Setup can not create the following folder: \Effects

Demious

I've been checking out a lot of old addons I had lying around, to see what I want to install on FSX:SE, but in the process I ran some stuf that messed up some things, so I thought to do a clean install with the addons I selected.

Now I reinstalled FSX:SE and want to install FTX Global again, but the installer wont complete with the following message:

Error

Settup can not create the following folder:

\Effects

Regions give the same type of error message, but can not find the ORBX\script foler.

I already checked the registry to delete entries from the first installation of FSX:SE and also ran the FTX registry fix from the freeware page, but this didnt help.

What can I do to make FTX Global install properly?

I checked all folder from the root to the mentioned folder, but every folder has read and write rights from system, admin account and my user account.

Yesterday it worked just fine, only thing changed is that the new root folder is named a little different than the root folder I used yesterday. Could this have something to do with it? That's why I was thinking it might be something in the registry that was leftover from the first install.

It was indeed a registry problem, but not a wrong, or leftover entry, but a missing one.

It took me some time to figure out the right folder in the registry, but the actual fix was very simple.

In registry folder: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\Flight Simulator\10.0

add a new string value entry, called SetupPath, containing the path to inside the FSX folder, like:

E:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\...

I ran the FTX installer again and the isntaller works perfectly fine. Only now I get a path error when FTX central opens, saying it cant find the file path.

Anyone any idea how to proceed from here?

I've been at it for 4 hours, until I finaly came to the conclusion: What the heck am I doing?

I uninstalled FSX and took 20 minutes to reinstal. ;D

(Being so focussed on conquering this problem that I totaly forgot to pick the easiest battle.  :banghead:  <_<  )

I've been at it for 4 hours, until I finaly came to the conclusion: What the heck am I doing?

I uninstalled FSX and took 20 minutes to reinstal. ;D

(Being so focussed on conquering this problem that I totaly forgot to pick the easiest battle.  :banghead:  <_<  )

Your problem may be that your Ftxcentral scenery library path isn't linking to the correct one. I made a thread a few hours ago on this forum showing a workaround and what to change in ftxcentral config files so that the correct scenery may be loaded. have a read and see if it helps.

I see you're running MS:FSX next to FSX:SE and I'm not. the path in my registry FSX\10.0 folder is already set to FSX:SE folder and I tried to change xml-files to see what would happen, but then the configurator cant find a path to the cfg-files.

Ah well, after the new install, FTX installers seem to find their way, so i'm okay now. :)

I understood that you are not using both at the same time. what I am saying is you may have 2 scenery folders. Just check this folder "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\". If you see 2 folders "FSX" and "FSX-SE" it is the culprit.

edit: When you say you are okay are you sure your scenery is loaded?

• 3 weeks later...

In registry folder: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\Flight Simulator\10.0

add a new string value entry, called SetupPath, containing the path to inside the FSX folder, like:

It was indeed a registry problem, but not a wrong, or leftover entry, but a missing one.

It took me some time to figure out the right folder in the registry, but the actual fix was very simple.

I ran the FTX installer again and the isntaller works perfectly fine. Only now I get a path error when FTX central opens, saying it cant find the file path.

Anyone any idea how to proceed from here?

I hate to sound like a dum ass. But can someone explain how to do this?   My FSX Discs are shot. Thats the only reason I got Steam. Now its more adjusting and fixing and tweaking and researching how to run software. Oh ya, Its for a flight sim. Seems like I havnt flown in months. I cant be the only one frustrated.

Archived