Radio button error when installing FTX Global on FSX: Steam version

I try installing FTX Global on FSX Steam version, but I keep getting an error about a radio button in line 10, just after selecting FSX in the install window. I uninstalled the disk version of FSX, uninstalled FTX Global (but using the Windows Configuration Panel, not the FTX Uninstaller) I tried installing FSX in D: and C: Steam libraries, but keep getting the error. It looks like there are remnants of FTX Global left somewhere, because the FTX Uninstaller is stil there and working, but throws the same error as the installer.

Windows version is 8.1.

Order number is 263370.

Coen van Hasselt

So I uninstalled everything, installed the FS disk version in the same location as it was before and then ran the FTX Global installer. This time the error did not occur, but the file copy window appeared for less than a second, FTX Central did not open and was not installed. The FTX uninstall is gone too. And I still have the default FS textures. No FTX or ORBX traces left in the Configuration Panel. Now what?

Here's my status now:

- Installing in the disk version of FSX does not throw an error and runs up to and including the files verification, but then stops. Result: no files are installed (although an ORBX folder is created with very little in it).

- Installing in the Steam version (after uninstalling the disk version completely) still throws the radio button 01 error.

- Copying the ORBX folder to the steam/common/fsx path does not change anything

Therefore I cannot install FTX Global in whatever version of FSX. I ran a registry cleaner (CCleaner), but that makes no difference.

The world looks bare. Please help!

I did a complete reinstall of the disk version (again), tried to install FTX Global ... and failed. Then installed a number of other add-ons that went ok and for some reason decided to give FTX one more go. And what do you know: I'm looking at a file copy window that's telling me it's installing FTX Global. You know the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over againg and expecting different results. Now I know my wife's right all these years: I have a screw loose :).

For now I'll stay with the disk version. With the steam version FTX was a disatster, REX Essential did not inject weather and my PMDG j41 resused to install because the installation directory was "an invalid FSX directory". I'll wait a bit for everybody to sort out things before I'll give it another try.

With all due respect, unless you have a complete understanding

of how both FSX and FSX.SE function, continuing down

the paths you are on will only end in tears.

FTX support for FSX SE has been declared but not yet

implemented, so please wait.

Nick,

John stated at the top of this forum the following: 1. Our Orbx installers will find the FSX:SE folders correctly as long as it is the only version of FSX installed

We, along with alot of the community who have begun to work with FSX SE, were under the impression that having FSX SE alone on a system to yield a usable simulator with the exception of the objectflows that need updating. I am confused to now see you say that FTX does not support FSX SE at this time. 

I didn't exactly say that, I said that there is support

but like everyone else, it is early days.

That's what I meant here.

FTX support for FSX SE has been declared but not yet

implemented, so please wait.

I simply do not recommend going your own way,

unless, as I clearly said, you know exactly what you

are doing.

This topic alone shows that busking it is unlikely to work.

Done a little more digging and some searching on the forums and found this post 

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/58159-radio-buttons-error-message-when-installing-ftx-flight-simulator-ftx-au-ymml-melbourne-international-v2/?p=524948

After running the Reg repair tool i found my two reg entries on HKEY_LOCAL & User after going onto regedit  (serch reg button at bottom of above linked program) i proceed to delete these two reg entries.

Once they have been deleted clearing up the reg conflict that was preventing ORBX installer from getting the correct path you can re run the repair tool apply the new steam directory.

All seems to be working now for me installing as i write this. !!*Be warned though as above posts have said you waiting for actual support is the best option. editing your system registry can brake your game and your OP system*!!

Well, the good news is that after a couple of days of applied anger management I finally have the disk FSX up and running again with all my add-ons working as before. Also in the process I found that I was way behind on versions for some stuff. So now I'm even better off than before and something good has come out of this after all. As for SE I'll wait a bit for everything to come together a bit better. Given the dedication of the add-on builders and the quality of their work I am convinced that not long from now I'll be tempted to give in another try.

There may be problems installing on a dual FSX /FSX-SE system, (or one which formerly had original FSX which was incompletely removed due to not doing a registry cleaning post-uninstall).

However, on a virgin SE-only installation, I had no problems at all. I just finished installation of Global Base 1.30, OpenLC Europe and Vector 1.20, and it all went smoothly. I did not have to do any manual file or registry manipulation. It installed with no error messages, with the exception of the known error with objectflow.dll. I get a caution message relating to the DLL when starting FSX-SE, so I just click on "do not run".

I do NOT have any FTX regions or ORBX airports installed, so can't speak to any possible issues with installation of those products on an SE-only system.

