? about NA Open LC

aujeffk

I have another landclass product that I've had for years.

I've also got FTX Global.  Besides the obvious integration, what are some specific advantages?  I'm specifically interested in some of the specialty textures created for this.

Any help is appreciated in helping my buying decision.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Difficult to answer as you are a bit cryptic  :) about the product you own !  The two LC products I know, SceneryTech and Cloud9 LCs, are much older products, from the FS9 or early FSX era. Since then, the scenery design know-how has made great progresses. These two are also known to be incomplete. They were good interim solutions (I still use SceneryTech IndoPacific in waiting OpenLC Asia !). OpenLC is the real thing. If you are referring to UT X, this is a different kind of product.

Also, as Global and OpenLC are in the same family products, there is no risk of landclass calls to aberrant textures. 

To complement what Cabby said, you can also have a look at  the OpenLC NAN users manual which is free to download on the product page. Now a last comment, OrbX has made OpenLC available at 14 USD... Not a big gamble in any case, is it ?

OpenLC also includes a handful of new custom landclass textures exclusive to North America in addition to the palette provided with Global.

Yes, I was being "cryptic" in that I didn't want to name the other product..UTX.  One thing I liked about UTX was having certain textures (i.e. university) textures because they defined it as a landclass and they had specialty textures.  I'm trying to decide between Jarrad's new airport (Vail) and Open LC NA.  Trying to discern if it's something completely different.  

Yes they are completely different.  Open LC NA Alaska/Canada is Land Class for a very large region of the world and costs about $20 AU while KEGE is an extremely detailed airport scenery that encompasses a smaller area around the airport in much finer detail than just regular ORBX regional scenery and cost about $33 AU.

Hey Spud...thanks for responding.  I know the differences between these two products...I was asking about the differences between Open LC NA and UTX...if it's similar, then I'll get Jarrad's airport.  If it's different enough, I'll probably get open LC since I've got FTX Global.

UTX is primarily a vector product. It has some limited custom landclass additions (such as you mention, universities, docks etc), but mainly it's vector.

As such, Open LC and UTX are two very different products.

If you have FTX Global Vector, that would essentially replace UTX and OpenLC is designed to compliment it as part of the overall FTX Global plan.

I get the impression however that you use UTX in lieu of FTX Vector. If this is indeed the case, there are a number of potential conflicts that may appear... OpenLC includes a lot of vector based road and rail encasements which are designed to fit FTX Vector. They may well line up just fine with UTX but this can't be guaranteed. Additionally, the custom landclass provided by UTX is designed to blend with the more washed out color palette of default textures. They will stand out quite noticeably against FTX Global textures, and the additional OpenLC textures.

That said, you will see a marked improvement of the overall landclass and textures across thd board... UTX will simply add it's vector features on top of the OpenLC textures.

Hey Spud...thanks for responding.  I know the differences between these two products...I was asking about the differences between Open LC NA and UTX...if it's similar, then I'll get Jarrad's airport.  If it's different enough, I'll probably get open LC since I've got FTX Global.

OpenLC Canada/Alaska and UTX Canada running in conjunction, is a two-punch knock-out!   I am visually enjoying the combo very, very much.

Archived