FTX-Global Base and FSX FPS

mustang1956

PURCHASED FTX-Global Base 2015-05-27 order #FSS0385747 and downloaded and installed according to instructions after backing up FSX default WORLD SCENERY TEXTURE FILES. Must admit scenery is 100 times better looking but FPS took a major hit around major airports. 30FPS with default, 3.5 to maybe 7-8 fps depending on airport. Flying approach into LAX FPS is down to 2 and extremely choppy almost stopping the flight. I uninstalled Global and reinstalled default but now my FPS are still stuck in the 5-8 range. Tried setting scenery sliders to default but was only able to register 14-16 fps. Is this normal? Didn't think FPS would be affected that much if at all. Am I doing something wrong during the install and why didn't I get my high fps back when I reinstalled the default FSX files? Thanks...............                                                                    I5-3570K OC @4.0GHZ CPU     2TB Seagate HDD   16GB Corsair XMS Memory @1866MHZ   AMD Radeon 7870 2gb GPU     Gigabyte GA Z77-HD3 MOBO    Corsair Hydro H60 Liquid cooling with 120mm push-pull fans for CPU   3 120mm case fans.

Hmmm...FTX Global base actually improved the overall performance for me....LAX is notorious for lowering the FPS and all, but there is no way FTX Global is solely responsible for bringing your system to its knees like that... :)

Maybe try deleting your fsx.cfg and let it rebuild a new one with a restart and see what happens?

Doug, read your reply. not a computer person so don't know beans about them. How would I do your suggestion. I know how to delete the FSX.CFG file but where do I go from there as far as a restart. Are you talking about reinstalling FSX or running the repair disk. Really want to keep FTX-Global Base installed after paying for it. Thanks, Dave in Illinois. Does FTX-Global do anything to FSX.CFG?

Doug, read your reply. not a computer person so don't know beans about them. How would I do your suggestion. I know how to delete the FSX.CFG file but where do I go from there as far as a restart. Are you talking about reinstalling FSX or running the repair disk. Really want to keep FTX-Global Base installed after paying for it. Thanks, Dave in Illinois. Does FTX-Global do anything to FSX.CFG?

Hey Dave

As Stew has described....just delete the fsx.cfg file...then just start FSX and it will build a new one. FTX Global does not do anything to the fsx.cfg...but FSX itself will alter the fsx.cfg if it sees certain system changes.

Doug

Hi. Thanks to those trying to lend support. Deleted my FSX.CFG file and restarted FSX. No difference. FPS in LAX ranged from 17-18 at the gate to 3.8 -5 during taxi depending on what you were looking at to 5-10 during take off run 30fps once airborne and clear of airport. 3.2 on approach and very choppy. Funny thing, all major U.S. airports act this way. My home airfield is KALN St. Louis Regional Airport. A small general aviation field which gave me a full 30fps. Also, Most airports in ASIA and AUSTRALIA gave fps in low to mid 20s. It almost seems that Global Base was still installed even though I uninstalled it. My settings are these-Graphics...target fps 30, screen res 1920x1080p x32, filter- anisotropic- anti aliasing on, global texture res-very high, advanced animations on, single line text. Aircraft-MED HIGH Scenery-Default WX- Ultra High Traffic- Airline density=80% GA= 40% Airport vehicles=High Road traffic- 50% Ships=50% Leisure boats=40%. Any ideas on why my fps is still so low using default world/scenery/textures? Could it anything to do with my AMD CATALYST CONTROL. Thanks........

Any reason why airline density is set at 80%?  And GA 40%?  Maybe turn down your airport vehicles; and road traffic I don't think you need more than 20%.  Unless you're close to water, ships at 50% is probably too high, too (unless you have Henrik Ibsen's ship traffic).  And leisure boats I rarely have more than about 10%, if that.  I can see why your fps is as low as it is.  I use to have an AMD gpu, but gave up on it when it didn't agree with my running DX10.  But that's another story.

Stew

Hello again. Sorry it so long to get back, my computer wouldn't let me log in to forums. Had to reboot my router. Have settings set like that cause I like a lot of action but will reset to a lower setting. Did find two interesting things last night though. First, while looking at all my folders and files I came across a subfolder in the main effects folder titled texture. inside were several bmp items of naked women but also real texture files. Then in MS FLT SIM X ITSELF was a folder called terrain.cfg. I opened it and found a number of items called ORBX.
Each had a different  name like Braided River_nw=15 or Industrial=65. There were about 15 such items. Could these be causing my fps to drop and why didn't they disappear when I
uninstalled Global Base? The texture folder I know was downloaded when I added some scenery but not sure which. Took it out but made no difference. Sorry, know this doesn't help much. Reset traffic to default. Didn't help. The only thing I can think to do is uninstall FSX and do a clean reinstall and see if I get my fps back to normal.

Mustang again. I reinstalled FTX Global Base as instructed then set all settings to default except for frame target rate which is set to unlimited and airline traffic which is at 50%. Default frame rate is 20 and airline traffic is also 20 which didn't give me very many planes at my airports. Setting the frame target rate to unlimited seamed to help some and the 50%

airline traffic now gives me a nice collection of AI traffic without going overboard. LAX still drops to very low fps on approach with very choppy video but will give 45-50 fps once clear of LA itself. Guess I will just have to live with it until I can figure out why frames drop like they do.

Hello again. Final post on this subject. It pays to read the manual. Just finished reading the manual that came with FTX-Global and reset autogen like it said. Lax now in low to mid teens for fps which is acceptable. Very little video chop and fps jumps to 45-50 on take off. Should have read the manual before doing anything else. Mustang... #FSS0385747

• 1 year later...

Archived