Air France

chumley

The latest is that they reported electrical faults after severe turbulance. Either way they are out of fuel now. My thoughts and prayers are with them.  :-\

There was no word from the crew - the information was received via an ACARS transmission.

This site has some interesting information if you weed out the speculation and sometimes utter rubbish.

http://www.pprune.org

Aybe

This will be the first hull loss for the A330 I believe. :( My thoughts go out to the family and friends for all aboard, lets hope for the best.

How is this possible though?

My flight training is limited but I thought that aircraft were insulated from lightning and stormy conditions. Yes, turbulance might cause some damage but surely the pilots should be able to deal with that. The papers are reporting that the plane got hit by lightning and this caused the electronics to malfunction and the cabin to depressurize.

Is that possible? I guess the probability of getting hit by lightining is extremely low but even then, I'd hope that an aircraft of that size and value would have the necessary equipment to handle that. Its a strange accident and a really tragic one. My thoughts go out to the families and I hope that they find the aircraft quickly.

How is this possible though?

My flight training is limited but I thought that aircraft were insulated from lightning and stormy conditions. Yes, turbulance might cause some damage but surely the pilots should be able to deal with that. The papers are reporting that the plane got hit by lightning and this caused the electronics to malfunction and the cabin to depressurize.

Is that possible? I guess the probability of getting hit by lightining is extremely low but even then, I'd hope that an aircraft of that size and value would have the necessary equipment to handle that. Its a strange accident and a really tragic one. My thoughts go out to the families and I hope that they find the aircraft quickly.

I suppose that mother nature is still boss... She can sink the largest ships, tear down the largest buildings and flatten the biggest bridges, so I suppose a 300 tonne airliner, despite all our technology is still vulnerable. Although there is no definite link between weather and the disappearance, many of the so called experts seem to be pointing that way. Aircraft are made to withstand 200,000 amps of electricity, and most lightning strikes have 30-40,000amps however if you have a large bolt hit a wing fuel tank..... Speculation never helps in these situations. I am sure more will come to light in coming days.

As said before, my thoughts are with the families now and of course the hope that whatever happened, happened quickly...

The papers are reporting that the plane got hit by lightning and this caused the electronics to malfunction and the cabin to depressurize.

The papers and the majority of Prune are F.O.S

They are speculating just like everyone else. No one person will know what happened until they find the black boxes on this one. And then the Atlantic is one very large and deep ocean so recovery maybe very very difficult. It's not like they would be finding the Titanic.

I am concerned personally as my father is current on this type. I want to know what happened as a safety thing more so than anything else. If something has malfunctioned in the worst way possible, Airbus need to resolve that on all A330/A340 aircraft. Why A340? Well it is a A330 with just two extra hairdryers. The cockpit is essentially the same as a A330, but it just has the extra two engines. Not much else differs. (Obviously size also... will add that before someone else does)

This one is gone people. Lets hope for all hope it was quick and no one suffered. RIP

First commercial hull loss of an A330, Airbus put one in during a test flight which so not generally not included in statistics.

Very sad, and very perplexing accidents at cruise are incredibly rare. I am pretty sceptical of lightning or turbulance being a specific cause, our aircraft get hit all the time with at the most a couple of rivet heads burnt of anf the HF radio being fried.

As usual in an aviation accident their are usually multiple causes, so perhaps consider the weather as a potential contributor rather than primary cause.

Here is an odd statistic. Air France has the unenvious role of loosing the first A320, A330, A340 and Concorde.  :-\

Possibly fire as a cause?

Hang on while I pull that magic answer out of where the sun doesn't shine...

Please stop speculating. Please read why in my post above. Wait for the facts.

While often ill informed, speculation is a natural human response.

Aviation accidents in particular are most commonly speculated on due to the complexity of the aircraft, the human interaction with the machine and the many mitigating factors all combining to meet up at this single event in time, which will most likely never occur again. How could this happen? What could possibly have gone wrong? The holes in the cheese often  line up when we least expect it.

Its something i personally find quite interesting.

I fear we will be waiting a very very long time for the facts on this one, unless the FDR and CVR are in relatively shallow water. So for most speculation will be all we have.

Very sad, my thoughts are with there families and friends...

Here's another piece of false info, Channel 10 reckon Virgin Blue operate a fleet of Airbus'.... ??? Something they're hiding from us? :P

Tom :)

If thats the case i broke the law today cause i certified for an aircraft i am not rated on

Brad,

Take it easy mate, this is a friendly forum, if I wanted to speculate I'd head over to pprune.

Sorry. Just sick of people wanting answers that no one person has at this present point in time.

I have a Father who flies the A330/A340 and thus I too want answers, but I want facts. We will not get them until those flight recorders are removed and inspected.

I personally don't give two hoots about speculation and realistically neither should anyone else even if it is human nature. The only role it plays in feeding journalists who haven't got enough material and provides no respect to the families with loved ones lost.

Geez, if you can't speculate here due to those on lofty horses, doesn't look like anyone's allowed to say anything but platitudes for the unfortunates and their families.  Climb down and let the other members be part of the conversation.

BTW, my brother is a recent A330 Captain and looking to move back into them.  I have  a sister who's a doctor -anyone for a medical putdown?

the idea of not knowing what happend is axactly why it is creating so much interest.

If we saw the wreckage on tv (we soon will) this would blow over like every other aviation accident.

not knowing means we are creating our own images of what might have gone through the minds of those on board, every last second in detail.

Would be nice if they didn't suffer, but that's wishfull thinking - the slightlest turbulence and my heart starts racing best of times.

scary to imagine this one.

what's the difference between speculation & imagination ? :-\

Archived