More terrain elevation problems in Idaho - US

gaab

0U3 terrain (N44° 44.58' / W114° 55.44') is mostly hidden (very narrow landing strip)...

0U3.jpg

12ID ( N44*58.08' /  W114*43.97') is on the river !

12ID.jpg

85U (N45*06.26' /  W114*48.00' in a pit

85U.jpg

I08 (N45*08.61' / W114*55.74') splitted in 2 parts, almost hidden in a forest

I08.jpg

I98D (N45*07.98' / W115*00.10') crossing the river

I98D.jpg

I will stop here. But I wonder how many other terrains are misplaced ... :wacko:

I like the scenery which is so much better than the native FSX, but I am worried by these positionning problems.

Is your Vector up to date? Did you run the AEC auto config tool in Vector?

I have checked all these in my FS and they all show correct and very different then yours, I have also checked mine against Google Earth and they are all bang on. Although I do have FTXNAGoldCRM full region installed.

Cheers

Doug

Is your Vector up to date? Did you run the AEC auto config tool in Vector?

I have checked all these in my FS and they all show correct and very different then yours, I have also checked mine against Google Earth and they are all bang on. Although I do have FTXNAGoldCRM full region installed.

Cheers

Doug

My installation is from three days ago and I have only the products mentionned in my signature.

During installing of OpenLC, I encounted disk space problem - without any feed back by the installers. >:(

Following your remark, I will reinstall Vector (1.2) + Library + AEC autoconfig, just in case there were already missing disk space during its installation.

Thank you for your feedback

I reinstalled Vector (1.2) + Library + AEC autoconfig with NO change.

All the views of terrains remain as shown here before.

I see that you have FS Global 2010 installed. This may explain your results.

Anyways thanks.

Cheers

Gérard

To ORBX staff

I checked another small terrain - A13 Bold - Anchorage.

Once more I have an elevation problem.

I can't imagine that there so many errors in Global base + Global Vector.

Please give me a clue to find out what is wrong with my installation.

And please don't tell me that it is fixed with FS Global 2010, which is not supposed to be mandatory !

A13.jpg

I doubt FSGlobal2010 is responsible for fixing elevation issues...it probably creates them Lol :) But my A13 is correct.

dybVE.png
 RIaYP.png

And I see that A13 is not even on the list of airports in Vector to choose for manual disable.

g9FhG.png

What is your FS mesh resolution set at?

Gerard

I really like the areas you like to fly and also noticed that they are in ORBX full fat regions....I checked out a few more of the small strips in the Idaho area and the upgrade of scenery that CRM provides over Global is spectacular, and also A13 is in SAK full fat region and is by far the most spectacular scenery I have experienced. I think with the type of flying you are doing and the places you are exploring, IMO you need the regions. :)

to Doogles : yes I did click on the apply button. You can see the exclude list contains only 4 iceland airports.

And each time I start Vector Configurator, it is empty.

Before my reinstall, the list was much longer.

GlobalVector.jpg

Concerning the FS mesh my resolution set at 10 m as recommended in the Global Quick Reference Settings.

As soon as my problems are fixed, I will take a look at your suggestion. Your A13 looks much better than mine !

Thanks Doogles for your support.

(As you may have noticed, English is not my native language. So, be indulgent with my writing errors.)

To Richard : thank you for your support. To give you as much information as possible, I have prepared a report of the installation of the products.

Installation "history"

I run Windows 7 64bits on a powerfull recent PC
UAC is disabled

I always install
- using a user with administrative authority
- on a drive different from C: - FSX and addOns are on a SDD F:\FSX

BUT I run FSX (and every other application) under a user with standard rights

I am a recent user of FSX (4 months) and as such have very few AddOns
- Some freeware planes
- One freeware photo scenery : Japan_Mont_Fuji
- DX10SceneryFixer v2.6  (I am runing in DX10 preview mode)

I previously installed the Iceland Demo OFF + patch => which convinced me to buy Global Base + Global Vector + OpenLC Europe

Before Global installation I uninstalled the Iceland Demo (under Administrator user) as described in the User Guide

Uninstalling the FTXG OFF Demo

Simply exit the sim, and click on the uninstaller icon
    on your desktop, or run the uninstaller from the Orbx
    Start  Menu  group  or  Windows  Control  Panel.  The
    process is partially automated.

