How many members are flying in P3D v 1.4?

anfield ace

Not me ... I did buy P3DV2 too and took up LM's good offer of 28 day refund ... I'm hearing the next version will be a V3 series and still no 64 bit change they have semi promised, so don't want to pay out again for minor changes, very happy with FSX and Steve's DX10 fixer until LM decided to go with 64 bit or not, watching with interest what Dovetail are doing to with another semi promised future sim.

v1.4. has been kind of a warming up for LM :)

And no doubt V2.x has been a warming up for the forthcoming V3 ... this is why I took my refund on V2 ... just wish if LM are going to go to 64 bit they would cut to the chase, must cost the developers time and money keeping up to date with LM's tiny upgrades that happened on the V2 path and if they do same with V3 LM are talking about I just see it getting more complicated.

To my mind a base Flight sim should be in extended development until its as near as perfect as can be (impossible I know but near enough would do) then the after market guys can have free reign without constant updates and tying up resources and indeed some developers just calling it a day trying to stay in touch with a moving target.

1% of NSTU users have installed into P3Dv1.4

That statistic does not surprise me.

Are LM going to charge again for V3? they did from V1.4 to V2

I still have 1.4 installed but I don't use it any more. At this point I think both FSX (with the DX10 fixes) and P3D v2 are superior platforms. P3D 1.4 was my sim of choice for a long time, though.

And no doubt V2.x has been a warming up for the forthcoming V3 ... this is why I took my refund on V2 ... just wish if LM are going to go to 64 bit they would cut to the chase, must cost the developers time and money keeping up to date with LM's tiny upgrades that happened on the V2 path and if they do same with V3 LM are talking about I just see it getting more complicated.

To my mind a base Flight sim should be in extended development until its as near as perfect as can be (impossible I know but near enough would do) then the after market guys can have free reign without constant updates and tying up resources and indeed some developers just calling it a day trying to stay in touch with a moving target.

I don't think v3 will be 64-bit, as that would be a major project that would almost certainly break compatibility with earlier addons.  Before that it's probably more important to improve the code base in terms of memory efficiency, threading, GPU usage, better algorithms, etc, before making that big step.  So these minor steps may be a hassle for addon devs, but at least they maintain compatibility.  Also, a 64-bit project would really have to be done in tandem with addon companies creating content, so that their ideas are taken into account and there will be stuff to use at launch.  I'm sure that the Orbx devs (and others) have a host of ideas about what they'd like a next-gen sim to be capable of, so I'd expect quite a bit of design liaison between LM and devs before such a project kicks off.

Maybe this is happening in secret right now, but I doubt it.  Though I'd love to be wrong on that!

I was using it until couple of months before. Now, I am fully moved to P3d v2. I was happy with 1.4, it was way smoother than v2. But, I love how v2 looks.

Hi Emin

Beware that V2.x autogens and more generally display parameters, are not calibrated at all like in the old FSX/P3D1.4. If you just transposed the level of the sliders you had in 1.4 into 2.5., everything being equal (your video card among others) you may have problems. Your v2.x should be smooth. 

Hi Dominique,

You're probably right. I think my gtx680 isn't cooping with v2. I need to replace it with 980.

At the same level of autogen, V2.x brings more buildings and vegies and it shifts the processing load onto the graphic card. A 680 which is indeed a little weak IMO, migth be ok if you go back one notch or two.

I only use P3Dv2, but still keep FSX and 1.4 for software testing but I have NO problems with v2. 

For those that pine for V3 in 64 bit, please remember that with that change, you will replace all of your ORBX and all of your aircraft.  I fear that some of the old classics will simply fade away for a long time until someone does a complete upgrade.  Just look at this fact....ORBX still hasn't the job of converting all of the titles to V2, the conversion to a 64 bit platform could take 2 or 3 times as long AND it is likely that some titles won't make the cut.  While I would love to see a 64 bit upgrade, I think it will take many years until we have full coverage in scenery and aircraft. And the viability of a new platform has to concern developers.  There are still huge numbers of simmers using FS9, FSX despite their age.  Until then, I think that P3Dv2 is the best we have and even if V3 is still 32 bit, there will be additional growing pains.  The good news is simulators are getting better.

