Norway problem

Jiri Kocman

Hello,

at first my problem is not dedicated to Norway, but there is best visibility. I have similar problem with PNW region or Sedona but there it is much less visible.

Problem is, that hills and rocky terrain is changing while flying closer and closer.

There is screenshots:

p1.pngp2.pngp3.png

Look at hill front to aircraft. and small hill in left bottom corner at first two screens. Texture and shape is changed. At third screen front hill change texture again.

If you want, you can see it in motion at video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwvgymOthWs about 1:20, but similar changes you can see before and after too (at 3:00 and later you can see few continual changes to scenery). It is annoying for me.

I try to solve problem with some fine tuning my FSX:SE cfg and nVidia settings, I try about 50-60 changes with rebuild cfg, try default settings. DX9, DX10 with fixer but nothing helps except LOD_RADIUS set at 8.5, which is significant upgrade, but not solve problem for 100% and with that hi LOD_RADIUS i quickly spike to 4GB VAS and OOM - so this setting is not acceptable.

Maybe I have some problem with my system and problem is not relevant to FTX scenery, but if you can help me with that. CPU average load is about 40%, VAS about 3GB, GPU load 50% and GPU used memory is someting close to 1GB... so I think that I have enough resources ...

I would like see some tips.

I think what you are talking about is the "popping" in of mesh terrain.  If I'm not mistaken the issue is partly how FSX is "constructed" and the best way to minimize this is to have very good mesh terrain addons the provide several levels of detail from a base mesh of LOD 9 up to detailed mesh of LOD 11, or 12.  I don't know the technical details related to this but some other may have a better way of describing the problem and how to minimize the issue.

I think the Orbx folks recommend Pilots Global mesh package.  I personally am using FSGenesis NextMap.

Hi  fltsimguy. Thanks for respond. Your description make sense for me.

Yes Pilots Global is recomended, but full regions and/or airport sceneries contain usually 10m mesh (LOD 12?) and I see this only at FTX regions.
Pilots Global base mesh is 35m and some areas are covered with better data - apls, tatras...?

I read in ultimate guide that FSX will use best mesh data available - propably that included in region. So I will wait for other responds, but now I know which kind of problem I have. My searches was more about blurry textures.

For what it is worth the mesh popping is quite normal if you only have default or default plus mesh that is included in the FTX Regions. It was one of the reasons I lashed out a large sum of money for Global Ultimate (I am NOT advertising here). I assume some other brand of mesh to such layered detail will also be most suitable, but since I installed it I have hardly any popping at all and incredible detail, "transforming" in fact.

Hi Jiri, do you have a location of that area so we can compare?

Hi, yes.

It is few seconds after I takeoff from ENLI. If you look at Google Earth map then you see windfarm and fish farms close to airport and there it is.

I disable FTX Norway MESH and voila, popping is gone, but terrain is more flat as expected with default mesh data, but Europe mesh data is not too bad in default. I will try FreeMeshX if result will be better, if not, I have to call my friend with Global Ultimate for Europe and we will try to install it at my computer for test. But 70 AUD is not cheap... Rather invest in next FTX regions. May discount changed  direction of cash reserved to add ons :)

Hi, yes.

It is few seconds after I takeoff from ENLI. If you look at Google Earth map then you see windfarm and fish farms close to airport and there it is.

I disable FTX Norway MESH and voila, popping is gone, but terrain is more flat as expected with default mesh data, but Europe mesh data is not too bad in default. I will try FreeMeshX if result will be better, if not, I have to call my friend with Global Ultimate for Europe and we will try to install it at my computer for test. But 70 AUD is not cheap... Rather invest in next FTX regions. May discount changed  direction of cash reserved to add ons :)

For FTX regions, your FS mesh resolution setting should to be set at 5m...I also have the PILOTS FSGlobal2010FTX mesh installed with my mesh resolution set at 5m and have very very minor amounts of popping..... if any :)

After some other investigations with my friend...

Norway mesh off + default mesh - pooping gone

Norway mesh off + FreeMeshX - popping gone, better feel

Norway mesh on + FreeMeshX - popping present but less frequently

Norway mesh on + Ultimate Europe - pooping very frequently, bigger differences vs Norway mash+default, no way for me

Norway mesh off + Ultimate Europe - popping gone, great feel looks more like hills not as mountain peaks, bud I can see some floating buildings.

So the result is, that combination Norway mesh with anything else have some popping issues. Acceptable solution for me is dissable Norway mesh data and use default or more accurate FreeMeshX and in future I'll think about buying Ultimate mesh or for some fix from Orbx.

But less important part of problem still present - landclass texture quality/sharp is changing as I approach it. But I think that is something relevant to autogen (all max out in my case, but same with lower settings) - texture change happens when autogen popping next batch of objects. It is the visible on the hills again.

For FTX regions, your FS mesh resolution setting should to be set at 5m...I also have the PILOTS FSGlobal2010FTX mesh installed with my mesh resolution set at 5m and have very very minor amounts of popping..... if any :)

Everything is set as recommended with FTX scenery except water, which is High 2.0.

Idea is if It is something relevant with openLC Europe becouse in NA regions or Sedona airport I have just minimal pooping too, but for Norway is extreme.

Hi there,

I suppose the "popping" may be more obvious in the Norway terrain mesh because it's actually the most detailed and accurate of the three: it uses current high-resolution (10m) Norwegian government data as opposed to the 30-m or 90-m Shuttle Radar sources used by the others. Thus, the often steep slopes along fjords and valleys are more defined, which makes the LOD jumps more obvious when flying towards an area.

If you decide to use a different terrain mesh than the one that ships with NOR be aware that you may have (minor) display issues at airport perimeters and waterbodies because their elevations are dependent on the elevation data provided by the NOR terrain mesh. Moroever, the placement of NOR custom objects, in particular the long bridges, may also be affected.

Cheers, Holger

I read more about LOD_RADIUS and FSX mechanics for scenery loading - "circles" with different details. Closer to aircraft=better quality. I can extend this distances with LOD_RADIUS parameter, but due to memory requirements I can't do it and stay with stable simulator. Everything makes it more clear for me now.

Thanks for all hints. I can enjoy flying over Norway more!

Hi there,

I suppose the "popping" may be more obvious in the Norway terrain mesh because it's actually the most detailed and accurate of the three: it uses current high-resolution (10m) Norwegian government data as opposed to the 30-m or 90-m Shuttle Radar sources used by the others. Thus, the often steep slopes along fjords and valleys are more defined, which makes the LOD jumps more obvious when flying towards an area.

If you decide to use a different terrain mesh than the one that ships with NOR be aware that you may have (minor) display issues at airport perimeters and waterbodies because their elevations are dependent on the elevation data provided by the NOR terrain mesh. Moroever, the placement of NOR custom objects, in particular the long bridges, may also be affected.

Cheers, Holger

I was flying for while over Norway with FreeMeshX and don't see nothing wrong, but still have huge area to discover. I understand when I turn off Norway mesh provided with region and I use different, I can expect some abnormalities. Thanks for advice, Holger...

Anyway I like FTX Norway!

Archived