Aircraft landing lights appeared mirrored or double

Hi there, I have searched the forum and could not l locate my problem.. When using external view the landing lights appeared doubled (any aircraft, anywhere, any weather).. ie normal lights where they should be and above or below them depending on height of external view there is a set of floating lights.. I recently purchased and installed orbx base.. and this issues only came up after installation..

kind regards

Hi Cameron,

that's the first time I've ever heard of that kind of issue. Orbx Global base does not touch any files that would influence the display of aircraft landing lights so I can't think of any probable connection. 

Perhaps you could ask about this in one of the general flightsim forums in order to reach a wider audience of flightsim users?

Cheers, Holger 

This might happen if you are running FSX with DX10 Preview checked. If so, there a couple of remedies, other than unchecking DX10 Preview.  One is to purchase A2A's Shockwave Lights.  That did it for me, at least, since I run DX10.

Stew

This problem usually happens because an add-on has changed the halo.bmp file in the FSX\textures folder. This file contains four segments, which are used for all sorts of light objects, including landing lights. The 'double' effect you are seeing is because the file has been changed to add a ground reflection below the light effect for some other purpose.

You can check whether your halo.bmp file is original. The original should have a date of something like12/05/2006.

I have accumulated a whole array of halo.bmp files over the years, curiously including one dated 16/07/2009 that I have labelled FTXhalo.bmp  I hear Holger when he says that ORBX does not change any files that affect the lights (and he should know !), but I obviously attributed this to FTX at the time. The only ORBX product that I have installed is FTXG.

Archived