Overclocking temps

ojiito

I'm ready to start overclocking, my system does very well in most situations but it's kind of a waste to have an unlocked 4770 and not do it, and that's why I got a 'K'.  And I'm looking for that bit of boost in the urban areas with some weather going on, like SEA and ANC. 

I'm just curious as to what kind of temps to expect.  I know every system is different, but I was hoping to just see what other people are getting if you're willing to share, just to get a general idea.  I also know there are a million overclocking sites with all kinds of benchmarks and such, but I am only interested in the flightsim environment so I wanted to ask here. 

Also, have any Gigabyte mb users tried the auto performance upgrade within BIOS (not EZ Tune)?  I know the 'autos' are usually too generous on the voltage and I don't intend to go that route permanently, but I might see what it does. 

So at idle, my cpu runs at around 28C, give or take a degree or two.  GPU around 30.  In the Seattle area with PMDG NGX (Orbx PNW enabled) average cpu temp is mid-30s, GPU mid-40s with occasional spikes around 50.  Frame rates in low teens (that's by far the lowest I generally see).  The cpu's stock speed is 3.5 GHz, but it seems to normally run in turbo mode at 3.9  So that's where I plan to start, work up to 4.2, 4.4 would be cool but I would probably be fine with that.  Cooling is H100i, which is hardly having to break a sweat so far.

Thoughts, participation?   Thanks, cheers...

Grab yourself a decent stress test application and use this to find a a balanced overclock rather than running FSX for this purpose.

No application will push the system like a stress test. If you can run the stress test for 24 hours without crash / heat issues you'll have no issues in this regards running FSX.

If you wind it up to 4.4 and run a stress test don't be surprised to see 90+ degrees.

Personally I push it until I'm not getting blue screens, lets say this is 4.4, then back it off a little, say 4.2.

Then you'll be nice and stable and probably not see much more than 75 degrees.

I'm ready to start overclocking, my system does very well in most situations but it's kind of a waste to have an unlocked 4770 and not do it, and that's why I got a 'K'.  And I'm looking for that bit of boost in the urban areas with some weather going on, like SEA and ANC. 

I'm just curious as to what kind of temps to expect.  I know every system is different, but I was hoping to just see what other people are getting if you're willing to share, just to get a general idea.  I also know there are a million overclocking sites with all kinds of benchmarks and such, but I am only interested in the flightsim environment so I wanted to ask here. 

Also, have any Gigabyte mb users tried the auto performance upgrade within BIOS (not EZ Tune)?  I know the 'autos' are usually too generous on the voltage and I don't intend to go that route permanently, but I might see what it does. 

So at idle, my cpu runs at around 28C, give or take a degree or two.  GPU around 30.  In the Seattle area with PMDG NGX (Orbx PNW enabled) average cpu temp is mid-30s, GPU mid-40s with occasional spikes around 50.  Frame rates in low teens (that's by far the lowest I generally see).  The cpu's stock speed is 3.5 GHz, but it seems to normally run in turbo mode at 3.9  So that's where I plan to start, work up to 4.2, 4.4 would be cool but I would probably be fine with that.  Cooling is H100i, which is hardly having to break a sweat so far.

Thoughts, participation?   Thanks, cheers...

I have the 4770K too... I currently use the "OC Genie" function of my MSI motherboard for a quick and dirty overclock and with my liquid cooled setup, I'm currently running a very stable 4.0Ghz at around 29°C.

One of these days I'm going to ditch the automatic OC and try for 4.5Ghz... I'm sure I have the overhead ;)

CMOS temps dont start to actually fry until over 100C

Some chips like Intel step in before that, and have thermal management with stuff like auto downgrade of the clock rate and shutting down cores to save the chip before it cooks

Really its more voltage that will kill CMOS devices, to actually fry a CMOS chip takes some effort

Cool, thanks.  The 4790 came out shortly after I built my rig, darn! 

As an aside....I also have an I5 4670K that I have used in the same rig I have now and actually have found it to be very , very close to the 4790K in FSX performance.

It overclocked to 4.5GHZ easily and is less expensive.

I thought the 4790K would really be a big improvement, but, while it is very good, if I had it to do over, I would have just left the I5 4670k in there.

FSX is funny that way.....it has a mischievous streak in the software.

Nice, I could handle 55 degrees, that seems nice and reasonable.  I've done some stress tests with several programs at stock clock speeds to get some baseline readings, and I think it got into the low 50's and stayed there for an hour-long test or so, but that's fully maxed out.

Greetings All,

And probably very well, too.

I think that processor speed is more important than anything else in chips around today.

Intel chips, though.

Never tried AMD.

It is pretty much the same as the Intel side of the house, only slower for the same GHz speed. Thanks to an awesome Chrismas present I was able to upgrade from an AMD 970 BE, O.C-ed to 4.1GHZ, to an Intel 4790K that I'm running at the stock 4.0GHz at the moment. In P3D v2.4 I've been able to slide the settings a few notches to the right and still get a smoother flight than with the AMD.

Respectfully,

Brian

Archived