on.

In answer to spud's question: the PNW DVD dates back to 2011; I have the two patches but wanted to report the problem as I found it before installing them.

Regards,

Paul

I have just re-installed PNW patch 005, without a problem, followed by patch 008, when the scrambled scenery started again, not as badly as before, but still scrambling.  This is despite opening Central 2 as administrator and cycling through the regions before starting FSX in both cases.  I am not asking for help this time, but thought that I ought to report the situation.  I have never had a moment's problem with re-installing Orbx scenery before, but to have so much trouble now makes me wonder if my re-installation of FSX somehow became corrupted.  I am going to re-install FSX again and then see how I get on with the scenery.

Regards,

Paul 

Hi Paul:

Should you decide to reinstall, DO NOT install the FSX into the "C:\program files (x86)\Microsoft ...". That could be part of your problem. Install it into a separate directory. Also, for better or worse, I'm using Scenery Config Editor (google it) to shuffle the scenery files around. Much simpler and very easy to use.

Thanks Vlad, I have tried both ways of installing FSX and I must say that using a separate directory does seem to make it more stable. I should have done so this time, so I will make sure I do so now. I will have a look at Scenery Config Editor, thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

Paul

I have been re-installing my scenery and something has happened which is worth reporting. So far I have re-installed FSX, in its own folder as Vlad suggested, FS Global 2010 and its FTX compatible upgrade, Global Base 130, Global Vector 110, 115 and 120, all without problems. These installed the original version of Central. I then re-installed OpenLC NA Alaska Canada 110. During the installation the original Central's icon disappeared from my desktop and Central 2 opened, showing the installation, but it did not put an icon on my desktop or an entry in the start menu. The installation called for the latest version of Libs, so I installed 150815. When I came to fly, from Anchorage in Alaska, the scenery immediately scrambled. I have tried other locations in Alaska and Canada and the effect is the same. However, other parts of the World seem to be unaffected. There may be an issue here that is worth investigating.

Paul

Hi Paul,

perhaps this pinned post from the openLC forumk applies? http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/102019-if-you-see-strange-tiles-in-openlc/

Also, if you're using openLC NA together with FTX NA Regions make sure that the scenery priority is correct; see p.10 in the openLC NA manual.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger. The problem I have with your advice is that not only had I only got the global region in Central, not having re-installed any scenery areas yet, I no longer have a Central, it disappeared during the OpenLC re-installation. There is no icon on the desktop or entry in the start list. I could re-install north or south New Zealand to see if it restores Central, but I am a bit reluctant, in case it just makes matters worse. Any further advice will be gratefully received.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Holger,

Thanks for your help again.  I installed Central 2, then, to add another region to cycle between, I installed NCA and its patch 001.  I opened Central 2 and cycled between the regions a couple of times, then started FSX.  I have now flown around several locations in Alaska and Canada, and various other places in the world, and the scenery is completely stable.  Now that I have had a chance to appreciate it, I must congratulate you all, the OpenLC scenery is gorgeous!

I will now continue adding scenery and cycling between regions and see how I get on.  I will keep you posted in a few days.

Kind regards,

Paul

Archived