Blue Angels - Fun Facts and Fast Flying

GregJ

I highly recommend a series of 4 programs originally shown on (I think) the Discovery Channel called "Blue Angels: A Year in the Life". It can be bought on DVD but I've also seen at least 3 of the episodes available on Youtube. The episodes are about 45-50 minutes each, tracking the Blue Angels during the preparation for and entire 2004 show season. I like it because while there is some very exciting flying it is really about what it takes to be a Blue Angel; there are some terrific take-aways that are excellent life lessons. These guys are much more than just great pilots.

You can also follow my post here which has some of the many pictures I took throughout my 3 years with the Blue Angels which I just transferred from there last year.  The guy flying in that video was actually #2's brother.  The show site in the video was Seattle Seafair.  Definitely an awesome show, some of the pictures I attached in that link above are from Seattle as well.

It is good time :)  I went to that show at the Naval Academy many time as a child growing up and then of course during my time on the team.  I always wanted that to be my home show since I grew up there but never could cause it was always considered a "Remote" show which is what the shows are they don't actually happen over an Airfield.  Either way good time, I always had to claim Andrews AFB or Oceana, Pax River as my home shows.

The "Blues" just arrived back home here in Pensacola last week from winter training.  They are already practicing at NAS Pensacola before huge visiting crowds getting ready for another year of displaying Naval Aviation to the country.

First time I watched the Blues they were flying the F9F Panther.

Yep, they are already on there third show weekend of the season.  This weekend in Tuscaloosa, AL.  While I loved being on the team, the travel did wear you down over time but it was all worth it without any doubt and I would do it again :)

Archived