Looking for a good map/chart Viewer for Prepar3d

teecee

I would like to run the viewer on my second monitor, and the program would preferably come with world charts installed, but if this is not available most certainly at least North America, the British Isles and Australia. I have looked around on the web and see that one of the offerings is from LM.. Has anyone any experience of this or any of the programs available? I have Plan-g and FSmovingmap, but they fall a bit short of what I am seeking.. Teecee

Hi Teecee,

If you mean navigation charts, I don't use any chart program, just skyvector on a browser, which you might find acceptable.

For approach charts, usually each country has their own collection of downloadable PDFs on a website, e.g. USA, Canada, UK.

There may be programs that combine all these, but I'm not aware of them.

I use skyvector for the enroute & VFR charts, and simplates ultra for the IFR approach and departure procedures. Simplates isn't perfect, but it's close enough most of the time. Considering it's a relatively cheap single source, I'm happy with it.

Mike

I use the freeware utility moving map from Blue Sky Scenery. It's similar to SkyVector but overlays your aircrafts position on the map. It also has numerous awesome other features, weather radar overlay for example is very handy! :)

Here's the manual:

http://www.blueskyscenery.com/BSSMM_Manual.html

Here's the download:

http://aviosim.serverthuis.nl:2000/BlueSkyScenery/BSSMM/BSSMM_1.2.zip

I agree to Eric, Simlauncher provides an excellent moving map, and much more. And it's free, so you don't loose anything when you try it.

Aivlasoft is indeed powerful, but when I last used it it required you to necessarily file a flight plan. I often don't have time for this (I know, I should...) when just an hour is left after work in the night. When you are prepared to file a plan, it's indeed nice with ist charts automatically adapting to the stage of your flight.

Kind regards, Michael

I agree to Eric, Simlauncher provides an excellent moving map, and much more. And it's free, so you don't loose anything when you try it.

Aivlasoft is indeed powerful, but when I last used it it required you to necessarily file a flight plan. I often don't have time for this (I know, I should...) when just an hour is left after work in the night. When you are prepared to file a plan, it's indeed nice with ist charts automatically adapting to the stage of your flight.

Kind regards, Michael

With the Aivlasoft all you need to do is enter the airport you are at...no flight plan required...and the ground airport maps for taxing are by far the best on the market. :)

Hi Doug,

maybe this deviates a bit from the topic, but as far as I recall Aivlasoft shows the whole flight with corresponding appropriate maps on the top, how can this be done without filing a plan first? Maybe I should try it again, while I have a license, I didn't try it since switching to Prepar3d2, and for some time it was not compatible (I know it is today).

And yes, the ground maps are indeed excellent.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Doug,

maybe this deviates a bit from the topic, but as far as I recall Aivlasoft shows the whole flight with corresponding appropriate maps on the top, how can this be done without filing a plan first? Maybe I should try it again, while I have a license, I didn't try it since switching to Prepar3d2, and for some time it was not compatible (I know it is today).

And yes, the ground maps are indeed excellent.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Micheal

I found the Aivlasoft EFB can be used in different ways and It has so many features....and to be honest...I use it mostly for the ground maps as it switches automatically to the ground at touch down (and to flight mode at lift off), and all that is required for that, is a departure and arrival location ICAO and an altitude entered....for just a moving map that shows navaid locations and other basic data, all that is required is the departure ICAO entered in both and any alltitude (doesnt matter). It is also fully touch screen compatible and would be great for those using tablets....the other feature that I like and use, is if you enter the actual dep/arrival ICAO with correct intended alltitude, it will show top of climb(T/C) and T/D locations and rate of desend numbers required...all these values can be changed on the fly as well...you can also add and remove data from the screen as required....

FlightSim Commander (FSC9.xxx) is similar but has some nicer features and uses a sim connect that puts you on the ground at the proper location automatically with even less info required from the user, and displays info in different ways that make it a must have for me, except the ground maps are very mickey mouse...just too many can't do without cool features that I would not be able to properly describe here in writing....I use both the Aivlasoft EFB and the FSC9 at the same together on a networked laptop...they both connect to weather for data on screen or to access metars and of course show AI traffic or online traffic...the list goes on and on...they are both fully supported with updates and have scenery update managers...FSC9 connects nicely to Google Earth as well to give you terrain visuals enroute....a RLP would be in heaven if they had this type of software available...

Cheers

Doug

Archived