When does the Saitek Cessna Yoke require a power adapter?

T-Bone

Been using the Saitek X-52 for years and it's worked great, but I recently picked up some new gear. I got the Saitek Cessna Pro Yoke (includes throttle/prop/mix controllers), and also the pro flight switch panel (that the one with all the rocker switches and landing gear lever.

Anyway I was under the impression that the yoke and throttle lever will work fine as is out of the box. However, if I add/connect any other switches or panels I would need to use an A/C adapter into the yoke which does not come with it and must be purchased separately. So I got it all installed last night and to my surprise the pro switch panel works just fine plugged into the yoke and the yoke has no adapter (I didn't buy one yet). The yoke is just plugged into a USB port on the front of my CPU.

So my questions are:

1- I have both USB 2 and USB 3 ports, will either or make a difference which port I use?

2- The last thing I would like to get is the Saitek Rudder pedals to complete my set up. Will I need to get the A/C adapter if I add just the rudder pedals now?

I have the Saitek Cessna yoke, an additional throttle quadrant (for twins) and the rudder pedals and don't use an AC adapter. I do have it going into a powered USB hub though. I guess the instructions would say something if it is required. I don't remember it coming with any sort of AC adapter.

I have my controllers set up in a similar way to Rob's, i.e. another TQ and trim wheel connected to the ports on the yoke, and also going through a powered hub. With my current motherboard, I can also plug the same setup directly, and it works. With the previous one, I got a Windows message saying that the port cannot provide sufficient power. So, unless you get that message, you should be fine. ;) I'd also consult your mobo manual, some models have designated ports with a higher power rating (designed to charge smartphones, tablets, etc.), so I'd use one of those, if available.

Tym

Probably when you have too many USB-add-ons connected. I have Saitek yoke, pedals, multi panel and a few more installed and that is too much. Solved that by buying a second powered USB-adapter and that solved the problem. Yes I have TWO powered USB-adaptors connected and that gives me 14 extra USB-ports. Does it work? Yes.

Jack

the Swede in spain

The Saitek yoke itself doesn't need a power supply, but the built in USB hub that is part of the base may need one depending on what you plug into it...

For example, plugging in a second throttle quadrant and a trim wheel should be fine with no additional power. But plugging in one of the Saitek switch panels, radio panels, multi panels or instrument panels may require you to add a power supply as these USB devices required additional power to run

Like most others, I have separate powered USB hubs for all my devices and try not to use the yoke slots if I can avoid it.

Like most others, I have separate powered USB hubs for all my devices and try not to use the yoke slots if I can avoid it.

I actually use the yoke slots so that I only have one cable strung across the room when flying because my "simpit" is my home theater :), but that one cable goes into a powered USB hub.

Definitely no messages popping up for me and I have now done several flights in different aircraft testing things out. These must be powered USB's on the front that they installed (new computer) as they knew I'd be plugging in controllers. Thanks everybody.

You'll be fine T-Bone for rudder pedals as well.

The idea behind the Saitek Yokes both the early one and new Cessna one is that they provide a basic USB HUB function as well and when they were designed Saitek had in mind the USB powered FIP (LCD gauge panels) and wanted modular that might need more power than most USB peripherals and so they gave the option of powering their Yoke hub too ... I've only ever seen this rare official Saitek "plug in the wall" power adapter once or twice on Ebay and its way over priced, you do not need it to power the yoke or throttle quad ... just go for a good quality powered USB HUB for any hungry peripherals you plan to add and forget about the Saitek USB hub aspect of the Yoke product altogether, its only 3 ports anyway.

BTW ... I helped beta test the Saitek FIP LCD gauges.

As an aside, sometimes too you could be better off plugging in your USB peripherals into just USB 2.0 ports, I know USB 3.0 and 3.1 is supposed to be backward compatible, but on some recent X99 boards its causing problems using the USB 3.0 ports with some hardware, teething problems for me staying at the cutting edge again :)

I'm not sure, but I dont think there are any USB 3.0 or new standard 3.1 hardware out yet? especially Flight Sim peripherals.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to post an update. It's been a while as I have been out of town with work. Anyway on my last road trip I placed the order for the Saitek rudder pedals (the good ones with the tow brakes) and they arrived upon my return. I installed them this past weekend and just like you guys mentioned they work like a charm and no power adapter was required. 

This hardware has really transformed FSX for me, and I am so glad I sprung for the rudder pedals and brakes as it makes a world of difference to the overall experience both on the ground and in the air. Anyway thanks again everybody.

• 5 years later...

Just an FYI for those in the 2020 years... If you have Thrustmaster's MFD panels and you plug them into the Yoke, don't load the Logitech/Saitek drivers. Use the ones Microsoft provides, or you will need to disconnect the MFD panels and find another port(s) to plug them into.  Even on a powered USB 3.1 hub, the Yoke shuts off non-Saitek/Logitech devices, apparently. They were working fine before the driver install, but once it restarted the machine... bye bye Thrustmaster.

Archived