Difference Between FSX & FSX SE

Hi Guys

I have built a 'spare' rig and proceeded to try out FSX SE

What are the differences between the two sims?

I noticed a couple of things in the .cfg file like textures at 4096 and TBM 160 - what else is different?

Also I never had Steam before - does this have to always run with FSX?

Do we need UI Automationcore.dll & himemfix tweaks?

Is there a definitive guide for SE like Kostas FSX guide?

Thanks in advance

As a general statement they are both pretty much alike, with the caveat that P3d is still basically in development and subject to constant improvement.

Another general statement would be that most agree from a visual standpoint both were pretty boring before ORBX came along and sort of relieved the boredom.

With the hardware available today, both can be made to operate at levels of efficiency and smoothness undreamed of when FSX first came out, thus making it about as close as you can get to a real flight in the real world while still sitting on the ground in front of a personal computer. 

So take your choice, or use both.

Many , including myself, do.

As soon as you launch FSX:SE, Steam launches with it. Steam has a very small memory/CPU footprint and FSX:SE DOES run smoother than regular FSX. Also, you don't have to be always online to use FSX:SE, it was recently updated with an offline mode, Steam will still launch and "log-in" but you won't need an internet connection. The only tweaks I use are Affinitymask=84 (i7 4770), Forcefullscreenvsync=True (absolutely necessary or you wil have screen tearing) and wideviewaspect=true. Highmemfix and automationcoreblablabla.dll are no longer necessary. Hope this helps!

P.S FSX:SE runs remarkably more smoother than my FSX DVD version, this is no placebo, it's fact. It handles VAS much better than FSX DVD edition, this is not such a big thing for me since I rarely OOM'ed before but it is still nice to know that it has improved. You really can't go wrong with the Steam Edition, just make sure you uninstall your old FSX completely before installing the Steam Edition or there might be issues with some addons.

Cheers!/Andreas

As soon as you launch FSX:SE, Steam launches with it. Steam has a very small memory/CPU footprint and FSX:SE DOES run smoother than regular FSX. Also, you don't have to be always online to use FSX:SE, it was recently updated with an offline mode, Steam will still launch and "log-in" but you won't need an internet connection. The only tweaks I use are Affinitymask=84 (i7 4770), Forcefullscreenvsync=True (absolutely necessary or you wil have screen tearing) and wideviewaspect=true. Highmemfix and automationcoreblablabla.dll are no longer necessary. Hope this helps!

P.S FSX:SE runs remarkably more smoother than my FSX DVD version, this is no placebo, it's fact. It handles VAS much better than FSX DVD edition, this is not such a big thing for me since I rarely OOM'ed before but it is still nice to know that it has improved. You really can't go wrong with the Steam Edition, just make sure you uninstall your old FSX completely before installing the Steam Edition or there might be issues with some addons.

Cheers!/Andreas

Andreas

Thank you very much - that was a very useful post.

I have installed now and I like it too - still yet to do a proper flight but it does seem very smooth indeed.

I just posted the below in another thread where another user asks about SE too:

Hi Darran

Curiosity really got the better of me and I have built a new rig out of spares I had. Gigabyte MOBO, I72600k OC 4.6, 8g G-Skill ram, GTX 580 card, 850watt PSU, etc

So on a clean windows 7 pro install I added FSX SE, FTX Global, FTX EU Landclass, REX Essential OD, UT2, UK2K EGLL and updates to all.

Not only is what I have seen so far 'Beautiful' (nice one on the LC Orbx team), it is 'Smooth As Glass'!

I don't use add-on planes on my scenery PC's though.

I am not too sure if my smoothness is to do with very little add-ons but it is very smooth - LOD 6.5, TML 2048, all sliders to the right except water and autogen, they are one notch back and UT2 is at 50% airliners only.

Not sure if this helps you or not?

EDIT - BTW I was using the ORBX stormy WX theme when testing.

Andreas

Thank you very much - that was a very useful post.

I have installed now and I like it too - still yet to do a proper flight but it does seem very smooth indeed.

I just posted the below in another thread where another user asks about SE too:

Hi Darran

Curiosity really got the better of me and I have built a new rig out of spares I had. Gigabyte MOBO, I72600k OC 4.6, 8g G-Skill ram, GTX 580 card, 850watt PSU, etc

So on a clean windows 7 pro install I added FSX SE, FTX Global, FTX EU Landclass, REX Essential OD, UT2, UK2K EGLL and updates to all.

Not only is what I have seen so far 'Beautiful' (nice one on the LC Orbx team), it is 'Smooth As Glass'!

I don't use add-on planes on my scenery PC's though.

I am not too sure if my smoothness is to do with very little add-ons but it is very smooth - LOD 6.5, TML 2048, all sliders to the right except water and autogen, they are one notch back and UT2 is at 50% airliners only.

Not sure if this helps you or not?

EDIT - BTW I was using the ORBX stormy WX theme when testing.

You're welcome, hope it helped! :)

You're welcome, hope it helped! :)

Yes mate Thank you.

I put England in too today, I am gobsmacked with the performance.

Over Orbx London City - it doesn't falter!

And EU Landclass is 'Beautiful' too!

Happy Days

After reading the poisitive experience from you guys i have also decided to take the plunge and try out the steam edition, I have seen some very good youtube videos using it and as I would love to do some long flights I am hoping it much more stable.

Archived