Now complete these manual steps:

1. You will then need to restart the sim and you will
    see an error message about a missing scenery library
    folder. This is expected behaviour

I did not get this message and there was still one ORBX active entry in the Scenery Library (FTXAA_ORBXLIBS)

2. Open the Scenery Library and remove the Orbxlibs
    entry  manually.  Our  installer  is  not  able  to
    automatically remove this entry

3.  Once  you  have  removed  the  Orbxlibs  entry  the
    uninstallation is complete.

There was still an ORBX directory     

Répertoire de F:\FSX\ORBX\ORBX

16/12/2014  00:28    <REP>          .
      16/12/2014  00:28    <REP>          ..
      16/12/2014  00:28    <REP>          FTX_AU
      16/12/2014  00:28    <REP>          FTX_NA
      16/12/2014  00:28    <REP>          FTX_OLC
      16/12/2014  00:28    <REP>          Scripts
      16/12/2014  00:28    <REP>          User Documents

The /S dir command shows
                  2945 fichier(s)    1 270 904 792 octets
                   197 Rép(s)  35 030 544 384 octets libres

I manually suppressed this directory before going on with the installations

Global BASE went smoothly
Global Vector - Windows asked if the installation was Ok...

OpenLC - I faced problems installing the 2 last European regions : there was not enought disc space for their installation.
The installers were VERY fast but without ANY warning about insufficient disc space.
The regions were not listed in the report of FTX Central - it took me time before I realized that disc space was the problem.
After freeing enought space every thing went Ok (but Windows kept asking if installations was Ok...).

I end up installing ORBX LIBRARIES.
I runned FTX Vector Configurator AEC Auto-Configuration (and I did apply the result), both in Admin and standard user (under which I usually run FSX).
I finished by running DX10SceneryFixer.

FTX Central Report :

FTX AA ORBX LIBRARIES VER 141207 7th DECEMBER 2014
      FTX GLOBAL BASE PACK - Version 1.30 September 2014
      FTX GLOBAL VECTOR PACK - Version 1.20 October 2014
      FTX openLC Base Region Version 1.10 - September 2013

FTX openLC Europe Region 1 (Eastern Europe) Version 1.00 - July 2014
      FTX openLC Europe Region 10 (UK & Ireland) Version 1.00 - July 2014
      FTX openLC Europe Region 2 (Scandinavia) Version 1.00 - July 2014
      FTX openLC Europe Region 3 (Russia) Version 1.00 - July 2014
      FTX openLC Europe Region 4 (France) Version 1.00 - July 2014
      FTX openLC Europe Region 5 (Turkey) Version 1.00- July 2014
      FTX openLC Europe Region 6 (Germany) Version 1.00 - July 2014
      FTX openLC Europe Region 7 (Mediterranean East & West) Version 1.00- July 2014
      FTX openLC Europe Region 8 & 9 (Iceland) Version 1.10 - June 2014
      FTX openLC North America Region 1 Version 1.00 - September 2013

Because of the "bad" results with Airport Elevation, I re-installed (without previously un-installing) VECTOR (and ORBXLIBS).
When I runned AEC, I got the error described in post http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/89160-error-messaqge-in-vector-aec/?p=814877
I applied the solution proposed by Ed Correia which solved the issue.

----------------------------------      
Settings - Scenery Library lists (I did not modify ANYTHING manually after install)

FTXAA_ORBXLIBS (priority 1)
ORBX!OPENLC_EUROPE 1 to 10 (2 to 11)
ORBX!OPENLC_NAMERICA1 (12)
ORBX!OPENLC_BASE (13)
[...]
Africa (36)
ORBX!VECTOR_OBJ (priority 37), ORBX!VECTOR_APT (38), ORBX!VECTOR_CVX (39), ORBX!VECTOR_EXX (40)
Base 1107 (41)
[...]
ORBX!VECTOR_AEC (priority 137), before only "Décor par défaut" (138) and "Relief par défaut" (139)

Hope this helps

Richard,

I am a little stubborn ;D . I went on, trying to narrow my problem.

I can confirm it is a Vector problem. I disabled Vector as explained in http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/70953-how-to-uninstall-vector/ and I got back all my little airfields of Idaho, the way I was accustomed to see them.

I read in Vector110_Readme.pdf

(Remark : As an old dataprocessing guy, I ALWAYS read the documentations and try to follow carefully the instructions given...)

