Hi all  I have fsx steam version with a GeForce gtx 780 Ti graphics card at the moment I use nv  inspector to  set up  fsx steam .

Would I be better just  leaving the settings when  I installed the  nv drivers  and just let fsx steam run from default settings of the card . 

http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html    I use  the settings from this link

This is what I use to set fsx steam for graphics  in NVidia  please advise me if  I would be better leaving  the default setting or if any one can suggest a better setting  regards Stewart  

Nick Needham's FSX guide has not been updated for a very long time, for Vanilla FSX I use Kosta's guide and a few of my own tweaks, this guide seems to work best for me and is far easier to digest than Nick Needham's who tends to ramble and go off on tangents a bit  IMHO :)

https://kostasfsworld.wordpress.com/fsx-software-and-hardware-guide/

I have FSX Steam on a second PC too that I keep meaning to get round to tweaking and have bookmarked this dedicated FSX Steam guide if you want a look, it uses Nvidia Inspector too ... if you try it please provide feedback before and after if you can :)

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=359111682

Bear in mind though, these guides are ...well they are guides, there seems to be no one perfect solution due to the dynamic nature of PC hardware, but they are very useful pointers and bases to start on.

EDIT: I do know FSX Steam has some of the parts of Needham's and Kosta's guide built into the .cfg, so I'd not use those for FSX SE personally without cross checking the changes already made first, that Steam FSX SE guide looks pretty comprehensive and uses DX10 preview with a link for the free version of Steve's DX10 fixer, but I think its worth the price for the full version, if you want to stay with DX9 then don't check the DX10 preview button I guess :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be honest, I wound up ditching Steve's DX10 fixer in favor of Jon V's posting here.  He made a good point that tweaks are not necessarily going to give you the boost you need as it's all about the hardware.  I went back to DX9 in FSX:SE, only entered tweaks that were required (and mentioned ad nauseum around the net).  I even stopped using nVidia Insector, only because my GTX980 card has limited tweaking to begin with but still does a good job.  I found my fps hold steady 20s-30s, even in very busy areas.  In fact, last night I did a short hop from KHEF to KIAD and then to KJYO, which utilize FTX Global, ORBX freeware airports and Flightbeam's KIAD.  I did have some stutters at KIAD but that scenery is rather intense.  Despite the stutters, I still held decent frames during my flight.

-Jim

Jim,  I think you'll find that Steve's Fixer was not designed to improve frame rates or overall performance of FSX, etc., but to cure problems with the faulty DX10, with shadows/shading, water textures, sun reflections, and the like.  So if you ditched the Fixer because it didn't improve your fps, I would suggest rethinking your strategy.  I've been running DX10 for many months now, with the Fixer in tow and nVidia Inspector beefing up my GTX770, and I don't anticipate ever going back to DX9.  The GTX980 gpu won't solve any of those DX10 problems, with or without the Inspector.  Just my thoughts....

Stew

For a few months, I've run FSX with DX10 on the same 780ti and I had a strong (visible) improvement both in the eye candy (shadows, stronger colors etc.)  and the fluidity (framerate). Not very original, mind you, everybody does. Everything being equal (sliders),  if you don't see any improvement with DX10, something is wrong with your install (or your card is too weak). Basically, with DX10, your GPU takes part of the computing load which was directed to the CPU. Steve's Fixer is needed as it will correct most of the MS "DX10 preview" bugs. Still using DX9 is missing a lot IMO.

If you use FSX, Nvidia Inspector FSX profile will help you getting  better fluidity with a stronger AA.  You do not really need to do more tweaks with a 780ti (or a 980 !).

I dumped FSX/DX10 which gave me a pretty nice flying experience because P3D improves on it, specially in the terrain shadowing and computing power (DX11).

After I installed Steve´s DX10 fixer I made several performance comparisons with and w/o fixer in different locations and weather conditions.

To keep it short with respect to framerates fps DX9/10: No improvement in autogen dominant and dense area e.g. over Seattle or Portland. But 10 to 20% better fps in local scenery designed area e.g. each local airport scenery.

There are other probably more important advantages using the DX10 fixer e.g. sim running smoothness, much less OOM risk, no hovering houses, realistic lights damping during fog, VC shadows, "realistic" water color / water waves and and and.

A couple of weeks ago I switched from a GPU GTX680 to GTX980, which gave me additional performance and the ability to use a 4K TV in full  color mode due to HDMI 2.0 support (TV and GPU).   

Wulf

Jim,  I think you'll find that Steve's Fixer was not designed to improve frame rates or overall performance of FSX, etc., but to cure problems with the faulty DX10, with shadows/shading, water textures, sun reflections, and the like.  So if you ditched the Fixer because it didn't improve your fps, I would suggest rethinking your strategy.  I've been running DX10 for many months now, with the Fixer in tow and nVidia Inspector beefing up my GTX770, and I don't anticipate ever going back to DX9.  The GTX980 gpu won't solve any of those DX10 problems, with or without the Inspector.  Just my thoughts....

