Strange anomaly at ends of runway EGTF Fairoaks

Dreamsofwings1

Hi all,

I have this strange object below appearing at the end of each runway at Fairoaks having run the solution to fix the problem of people and other objects not appearing at Fairoaks. Solution used was this http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/101546-pago-pago-no-people/?hl=%2Bpago+%2Bpago+%2Bno+%2Bpeopleand it worked a treat. Got all the people and the hot air balloon.

However now I have this issue with the object below and I have tried everything I can think of to fix it including reinstalling EGTF, installing the latest libraries, running it with and without REX, using the DX10 Fixer. I am stumped!. Was hoping to purchase another airfield this afternoon but spent hours scratching my head over this. Can anyone help?

fairoaks4f55e9.jpg

fairoaks5.jpg

Still absolutely baffled by this. Nothing I do seems to resolve it. As a last resort played around with the order in scenery libs as noticed that my lumberjack had dissapeared but still no luck. Temporarily switching ops back to Blackbushe until one of you experts can shed light on this. (Pardon the pun)

Slightly scarey when there are no replies! This must be something very unusual! Anyone at least have any pointers or ideas as to what it could be caused by? I'ts obviously a runway or taxi light that is glitching but I have no idea why apart from it is not a permanent feature. It appears at certain angles eg abeam the runway or sometimes on approach. There are no other defects on the scenery that I can make out. FPS is 15-24.

I just fired up a flight at Fairoaks and I don't see this.  I imagine no-one else is seeing it either.  Not sure what we can do.  You'd have to assume there's a problem with a bgl, but what?  There's no object there so a wrong texture call is unlikely.

I think I would untick all ORBX stuff in scenery library to confirm it's happening in the ORBX scenery.  Then tick England and the airport and see what happens.  At some stage the anomaly should appear.  Then completely delete all references in the ORBX folder to that or those programs (using search if necessary) and reinstall, esuring FTX Central is set correctly.

As it seems to be limited to your computer it might be up to you to track it down :-)

Thanks John, I appreciate you taking the time to take a look at this. Has me baffled. I have tried reinstalling Fairoaks yesterday but didnt solve it however I will try exactly what you said as perhaps doing a clean install of England and Fairoaks might do the trick. The anomaly is made up of images of different coloured lights but don't kniw from where. I wondered if it is some kind of conflict with Rex essentials but its only appeared since I ran the fix for missing people.

Ok so latest attempts to fix this....

1. Unchecked EU England and EGTF and no anomaly

2. Checked EU England but left EGTF unchecked and no anomaly

3. Checked both and get a load of error messages about various orbx libs files that need to be deleted because of errors but when flight begins I have ground aircraft, vehicles but no people and no balloon but also NO anomaly.

4. Reinstall orbx libs, having deleted it, and i don't have anything apart from buildings and airfield.

5. Reinstall EGTF followed by ORBX libs and back to square one with people etc and the anomaly is back.

So it seems to be something to do with when peopleflow etc is working that this object appears. Baffled.

now done uninstall of  EU England and EGTF followed by reinstall and it is still there.  At least I know I am not only one because a chap has posted the same issue some time ago, same location on the A2A forum but there is no solution there either. 

If there is anything further I can do to help an expert diagnose then please let me know.  Did consider posting a video showing it appearing but not sure if that helps?  Apologies for keeping on posting but I feel the more information I add the easier it is to diagnose and might help someone else in the future. 

Hi Rob

What I can tell you is that there is another _EGTF.bgl that is not in the Orbx folders and it's overlapping. Some of these third party add on even place themselves within the Orbx folders.

So, do you have any traffic software? If you do, maybe it's the culprit!

It may also be another EGTF third party add on.

It's in this direction that you should research.

Cheers,

Voyager

Update - I just purchased EGHI (my lord it is a beautiful piece of work!  Landed there recently and I was able to taxi to exact same spot in FSX and walk around to the point I got a taxi using Bob!) and have no similar issues to the above.  No artifacts and lighting seems brighter.  Only errors I could see were a couple of flickering motorway bridges in the M27 to the East of rnwy threshold and a flickering pitch at the football ground.  Not sure if this is linked to the problem at Fairoaks in some way.

Also getting flickering shadows under static a/c but seen elseswhere that this sometimes occurs.

So the above Fairoaks issue is still a mystery but great job on EGHI, it is fantastic!

