more ram or a second 970,asking for opinions

Culley44

hi guys just looking for some opinions,i have a choice of buying a 16 more gigs of ddr4 of 2666 which equals 32 gig total,or buy a second gtx 970 asus strix video card,i would like to say i use p3d,fsx-se and multiple first person shooters.by what i understand having 2 videocards doesn't actually give you 2x the vram,thanks for the thoughts. Brett

I have to agree.

FSX uses not much over 1GB of RAM on the graphics card and of course

can use no more than 4GB of VAS.

Two video cards of say 2GB of RAM each=2GB of RAM I'm afraid but you already

have more than enough on one card.

Like Jack, I see no advantage in either addition, unless your other games are able

to see and use SLI and are 64 bit.

i know p3d now supports an sli profile or very soon will be,but it always comes right back to the darn vas problem.vas is really making it rough on the ones that run highend hardware,the only other game i play is gta v and trainz a new era.thanks jack and Nick for the comments, its appreciated.

ya lain, i seen the gtx 980 ti, but i wanted to make use of the current asus gtx 970 strix i have,i may not get as much performance as i would like out of p3d, but several other games take advantage of sli,i believe the performance is faster than a single gtx 980, but not as fast as a 980ti,it will be a good in between for 2 years,i keep buying buying hardware and not flying lol, its time to fly.

That's really an interesting subject. Similar discussion is going on at avsim. One half of the people is believing their sli setup has given them a boost or more smoothness, the other half believes in a more powerful single card like Monsieur Bui or Mister Emms does.

I don't know what to believe. I have just bought a GTX970 and am very excited. 

I hear "just 1 or 3 Gb vram will be used"... but on the other side one wants to buy a second Titan X... very confusing stuff. ???

Probably it's best to wait some more time for more thrustful results and benchmarks or better and stable drivers. 

more than a single card won't help fsx at all, but nvidia has a profile now for p3d, thats the reason i went with the 2 card solution, and the fact i already had one 970, i figured i might as well pair it with a brother and see how games run,will be my first sli experience

That's really an interesting subject. Similar discussion is going on at avsim. One half of the people is believing their sli setup has given them a boost or more smoothness, the other half believes in a more powerful single card like Monsieur Bui or Mister Emms does.

I don't know what to believe. I have just bought a GTX970 and am very excited.

I hear "just 1 or 3 Gb vram will be used"... but on the other side one wants to buy a second Titan X... very confusing stuff. ???

Probably it's best to wait some more time for more thrustful results and benchmarks or better and stable drivers.

When I talked about GTX Titan, I meant Titan Z the one with biggest GPU ever with 12 GB Vram built on 3 pci slots. Not to confuse with the Ti (ex 770 Ti or 980Ti) series which is a special tuning of the standard series :)

Brett, i would leave the ram at 16gig, W10 might take advantage of more ram under DX12 but that does not help FSX/P3d, SLI cards would help if you get P3d, or you could wait a few more months and get the new Broadwell i7 5775-C which is better than both ram and sli.

Rick

Archived