Not to mention that   " nominal fee "   for V3 OrbX sceneries. Since I own 122 of them, that's a killer.  I could never afford to switch. I can barely keep up with the new products. Right now, I have everything, but that could change any minute. So I'll stay with P3D v2, with FTX for all my non OrbX scenery.

LOL

Sue

A 64-bit sim would likely kill off FS9, but not FSX/P3D-32.  It would take a while to build up a good selection of addons, so apart from the early innovators, the transition would be gradual.  Increasingly, many people would have both - the best of both worlds would be a limited (but growing) availability of very-high quality addons, as well as continuing to use the plentiful 32-bit range we have today.  However, as time goes on, Sim64 would become mainstream, and FSX would occupy the same niche that FS9 does today.

All this is assuming they do it right, and the improvements are good enough for customers to want it.  It would be a major expense to switch and build up a new collection, though perhaps that could be sweetened by devs offering a nominal discount to existing customers for the same areas.  Which means none of this will happen until the improvements really are substantial enough to be worth that expense.

I have spent mucho time and moolah getting a computer configured to work well with FSX-boxed. And the goal was reached--everything works well, even with sliders turned up. ORBX looks as good as I could ask. So I feel like a curmudgeon in asking whether it's really necessary to leave all this and switch to P3D. From what folks have said on this Forum, the difference isn't all that great. Can't I just stay with my really nice horse and buggy and be happy while you folks whizz past in your fancy horseless carriages?

Not to mention that   " nominal fee "   for V3 OrbX sceneries. Since I own 122 of them, that's a killer.  I could never afford to switch. I can barely keep up with the new products.

Sue

Depends on the amount of the nominal fee. If it's 1-2$ per scenery I'll be in :) Certainly not if it's 50 % of the full price.

A volume discount might be a kind offer to people like you and me.

Time will tell, however, my crystal ball says we're not too far away from 3.0.

Kinds regards, Michael

I don't think it could be more than a nominal fee, as the new sceneries should be very different (structure, content) to take advantage of the new technologies.  Which means a lot of manpower & ingenuity to create them, i.e. cost.  Maybe a certain amount of the assets used to create earlier scenery could be re-used, but as the main costs are man-hours that would only reduce it a little.

A volume discount would also help, but that would just be a more generous nominal fee - the point is that the production costs will be very real, not just a simple conversion.

That's referring to a Sim64 though - P3D V3 may be sooner, still 32-bit and compatible with now.  But with a bunch of improvements to the codebase, such as solutions for the high-altitude problems that stubbornly prevent those last FSX conversions.

Right.

Returning on topic, I was using versions 1.2-1.4 when they were current. Deinstalled 1.4 the moment I had 2.0 up and running and never looked back.

Sorry, for another off topic remark: I am not sure if 2.5 at the latest patch level is much better compared to 2.0 seen overall. IMO there's a tradeoff between fixed bugs/improvements on the one hand and features having been lost plus added issues on the other hand.

Kind regards, Michael

Oops -  I meant discount, not fee...

But I went straight to P3D 2.x from FSX, with a newer machine.  While I don't doubt there are pros and cons, I wonder how many on 2.x would wish to go to the earlier version.

If memory serves me right, one of the earlier versions (2.1?) was pretty good. After having ironed out some initial issues, it did not yet have the later fatal OOM issues but did blend in autogen more smoothly.

This is of course a pure user's view. LM certainly have done quite a number of optimizations under the hood pointing into the future since then.

Kind regards, Michael

I have purchased FSX SE and X-Plane 10 and DCS world with some DLC. I never use any of them. I have completely abandoned MS FSX. I have not an ounce of belief that Dovetail will release anything other than a video game. I never purchased P3D V1.4. I use P3D V2.5 exclusively and it is loaded up with ORBX and other p3d scenery utilities and aircraft and runs in high setting in SLI at FPS that I wouldn't have believed possible ( up to 50 in the VC of that 777 and sometimes way over 60fps in other views. Though also as low as 15 FPS in certain on the ground scenarios). The only thing wrong with it is OOMs at the destination Airport easily remedied by a top of decent save and restart. And SLI issues.

IMO Prepar3D is the Future of the hobby for the Home Simulator enthusiast. If the question is do we still need a triple installer. I would say No, just put all your eggs in one basket and only make scenery for P3D VX and send a message to LM saying look what we did. We are not worthy, we are not worthy.

Archived