I try installing FTX Global on FSX Steam version, but I keep getting an error about a radio button in line 10, just after selecting FSX in the install window. I uninstalled the disk version of FSX, uninstalled FTX Global (but using the Windows Configuration Panel, not the FTX Uninstaller) I tried installing FSX in D: and C: Steam libraries, but keep getting the error. It looks like there are remnants of FTX Global left somewhere, because the FTX Uninstaller is stil there and working, but throws the same error as the installer.

Windows version is 8.1.

Order number is 263370.

Coen van Hasselt

Run FSX Registry Repair of Flight1. In my case Problem is solved!

Run FSX Registry Repair from Flight 1. It solved my problem

• 2 weeks later...

Done a little more digging and some searching on the forums and found this post 

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/58159-radio-buttons-error-message-when-installing-ftx-flight-simulator-ftx-au-ymml-melbourne-international-v2/?p=524948

After running the Reg repair tool i found my two reg entries on HKEY_LOCAL & User after going onto regedit  (serch reg button at bottom of above linked program) i proceed to delete these two reg entries.

Once they have been deleted clearing up the reg conflict that was preventing ORBX installer from getting the correct path you can re run the repair tool apply the new steam directory.

All seems to be working now for me installing as i write this. !!*Be warned though as above posts have said you waiting for actual support is the best option. editing your system registry can brake your game and your OP system*!!

Doing this as well as removing the 'ORB' entries inside 'The Flight Sim Store' directory located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\The FlightSim Store

Helped me resolve this issue. Obviously this will only work if you purchased FTX Global Base from the Flight Sim Store.

• 4 weeks later...

I also have the "radio button 1" error, I'm not using Steam version, just the disk version

here's what happened: was running orbx base + ireland on Win 7 without a problem. Decided to upgrade my PC, installed windows 8.1, BUT I didn't do a fresh FSX install as I didn't want to lose all the aircraft that took years of collecting. As you know, you don't need to do a fresh install every time you reinstall your OS - all you need to to is run the EXE from the directory where it's installed (as long as it's on a different partition than your OS) and it will set up all the dependencies on your OS.

Anyhow, I run the FSX from one drive, it got it's dependencies set up, but then if foolishly decided to move the folder to a different drive. FSX had no problem running of the new drive, I had my aircraft and everything, but the Orbx scenery wasnt there. Fair enough, decided to reinstall it, but I keep getting the error. Obviously I can see how my actions screwed things up, but I would like to know what is the exact cause of this error so I could fix it? I already tried 2 different registry fix tools, one of which available from the orbx downloads section to no avail. 

I don't enjoy chasing odd advices on the internet and trying silly things, like running CCleaner and what not, I think developers should be able to look at their code and see what exactly causes this error and come up with a solution. As I said, I don't use steam, never had, so the scope of the issue and number of affected users could be wider than you think

in my mind, what would really help if Orbx could provide a checklist of some sorts of all the dependencies that need to be in place, all registry entries, paths, variables, temp folders and so on.

looking at insidecorrosion's post, I also got my base pack from flight sim store, can anyone confirm if he's approach is valid or just a coincidence/one of many steps involved to get it working?

As explained in our FAQ http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/72243-radio-buttons-error-message-during-install/the issues point to registry errors.

Our installers read what is there, so if you get an error, you need to fix your registry.

I use the FSX Registry Utility from TweakFS http://www.tweakfs.com/store/free_tools.phpto set up dummy install scenarios and am able to switch the paths on the fly, so I highly recommend this tool.

If you have a 64 bit OS and prefer to amend the registry entry manually,

open the registry editor and Navigate to

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0

and change the value of setupPath to match the location to which you moved your

FSX folder.

Since you mention these things, CCleaner is an excellent tool for removing spurious registry entries.

I can see no reason why developers should or even could produce code to cover the number

of various means that users contrive to damage or destroy their software installations.

For future reference, perhaps the FSX Steam forum was not the right place to be for

someone who doesn't use Steam.

I agree that my issue is not related to steam and I apologize if I'm "hijacking" the thread, I was led here through countless hours of googling till I found a user in steam community forums suggesting to try this thread. What surprises me is that your FAQ is not available publicly and one has to register to get access to this information. Putting it up on your support page and making it visible to google might save everyone a good deal of time.

Thanks for the links, I'll try them out in the evening

I was in no way suggesting that developers should attempt to create idiot-proof software, what I was suggesting is providing a bit more transparency regarding the dependencies so that idiots (in this case - me) could attempt to fix their mess.. for what it's worth it looks like FAQ provided will do just that, so hopefully this works

• 1 month later...

Run FSX Registry Repair of Flight1. In my case Problem is solved!

Run FSX Registry Repair from Flight 1. It solved my problem

Thanks for sharing with us, The problem has gone.

Congratulations !

Warmly,

Marco Aurélio

Archived