Still not getting anywhere with this. I have since installed global base, vector and openLC, flown many sorties from ORBX EGHI and done a few hops over in France and Cyprus and not seeing this glitch anywhere but at Fairoaks. Frustrating because it is a great piece of scenery but with this glitch its pretty much ruined.

....object seems to be comprised of ORBX_SRA-LightObjects.dds and ORBS_SRA_LightObjects_LM.dds found in the FTX_AA_EGTD/Texture folder...

Try cutting those two files out of your FSX folder (put them somewhere you can retrieve them) and see if it affects any other sceneries?  If not then that might be a workaround...

Try cutting those two files out of your FSX folder (put them somewhere you can retrieve them) and see if it affects any other sceneries? If not then that might be a workaround...

Hi John,

Took the two files out and instead got the object below, so something is obviously calling for those specific ORBX textures in some way.

(Airfield is blurred because this was taken in the circuit and I zoomed in(

fairblobk.jpg

Yeah the textures are missing so the object has the default FSX logo applied.

All I can suggest now is that somewhere along the line an add-on (could be scenery, traffic, an aircraft, etc) has placed an object at that point in the scenery.  If it cannot be located a complete reinstall of FSX might be the only cure (not just the FSX uninstall, but a complete wipe of the FSX folder and any User files as well).  In the long run it can save time, as I have found in the past.

Yeah the textures are missing so the object has the default FSX logo applied.

All I can suggest now is that somewhere along the line an add-on (could be scenery, traffic, an aircraft, etc) has placed an object at that point in the scenery.  If it cannot be located a complete reinstall of FSX might be the only cure (not just the FSX uninstall, but a complete wipe of the FSX folder and any User files as well).  In the long run it can save time, as I have found in the past.

Appreciate your help John. This one has me stumped!

There are just two things that don't make sense, if you could possibly explain...

1.  This object only appears when objectflow is working properly i.e. I didn't have this issue before when there where no people or the balloon in the scenery.  I fixed that problem, the people and the balloon appeared, and so did my little pop up disco tent.   So that indicates it is related to something in objectflow?

2.  This object is calling for those specific ORBX textures that are within the Fairoaks folder, which indicates to me it has been generated within ORBX scenery,   so therefore is it something happening between my FTX EU England and the airfield scenery?  I don't have any other addons operating in this region apart from ORBX and Rex Essentials but it's the fact that these particular textures, that aren't FSX generic, are being called up that leads me in the blind hope that I can fix it with a tweak or two within my ORBX scenery.

I ask the questions out of my own ignorance and lack of understanding in how the software works under the surface!

I am using FSX Steam Edition so just trying to avoid having to download that again and doing the complete reinstall of everything unless I absolutely have to :)

Many thanks,

Rob

You and me both.  I have no idea what your problem is.  A complete reinstall isn't so bad... I have done it every 18 mths to two years, it takes a week otr so to get everything installed but flying in the installed sections as you go is quite invigorating...

There is an option in FSX to show the name of any missing texture. The texture name might help you to identify the trouble maker:

Please insert "ShowMissingTextureAlert=1" into the FSX.cfg file in the section [sCENERY] . 

(=1 is active, =0 is deactivated)

Wulf

Thanks Wulf, I did this and it threw up a few surprises but hasn't provided any hint as to a solution.

So the two files that make up the offending object came up as missing ( I had renamed them ) when I approached Fairoaks but also the following three came up as missing textures..

ORBX_GROUND_EQUIPMENT_020.bmp

ORBXLIBS_MEDIUM_LARGE-GATE.DDS

ORBX_VEG2.DDS

Does this shed any light or point to a cause?

I have latest ORBS libraries installed.

Hi there,

I don't have the first two files either on my PC; not sure about the medium_large-gate texture (I have a ORBXlibs_Medium_Large_gate.dds) but the ground-equipment file has an equivalent .dds version so the .bmp isn't needed anyway.

What's odd is the listing of ORBX_VEG2.DDS as that is a commonly used OrbxLibs texture for 3D grass, which definitely is part of the current OrbxLibs (150815 15th AUGUST 2015). Can you check in {FSX}/\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Texture that this file exists?

In any case, if just a texture file was missing the sim would just display the object in its native-material color, usually black; it shouldn't show an odd box or some other texture instead. I'm wondering whether this is perhaps an issue with a duplicate set of library files but let's see first what your search for ORBX_VEG2.DDS reveals.

Cheers, Holger

Hi there,

I don't have the first two files either on my PC; not sure about the medium_large-gate texture (I have a ORBXlibs_Medium_Large_gate.dds) but the ground-equipment file has an equivalent .dds version so the .bmp isn't needed anyway.