Stew

Stew,

perhaps I should clarify that ditching DX10 on my end, was primarily due to going "minimalist".  I fly GA and tubeliners and while I love the eye candy, I wanted more stability and functionality, especially with tubeliners.  Sure, this whole conversation can be summarized with YMMV and it's all personal preference, but I decided to take a page from Jon V's book and try this out to see if it would work for me.  I still have all the makings to go back to DX10 if I so choose to but for now, I'll leave FSX:SE on stock for a while.

-Jim

Stew,

perhaps I should clarify that ditching DX10 on my end, was primarily due to going "minimalist".  I fly GA and tubeliners and while I love the eye candy, I wanted more stability and functionality, especially with tubeliners.  Sure, this whole conversation can be summarized with YMMV and it's all personal preference, but I decided to take a page from Jon V's book and try this out to see if it would work for me.  I still have all the makings to go back to DX10 if I so choose to but for now, I'll leave FSX:SE on stock for a while.

-Jim

No problem, Jim.  That was my misunderstanding actually.  I don't fly tubeliners and probably never will.  I don't see the point in buying all that gorgeous Orbx scenery just to look at it from 30,000 ft.  But that's just me.  I know there are a lot of computer nerds who like messin' with all the dials and switches and levers in a tubeliner, but to me, that's not flying.  Just sayin', guys not to start a flame war.  >:D

Now I'm off to try out two of my newest airports, Santa Barbara and Orange County/John Wayne, in the A2A Cherokee, an airplane you fly in order to fly it well, imo.

No problem, Jim.  That was my misunderstanding actually.  I don't fly tubeliners and probably never will.  I don't see the point in buying all that gorgeous Orbx scenery just to look at it from 30,000 ft.  But that's just me.  I know there are a lot of computer nerds who like messin' with all the dials and switches and levers in a tubeliner, but to me, that's not flying.  Just sayin', guys not to start a flame war.  >:D

Now I'm off to try out two of my newest airports, Santa Barbara and Orange County/John Wayne, in the A2A Cherokee, an airplane you fly in order to fly it well, imo.

I love the scenery no matter at what height I fly.  I find the accuracy of the scenery, even at higher altitudes, just adds to the realism.  Last night, I did a quick jaunt from KIAD to KBOS aboard a Cessna 206, nothing too special, just a test flight, as i had been having intermittent issues with REX's weather engine running in the background.  I did real world weather (rather stormy out here) and the flight out of KIAD was nice and pretty when combined with FTX Global and the landing at FlyTampa's KBOS was pretty cool.  At FL100, the scenery showed off some great coastlines, although most of the trip was flown over a lot of moderate to heavy city scenery, but that's how I like it. :)

As far as switches and levers, yeah you can do that just as much on board a GA aircraft.  Carenado's aircraft have their fair share of switches, dials and levers, especially their Grand Caravan EX.  I still have to read up on that one as I had a heck of a time getting it started. lol

-Jim

I only fly one aircraft anymore, the Lionheart Kodiak. With my new wide screen monitor and the expandable MFD and PFD I have become very comfortable flying in the VC. That's really the only aircraft I really need.

All my payware addon aircraft are off the system and stored on an external HD. I'm not anxious to get them back.

If the 1 or 2 percent of the time I feel like flying something different from the ultra-lite and sailplane to the KingAir and B737 I always have the default FSX aircraft to go to.

You can talk about the realism of the flight characteristics of Carenado and PMDG but never having actually flown any of those aircraft I wouldn't know the difference. So the default versions suit me fine.

Noel

Stew

Agree Steve,

I have the same experience with dx10 fixer too, and use it to deal with the DX10 issues only. 

I love the scenery no matter at what height I fly.  I find the accuracy of the scenery, even at higher altitudes, just adds to the realism.  Last night, I did a quick jaunt from KIAD to KBOS aboard a Cessna 206, nothing too special, just a test flight, as i had been having intermittent issues with REX's weather engine running in the background.  I did real world weather (rather stormy out here) and the flight out of KIAD was nice and pretty when combined with FTX Global and the landing at FlyTampa's KBOS was pretty cool.  At FL100, the scenery showed off some great coastlines, although most of the trip was flown over a lot of moderate to heavy city scenery, but that's how I like it. :)

As far as switches and levers, yeah you can do that just as much on board a GA aircraft.  Carenado's aircraft have their fair share of switches, dials and levers, especially their Grand Caravan EX.  I still have to read up on that one as I had a heck of a time getting it started. lol

-Jim

I see your point, Jim.  Even at 20,000 ft. Orbx full regions look much better than FSX default.  I didn't mean to imply otherwise!  :ph34r:

I fly a lot of Legacy freeware planes, and with DX10 I find the "Fixer" to be a must-have. Eliminates things like solid prop spin. Some AC from FS4 and FS9 won't migrate over to FSX no matter what you do. I just delete those and go on my merry way. Just my 2-cents worth.

JJ

I fly a lot of Legacy freeware planes, and with DX10 I find the "Fixer" to be a must-have. Eliminates things like solid prop spin. Some AC from FS4 and FS9 won't migrate over to FSX no matter what you do. I just delete those and go on my merry way. Just my 2-cents worth.

JJ

I, for one, will always take anyone's two cents, just for the simple fact that someone out there may have just the right thought.

-Jim

Archived