Error writing to file

Wallaby

Gday,

I have purchased two ORBX products, the first seemed to have installed correctly, however the second continually has the following issue:

extract: error writing to file OrbxFTXAUSP4.003.exe

I have uninstalled, deleted, re-downloaded with the same error each time.

Any helpful idea's on what may be the issue?

Kind Regards

OK, as an update, I downloaded the two freeware sceneries available (Tasmania and Pacific North West) both installed and play well...

YPJT plays well..

I then purchased Orbx - FTX: NA KTVL Lake Tahoe Airport and it has the same error as above...

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

You had a download error for Australia SP4 so it´s not installed and you need it istalled first for the Aussie airports.If it´s not installed it´s of course impossible to write to the OrbxFTXAUSP4.003.exe-file. 

For Lake Tahoe it says "Designed for FTX NA NorCal" on the product page so I guess you need it first before installing the airport.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Thanks for the response Jack the swede in Spain..

The first error is when running AUSP4 exe-file which is the Australia SP4..

For the record though, YPJT runs perfectly without the Australian SP4 file installed correctly (it would seem) so I am assuming it would be the same for KTVL...but could be wrong (and I usually am)

Thanks for trying to help though

Gday jabble,

I have 621GB spare on the drive and as I was able to install the other three items I am assuming I am installing as administrator, but have no idea how to confirm..

Kind Regards

Is the write error happening during the unwrapping or the install?  I guess unwrapping creates temporary files, which may be in a different place than the install drive, e.g. \Windows\temp.  If it's trying to write an .exe, that looks like the unwrapping stage.

I don't know what happens under the hood of the unwrap, but my guess is that temporary files go to the default Windows temp directory.  You can check where this is at:

Start Button->Computer->Properties->Advanced System Settings->Environment Variables->User  Variables.

It should be on the C: drive unless you changed it, so make sure your C: drive has enough space.  Alternatively, you can create a temp dir on another drive, and edit that variable to point to it. Reboot to make it so.

The OP may also want to check the download size vs. where ever it was purchased.  I'd expand on Ed's suggestion but go a step further in making sure anything being downloaded for ORBX is downloaded with a download manager.  I stepped in that pothole way too many times in the past and bugged the heck outta me.  I finally wised up and started using getright and all those issues were gone.

-Jim

Thanks Jim, I read an article in a link from Ed above, written by Ian Routley, and now I always use Internet Download Manager (how did I ever manage without it), but great tip and thanks

Thanks again Jabble, but no effect. I linked the path to my D Drive which I know has 612GB and still has the same error at the same location in the progress bar...

It looks as though its only the exe file (514mb) that tries to open in the temp folder and I have 900mb available on that drive...

It looks as though its only the exe file (514mb) that tries to open in the temp folder and I have 900mb available on that drive...

Windows itself creates on-the-fly temporary files for all sorts of purposes, and 900 MB free space on any drive is tiny. I suspect (but don't know) that's part of the problem. At the very least, fragmentation will be a problem, i.e. there's possibly not enough contiguous space on that drive.

I suggest trying to clear off enough space to leave several GB free there, and then do a defrag before running the unpack/install again. To defrag, open the file browser, right-click on the drive, then Properties->Tools->Defragmentation.

Good morning jabble,

I have had the computer for a couple of years and system says today was first de-fragmentation of the disk...only 22% de-fragmented...lol

So with the C and D drive defragmented, the user and system variables set to D:\temp, both programs unwrapped and installed without a hitch...

So, I thank you all very much for the assistance....and patience....

This one can be marked as solved.

Kind Regards

Good that you're sorted!

You can schedule the defragger, e.g. for the wee hours of the morning once a week.  Be careful about filling the system disc, though, as performance tends to drop as it nears 100% capacity.

Edit: Oh, and it's generally advised not to defrag a SSD.

Archived