What's odd is the listing of ORBX_VEG2.DDS as that is a commonly used OrbxLibs texture for 3D grass, which definitely is part of the current OrbxLibs (150815 15th AUGUST 2015). Can you check in {FSX}/\ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\Texture that this file exists?

In any case, if just a texture file was missing the sim would just display the object in its native-material color, usually black; it shouldn't show an odd box or some other texture instead. I'm wondering whether this is perhaps an issue with a duplicate set of library files but let's see first what your search for ORBX_VEG2.DDS reveals.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holgar,

No the ORBX_VEG2.DDS is missing even after reinstalling latest libraries.

Incidentally I have two folders in my appdata/roaming/Microsoft folder.  One for FSX with a ddl file in it and one for FSX-SE that also has a DDL file in it.  I copied over the DDL from the FSX-SE folder into the FSX folder but no change in the errors or missing textures.

I'm my registry I have the following

registry.jpg

Could this be a clue to a conflict. Co-existence mode is set to 0 which I believe is 'off'? I uninstalled the boxed version of FSX before installing the Steam Version but is this a 'ghost' in the registry that might be causing ORBX libraries to miss a trick?

Also is there a way of completely uninstalling libraries to do a fresh install just in case there are two sets somewhere?

Cheers,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't done the big reinstall but have re-downloaded and re-installed (again) the latest orbx libs and this issue still there.  also seeing these mystery "posts" in various places that seem to appear and dissapear in the distance.  also getting some stuttering and ORBX_VEG2.DDS plus the others listed earlier are missing. Do the posts add any clues as to the cause of my issue? 

posts.jpg​

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help and patience helping me to sort this out, especially John. The reinstall has fixed this issue at fairoaks and I am not seeing he posts either. I have also got a huge boost in frame rates but then I haven't installed rex essentials yet! I also haven't done the tweaks yet and right now tempted just to leave it! I also took the opportunity to reinstall outside of the Program Files folder.

Oh dear, spoke too soon. Installed EZDOK and it is back. Uninstalled EZDOK and it is still there.

Now that's weird.  Defies explanation.  Unless somehow someone has messed with an EZYDOK file...

I download the EZCA file from Flight1 each time I have to reinstall... for some reason it was once required (I don't know if it still is) so just to e on the safe side I've kept up the habit

Now that's weird.  Defies explanation.  Unless somehow someone has messed with an EZYDOK file...

I download the EZCA file from Flight1 each time I have to reinstall... for some reason it was once required (I don't know if it still is) so just to e on the safe side I've kept up the habit

Yes it has got me stumped! How on earth could EZDOK be causing this object, and the distant poles to appear? Very frustrating after reinstalling everything. Uninstalling EZDOK didn't remove the issue so it has made a change to something within FSX Steam. I am going to try and reinstall EZDOK from a fresh download from flight 1 to see if that does anything and if it doesn't I will just have to leave it I think.

just reinstalled EZDOK and issue still there.  I think now I am going to (temporarily) wave a white flag and just stay away from EGTF until an update to something somewhere down the line fixes it!  I would rather have EZDOK as I think it really ads to the sim and would be silly to reinstall again and leave it off just for the sake of his object at Fairoaks and the odd giant pole.  Many thanks for your help John!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Installed new libraries and departed Fairoaks in hope but now, these objects are still appearing.  Very frustrating as I love the scenery but completely ruins it that these things are appearing.  In the time since my last post has anyone else experienced this?

only thing I would add is that it appears to be effected by altitude.  At lower levels they don't appear but as you climb up they 'rise', from the ground, starting as a thin layer and growing to a tallish portocabin made of oversized light textures.

ok another thing I have found is that the "posts" that I can see in the distance are actually where bridges are when I get closer.  As I turn my head to a certain angle they disappear when closer.  Does this add any clues?  Really keen to get this fixed as I want to use my scenery.

Hi there,

there was a similar issue with these extrusion bridges in a couple of other locations a while back and one of our users found a solution by editing the camera.cfg file. Perhaps EZDOK makes changes to that file that cause this behavior? See

Cheers, Holger

Holgar, I can't thank you enough!!

As you can see from this thread I have been trying to fix this issue of the objects at the runway thresholds for a long time and thanks to your post I made that adjustment and it is all fixed.  I have just managed to fly several circuits with a huge grin plastered across my face as I survey a beautiful Fairoaks airfield with no weird objects!

Thank you so much sir!

Archived