Knocking around Salinas

Stoopy

Decided to make the jump to DX10 this weekend.  Which meant a foray into the land of Steve's Fixer....which then led to a foray into the land of SweetFX (the Law of FSX demands that one thing always lead to another).  When all was said and done, it was time for some pleasure flying.  What a great job the Orbx team has done in making this sim so fantastic.

Salinas_01.jpg

Salinas_02.jpg

Salinas_03.jpg

Salinas_04.jpg

Salinas_05.jpg

I like those shots, Stoopy. What Piper it is?

'Tis an American Champion Aircraft (ACA) 8GCBC Scout... formerly manufactured by Bellanca, and is a kin to the aerobatic-capable 7GCBC Citabria and fully-aerobatic 7KCAB Decathlon and 8KCAB Super Decathlon... all three variants of which share their lineage going way back to the beloved old Aeronca Champ.    The Scout has a longer wingspan than the Citabria and Decathlon, and makes a great bush / utility plane... maybe not quite as good in the tight, short stuff as a Piper Super Cub, but the Scout is faster and roomier according to pilots who have flown both.  Unlike the Cub, Scouts, Citabrias and Dekes are still being manufactured today by ACA. 

As ryanbatc says, it's one of the first native FSX aircraft, and I would argue, still one of the finest.  A good-looking, highly detailed, great-performing plane that's easy on frame rates with a very authentic and enjoyable flight model.  The RealAir 2007 Scout package is very sweet since they give you wheeled, float and tundra tire versions of the Scout, plus the Citabria and Decathlon variants, all of which have unique characteristics. Plus, it's been around for a while so there are tons of great liveries.  Of all the aircraft in my hangar (and I've had FSX since it was first released) this is the *one* plane that I always come back to and puts a smile on my face.  Might even say it saved FSX for me.  As you can guess from the way I'm going on about it, I highly recommend you check it out.

I'm always on the lookout for another really great bushplane package that's in the same league, and as a disclaimer I haven't dabbled with (but have been considering) the Aerosoft Beaver X...if anyone has their own must-have bushplane packages I'm all ears....

(and thanks for the kind comments on the screenies, everyone!).   :)

Archived