Another TV as Monitor Thread - Cheap way to try

boleyd

Monitors do not need sound!

Craigslist, friends, thrift stores, etc. may hold a cheap way to at least try a TV as a monitor for P3D. Loss of sound is not an uncommon reason for scrapping an LCD/LED TV. IF it is 1080p resolution it may give you an idea if a TV style monitor is for you. Yes, there are other things such as game options, HDMI, etc. For free, or few dollars, it is still a very cheap way to see if a TV works for you.

I had the opportunity last week. My projector bulb blew up and it will take a few weeks to get another bulb from china so rather than be simless I dragged over the 42" plasma TV and was so impressed Ive ordered a 55" HD led tv for the sim and ditching the projector.

In reality a TV is just a bigger display, right? Its not going to cost any FPS to go from 27" 1080p to 80" 1080p

Great idea to grab one even with no sound as the sound comes from the PC anyway

I am now simming exclusively on my 65 inch plasma.  I have it set to "game mode" and cannot feel or perceive any control input delay.  I was going to venture down the projector route but am quite happy not spending any additional money.  I honestly cannot believe I did not make this jump sooner.  I am running at 1080, same as I was on my 20 something LED.  It did not cost me any frames at all. 

To the OP.......If you are buying cheapo 1080p LCD/LED TV's you may find they are not as crisp as a monitor and pixels are just spread out, As mentioned in this thread it looks amazing on some of the high end TV's but that is because you get what you pay for. High end TV's were designed with consoles in mind to show crisp graphics on larger screens so they handle FSX in the same manner, with large LCD TV's you will not be so impressed. 

I have tried on 42" Samsung and Panasonic LCD's and I was not impressed at all, took it off right away, need better TV's for FSX.

The thing about going this route with me is if you are going to be using PMDG aircraft and zoomed out to .3 or .4 or .5 you will have a very hard time reading the instruments, you will have to zoom in, this is because the pixels aren't very good so hard to read the numbers as they can be blurry. Other then that is it adequate.

More expensive TV's are crisper images so you have an easier time reading gauges and instruments. etc. 

I am now simming exclusively on my 65 inch plasma.  I have it set to "game mode" and cannot feel or perceive any control input delay.  I was going to venture down the projector route but am quite happy not spending any additional money.  I honestly cannot believe I did not make this jump sooner.  I am running at 1080, same as I was on my 20 something LED.  It did not cost me any frames at all. 

I was surprised to learn that Plasma is considered to be a better pic than LED's. They just became to clunky to compete. I think your lucky to have that. unfortunately my back up sim is a plasma 720p and although it still gives a stunning picture it falls short when reading LED instruments and night lighting hence the move to a 55" LED 1080

I've tried a couple of really cheap LCD tellies and found the images to be perfectly fine, although viewing angles weren't great and they had some light bleed. I had to ensure 1:1 pixel mapping was on, and like a monitor, I drove the screen at its native resolution. Result a crisp image at a very reasonable price. A HD Ready telly may support 1080p but as it's only a 720 set you'll obviously blur things up running at 1080.

I did try playing Elite Dangerous on one and really struggled with combat, then I discover the latency was probably over 150ms. Completed the same missions in no time at all when I used a proper monitor. This lag doesn't matter for FSX, you should always be ahead of the plane ;)

Another plus is the size can give a really good immersion effect, I felt in the sim.

The nice thing about "scrapped" TVs is that you can get a top of the line one for next to nothing if someone decides not to have it fixed. Also, given the low cost you can dump a few until you uncover one that gives you a picture YOU are satisfied with.

I do not believe that I could use one for business applications or something like Quicken. There, a low end 23/24 inch real monitor may be needed. I certainly intend to keep my 4 year old 23inch unit should I find a good no-sound TV.

Flight sim on my 60 inch pioneer elite is great

That 60' Pioneer model is what I use in my home theater and it's still (to my eyes) the best for watching movies at that size. Many people I know like the way colors and images "pop" with LCD, LED, OLED, etc., but to me, movies made on film stock look better on Plasma and even todays current filming tendencies to use the digital medium still look more like what I see in a movie theater on Plasma.

Space considerations forced me to go with a 1080P 40" Sony Bravia TV on rig 1 and I use a 30" Dell monitor on rig 2 at 2560 x 1600. Obviously there are very noticeable differences in the way they present an image but my personal preference with Orbx sceneries is the softer look of the TV, while the other scenery products I use look better to me on the 30" monitor.

