Uninstalled FSX and installed Steam version. Well worth it

Daynas

All,

I know that many have written about the benefits of FSX Steam but I would like to add to that. I have been using FS for about the last 10-15 years and the Steam version is by far the best one yet. The improvements are well worth it. Frame rate is not only much faster but it is smoother as well. I have not had a OOM error since installing. 

I have the same issues as others. I get the DLL error messages when I start up (I know that there is nothing I can do about that for now) and the black boxes where lights would be (I know there is a DX10 fix for that somewhere that I need to buy).

All in all the benefit of Steam is the improved frame rate and far better reliability. Well worth it folks.

Hi

This is the quote by JV

'2. If you want to use DX Preview mode and avoid our FTX Global lights being displayed as black squares, you must purchase and install Steve's DX10 fixer tool and run FSX:SE in DX10 Preview Mode. You can get a copy of the tool here: http://www.flightsim...roducts_id=2630

(Alternatively there is a free shader fix for the lights (not yet tested by us) over at AVSIM) - http://library.avsim...php?DLID=185080'

Hope it helps

Kind regards

Ian

Yes I think it is worth it also. I have DX10 Fixer Installed. Not seeing any black boxes at all. Just waiting for the object flow fixes and hope they have them soon.

There is some other stuff that just does not work. Active Sky Next is working on an update, which I need. Some Aerosoft stuff is also having problems.

Anyone know if it is necessary to enter the Highmem Fix=1 in the FSX Config?

Yes I think it is worth it also. I have DX10 Fixer Installed. Not seeing any black boxes at all. Just waiting for the object flow fixes and hope they have them soon.

There is some other stuff that just does not work. Active Sky Next is working on an update, which I need. Some Aerosoft stuff is also having problems.

Anyone know if it is necessary to enter the Highmem Fix=1 in the FSX Config?

Objectflow and ASN are without a doubt the big ones, but I havent seen an Aerosoft product that is having issues. All the ones I have are fully functional. 

HighMemFix is hard coded into the sim so there is no need to enter it in FSX Steam Edition.

Just to add to this post with a generic question. Is upgrading to DX10 really worth it (It will cost me $30 for the DX10 fix)? I have scoured various forums and cant quite decide if DX10 excites people or not. Is it really a big improvement in the quality of the graphics?

Just to add to this post with a generic question. Is upgrading to DX10 really worth it (It will cost me $30 for the DX10 fix)? I have scoured various forums and cant quite decide if DX10 excites people or not. Is it really a big improvement in the quality of the graphics?

Hi Daynas,

To be honest I've gone back to good ol' DX9. DX10 still has a few funny moments on my PC but DX9 is now nice and smooth,

Simon

As you can read in Ian's post above, there is a free version.

It solves the majority of the Dx10 problems and you could try

this without spending any money and reach your

own decision.

The link is direct and you must be logged on for it to work.

Otherwise you can search the Avsim library for

shader_release_v3.2.3.zip

Yes it's fast and smooth but until Orbx is 100% onboard with all their installers it's just not worth the headaches of getting everything to work.

I congratulate the ones who are able to get most of their addons working but let's face it, Orbx is the major player here and not Steam.

So back I go to the boxed FSX version until another day, hopefully sooner than later.

If you are waiting for dedicated installers for FSX-SE, there will be none.

If you have it installed alone then the existing installers will work as they

do for FSX.

If you have it installed with FSX, then there is an effective and not too

complex work around in the FSX Steam forum here.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/89673-temporary-workaround-for-installing-orbx-scenery-with-fsxse/

Thanks Nick,

So are you saying if I did a complete reformat of my hard drive and then installed Steam + FTX Global Base the textures would install and display without any editing?

Pete

Thats what I did. I don't know what to say here aside from I didnt have any issues once I started installed on my Orbx add-ons. Everything works perfectly (after I uninstalled FSX and removed all the remaining files.

Thanks Nick,

So are you saying if I did a complete reformat of my hard drive and then installed Steam + FTX Global Base the textures would install and display without any editing?

Pete

Yes.

If there has never been an FSX installation, then FSX Steam uses all the same registry entries and

folder structures as FSX does.

It is only if there is already an FSX installation present or all of its registry entries have not been removed

that FSX Steam uses a different registry entry and all its external folders and some files gain the suffix -SE.

I too have gone to FSX-SE.  I ran FSX and FSX-SE side by side on my pc, using a test flight from Monterey, CA to Redding, CA with NCA installed.  Sliders all at the high end plus REX clouds.  My flights on FSX always ended before I reached the Delta with a crash.  No problem with a crash on FSX-SE and scenery blocking was less of an issue. FTX Central is an issue, as the ORBX LIbrary install reverts some XML files to point away from FSX-SE.  Once I figured that out and got everything pointing to FSX-SE my problem was reduced to changing the XML files when an ORBX Library installation was performed.  It was quite a lot of work, since some of the older ORBX airports install a version of the ORBX Library and this reverts the XML files to an earlier version.  So I uninstalled FSX, removed the hard drive that FSX was on, and put FSX-SE on a SSD, completely new install of everything.  Same ORBX Library issue, but I had the fix down.  Somewhere along the way Terrain.cfg was corrupted so I found Holger's instructions and fixed that problem.  I hadn't been simming much last year as I could not go on a flight of more than 2 hours without a crash on FSX.  On FSX-SE I have had 3 hour flights in the US and Australia with no issues.  I don't know why, but the sim seems to have better ground detail (at least I notice more).  I haven't been able to get FTX Global Terrain mesh to install, as it still seems to be looking for the FSX scenery folder which is no longer on the pc.  Once I solve that issue I'm done.

Well I re-partioned the hard drive and installed Windows 7 to it's original factory settings.  No trace of FSX.

Installed Steam and then Global Base and the latest Orbs.

Everything installed with no errors either with FTX Central or FSX Steam.

Results the same.  No Global base textures showing.  All default textures.

Anyone?

Just flew out of Naples, Italy and KCDC, Cedar City, UT.  Global textures show in both places.  I had problems with Global textures until I fixed Terrain.cfg and did an altitude exclude for KCDC in Vector.  All I saw was the base FSX airport under the Global textures.  After my fixes KCDC (one of the Global enhanced airports) and the Global texture were fine.  After installing the latest ORBX Library I discovered that Peopleflow was added to KCDC.  Great job by the folks doing the Golbal airport upgrades.

I have no clue why Global installed on a virgin system but doesn't display.  It doesn't make any sense but there are some other things I didn't like about Steam anyway so I am back to the boxed version.

One of which is you have to be logged in and online to run.  Where I am you can't count on Comcast all the time.  Another was I fly the default Maule a lot and noticed I didn't like the exterior textures on Steam as much as boxed.  Might not be a valid point but that is what it seemed.

Anyway performance is good on a fresh system with most the sliders all the way up.

• 8 months later...

I have no clue why Global installed on a virgin system but doesn't display.  It doesn't make any sense but there are some other things I didn't like about Steam anyway so I am back to the boxed version.

One of which is you have to be logged in and online to run.  Where I am you can't count on Comcast all the time.  Another was I fly the default Maule a lot and noticed I didn't like the exterior textures on Steam as much as boxed.  Might not be a valid point but that is what it seemed.

Anyway performance is good on a fresh system with most the sliders all the way up.

you don't have to be online to run it but it does seem you have to enter your login quite frequently.

I run offline by disabling my internet connection and then starting FSX and then you enter your login and it says you cant because you are not connected but it gives you an offline option.  if I find an 'always start offline' option, Ill use it.  I cant stand being 'checked' all the time.

Archived