Flying away from the UK and Norway

kiki

I am a huge fan of ORBX ENG, SCO and NOR. Now I would like to do some flights to other parts of Northern and Western Europe. After  the ORBX regions, default FSX scenery looks so... Wel, you know.

However, purchasing Global Base, Vector and Open LC Europe all together makes is too much for my poor old credit card.

If I will buy them one by one, what would be the right order to do so? If I had only one or two of the mentioned products, would the FSX world look better than it does now? And finally, will they work without problems with the regions mentioned above?

IMO, Global will give you the greatest gain as a one off purchase (and it covers everywhere especially as well). I stumped up for OpenLC and Vector together, so can't help much with which way to go there.

Mike

Hi kiki,

You've excellent regions. Now when you get out of these regions, not to feel a strong shock to the overall look, the natural is to be with a base of compatible and good textures as well. So FTX Global Base becomes the natural choice, as it was advised by Mickel above.

Cheers,

Voyager

Vector and OpenLC are addons to Global which has to be purchased first anyway. You don't have much choice. Global will give you nicer textures but the shorelines, rivers and landclass calls will still be default if you don't get the other two...  Getting the three is the only way to fly over convincing landscapes inn Europe, outside fat regions.

All the three work without any problem with the fat regions.  

Hi Kiki,

if you really want to start with full fat regions, it is just up to your interests. All are really good:

Either you go to Australia (get the full pack, plus the heck of freeware around, we´ll tell you what to use) - and you have at least half a year to discover.

Or you start with Pacific Northwest (get the Orbx freeware around) - a good area, but I propose you soon end up buying the neighboring regions, too.

I can not comment on NZL...

But my basic saying is: You need to find out what area strikes you most. I currently travel a lot in the Global sceneries (do not forget, besides Global base & vectors you need to have a good mesh add-on for Global also).

Hi Kiki,

if you really want to start with full fat regions, it is just up to your interests. All are really good:

Either you go to Australia (get the full pack, plus the heck of freeware around, we´ll tell you what to use) - and you have at least half a year to discover.

Or you start with Pacific Northwest (get the Orbx freeware around) - a good area, but I propose you soon end up buying the neighboring regions, too.

I can not comment on NZL...

But my basic saying is: You need to find out what area strikes you most. I currently travel a lot in the Global sceneries (do not forget, besides Global base & vectors you need to have a good mesh add-on for Global also).

He said he wanted fly to 'to other parts of Northern and Western Europe' so other FTX regions do not apply here. And since default mesh in those areas is sufficient, addon mesh isn't a must either. I would advice to get Global first: as others said you need this before OpenLC and Vector will do you any good. I personally only fly in Norway but have Global installed because you can see a lot of Sweden when you fly near its borders and with default scenery that sucks big time. ;)

If you are going to spend more time outside of the regions, you could get OpenLC too, to make things look even better (more localized textures and better texture placement). I personally am not a fan of Vector... too much clutter, too much impact on performance, too much problems with elevations... but well, that's my very personal and very subjective view of course.

Right now I only have FTX Norway installed but if I would want to fly anywhere else, it would be in other regions (I own most of them) because FTX regions are and will always be superior to Global+OpenLC+Vector...

Northern and Western Europe'  . And since default mesh in those areas is sufficient, addon mesh isn't a must 

The Alps or the Pyrenées or the Appenines etc. definitely benefit from a sharper 3rd party mesh. Now, the Netherlands you may not see much difference, there I agree :lol: . 

LOL You've got that right about the Netherlands! :)

My main point was that Gerold made it sound as if mesh was mandatory, which it isn't. Well, depending on where you fly. ;) But for the mentioned European parts and a flight out there every now and then, Global will do for starters. Just trying to save Kiki some money here. ;)

Archived