From my readings at various AV forums it does sound like the new 4K Ultra HD sets might be the ultimate for gaming, especially the curved ones, once we have video cards capable of driving that resolution (not sure what resolutions the latest Nvidias can drive). I've also seen it mentioned that dx12 and compatable cards may be able to allow the vid card to process even more aspects of the program helping to free up more cpu resources which is always a good thing with FSX.

While curved screens make absolutely no sense to me for movies, (after all, how many are/were shot to be shown on a curved screen) and some viewers impressions are that the curved screens work well for "one" person sitting on dead  center (with respect to edge distrortions and other factors), they might just be the ultimate for flight simming and other games as well. The next time I have to upgrade hardware in the boxes I'll take a good hard look at 4K UHD.

If i was going to use a large screen TV as a monitor then it would be a 4K one surely? 1080P at the normal monitor viewing distance must look a bit blocky or pix-elated? I have a 65" 3D Plasma 1080P TV in the living room BTW and its great for movies ETC at the more normal viewing distance in a living room, I'd hate to sit right in front of it though.

Also traditionally Plasma is good for blacks but early models especially can have image burn in over time, not a problem in normal movie viewing but in some flight sims and games you do get HUD's ETC that do not change and of course on windows desktop we have static taskbar, icons that could burn in over time, so that might be something to consider too.

I'm semi considering a large screen TV as a monitor too, but it would need to be 4K for me, would love to try one first though.

M31, your right about potential burn in. I've never experienced it myself but then I've never used my Plasma for anything but movies and TV viewing. The model I have (purchased in Feb 2008) actually has a video pattern mode which runs a white vertical band from top to bottom across the black screen for an hour and then shuts off the TV, The purpose I think is to "massage" the pixels and keep burn in from occuring. I've used it once in a while but never seen a difference so I guess I'm not having any issues with burn in. I don't think that the current crop of LED/LCD etc., have this burn in issue as a potential problem.

A side note with respect to viewing distance from the screen I was just reading a post at a AV site that stated that the optimum viewing distances (to see all that the format can show) from the screen should be roughly 3 times the screen height for 1080P HD and 1.5 times the screen height for 4K UHD for a 16x9 screen. In my case that works out to roughly 90" for my 1080P TV set and I don't see any grid line issues at that distance but I find it more comfortable to view from 120". I've never noticed any pixelation at 90".

My flight sim rigs are a different story. With the 30" Dell my eyes are 36" from the screen, roughly 2.5 times the screen height, and the 40" Sony about 46 to 48" which is 2.4 times. The Sony and Dell (as do most all big screens including my Pio Elite) have the glass treated in some way to minimize glare from lights which could possibly mask a bit of fine detail. Even at those close quarters, however, I've never noticed any pixelation (although I thought pixelation was a property of the source material, I could be wrong on that), or grid structure on the LCD Sony but there is a faint but noticeable wire grid (or mask of some sort) on the LCD Dell but once I'm in motion I don't notice it at all.

Interesting topic, no matter how good the hardware in front of the screen, the screen where the rubber meets the road, or the image meets your eyeballs.

Sony 55" TV LCD Bravia brilliant, total submersion. Considering buying and hooking up two more for wrap around effect!! ::)

Hey Ashbygooner :smile: ,

I'm planning to do the same this week. Out of interest, which Bravia model did you go for and do you have good clarity, blacks, brightness, minimal motion blur and input lag on it. I've booked a demo at richer sounds and going take over a laptop and check the visuals of FSX on a few models. I'm only interested in a Sony screen/s too...they have the best input lags for starters. Thought to look at 55" KDL W705C, KDL W755C, W829 (limited stock remaining) and the 4K X8505B (which I bought 2 50" models of and it looks fabulous on, in 4K or 1080p). Thinking about gettng to get 3 55" screens set at 1080p for the same wrap-around effect as you for now, once I've checked them out for myself in the demo tomorrow (N.B. With the 4K model, I'd obviously only set the resolution on 1080 but don't know yet if its upscaling would look or function better than a standard 1080 screen like the others I've mentioned. Just had a couple of curiosities...

Which model did you go for in the end?

Can you still read the cockpit gages easily with 1080 at that size as it would be more cost-effective ideally? Or is there some noticeable pixellation at that size?

And, any thoughts if a 4k set to 1080 with its upscaling would look any better than a standard 1080?

Feel free to add your input anyone else. Do apologise as don't mean to 'hijack' the thread at all. Thanks for any feedback.

Great move btw ::)

Archived