Looking for inspiration

moorpark

I spend most of my time flying in the UK, especially In and around my home airfield in South West Scotland but would like to get into flying in the wilderness of the Pacific Northwest up in into Alaska with the challenge of terrain and weather.

To get some inspiration, what is your favourite region and airport/ airfield in that area

I like SAK. Three interesting flying grounds : from Juneau PAJN to Whitehorse CYXY or to the Glacier Bay National Park, around Yakutat PAYA along the coastal plain and the mountain range (in both directions), and from Valdez (still a default airport) to Anchorage ot to PAEN and PAHO in the Kentai peninsula.

CRM, too often ignored, is not bad at all and if you like bushflying you've all the challenging USFS strips East of McCall, KMYL. Very dry country.

In PNW, the Pacific coast is a nice flying ground too, say from S45 to Bowerman (a great freeware) or along the string of volcanoes more to the East with several nice small airports in between.

If you're into floatplanes PFJ is the region to get (few land airports).

This is not exhaustive and there are plenty of other interesting places. Have a look on Google Earth ! You can get the .kmz files on the product pages.

Ooh, that's a tough call to make!

For my recent flying, I can narrow it down to two:

Yakutat airport (PAYA) in the SAK region, which is in the heart of glacier & mountain country, and Sandspit (CYZP) in PFJ, for island flying.  I normally use real-world weather, and this time of year that tends to be a challenge.  It's good to learn a bit of IFR just in case.  I use the payware PAYA which is gorgeous, but CYZP and all the other normal region airports are still pretty good.

Mind you, next week I'll likely have two different locations...

The combination of PFJ, FSAddon's Tongass Fjords and the Return to Misty Moorings freeware treasure trove of bush scenery for the area is hard to beat.  RTMM's Cambrian Ice Field Stations gives you a lot of bush flying adventures.

Noel

Cheers for the suggestions guys, been hopping in and out of airports and strips in the areas mentions using real weather in ASN, great bit of country. Think PFJ is the way to go..... Cheers

If you're going PFJ be sure to visit Return to Misty Moorings.  In addition to landing facilities, both land and water they also provide additional ai traffic and a lot of ship traffic in the waterways along with very detailed maps and more.  And it's all freeware.

Noel

Hi Moorpark. Try flying the Aleutian island chain out from western Alaska. Flying from the mainland out to the tip of the chain near Russia is a very interesting trip through a variety of sceneries, including glaciers. This is not one of the highly detailed areas, but if you have the Global Vector package, it's pretty darned good. Happy flying!

Archived