First you will need a 3D wireframe, the mesh. FS Global 2010 or Ultimate series are recommended, as we do all the testing and developing on these.

[...]

Where we found out Vector scenery was right and the airport was wrong, we left it as is.

I will not argue on your "scientific" claimed approach, but insists on the consistency on flying experience (I mean airfields were I can land !) I expect with FSX.

And, with the above statement, I fear that, with my expectations, FS Global is mandatory contrary to what I read in the advertisement for Vector.

I hope that I have only an installation error you can help me to fix, not a missing mesh...

Cheers

Gérard

Hi Gaab, checked only one quickly with ADE and I can say that I08 is bended by default FSX and there are many narrow RWYS in default FSX so blaming Vector for all the wrong things is cutting corners,

ADE is a free software that allows every one to check what default airports look like before complaining, why doesn't someone get it then?

my 50 cent

Herman

Hi electricman,

For I08 you are absolutly right - and i apologize for this erroneous "complain".

But airfields in a pit is not FSX fault (see my other print screen).

- I had the habit to fly there BEFORE buying the products - so I knew how they looked before complaining,

- As I mentioned in this thread, desactivating VECTOR did solve all my previous "complaints".

my full Vector licence fee... ::)

Gérard

Gerard,
in your answer to Doogles (#10) you followed the Global User Guide recommendation to set your MESH Resolution to 10m however this goes against ORBX recommendations that recommend 5m.  Pilot's, makes GLOBAL, and VECTOR and apparently their editorial staff decided to reverse the text.

Here is a cut n' paste of the CRM full fat area manual.

FWIW 10m MESH Resolution will cause problems in a lot of ORBX scenery.

ChBY.jpg

Thanks to point this out.

I will try this setting, but as I have ONLY Global Base, Vector and OpenLC EU (no Airport, no region, default mesh from FSX), I don't think this will have an impact.

It's late, here in Europe, so I will try latter and let you know the result.

Cheers

Gérard

Hello Gerard,

Sorry I took so long to get back to you as I have had an internet failure in my area for 3-4 days .Basically what I have found are as follows before we push on.

0U3, Runway width is the same as default

121D, There is indeed a water body around this runway

85U, I am not seeing an issue on my sim though I will look into it

I08, As above

198D, As above

So I have decided to un install Vector and Mesh and will post back my findings on what is the anomaly here.

I would also like to take the opportunity to express that any issue anyone is having with Vector Please post it with a detailed description of the problems you are facing, I am here to help and no question is a silly one.

No "complaints" from me in trying to sort out an issue for you.

Thanks

Richard 

Hello Richard,

Since I disabled Vector, I went back on each airfield and could verify how it was in native FSX.

- I see that 0U3 and I08 (as well as A13 after disabling Frozen Surface) are the same in native FSX. I apologize to wrongly point at them.

- I confirm that 85U and ID67 are in a pit on my configuration with Vector - and are at the right level without Vector.

Concerning 12ID, I98D, 2U8, according to Pilot's approach (recently discovered in "Vector110_Readme.pdf") they are probably right - on my viewpoint (consistency in flying experience) they are problematic.

I respect your design choices, I only regret to discover them now. I would not have bought Vector if I had undertood earlier the consequences.

Thanks for your help and your nice comments.

Gérard

Hello Gaab, just checked 85U and I99D ( wich is west down the valley from I08 ) wich were both off as to altitude and both can be disabled in the AEC tool and show correct then, so my guess is that your AEC tool is not correctly installed or at the wrong place in your scenery library.

Herman

Hello electricman,

I did try to disable ID67 (shown in a previous thread) - but it remains partially hidden which still does not allow correct landing and take off.

I took a look on Pilot's site : AFM - Aerodrome Flattening Meshes (which seems to be replaced by AEC) was advertised of adressing the problem of flat airports.

I would have expected that Vector/AEC with Fsx native mesh solved also that question.

I have checked that the scenery order is as expected by Global (source : various threads on this forum).

Thank for your suggestion.

Gérard

FTX%20Vector%20ID67.jpg

gaab,

here is what the fields look like when you have Global, Vector, LC EU, and most importantly the FTX/ORBX Regions that the airports are located in (FTX/NRM and FTX/CRM).

As you can plainly see there is no elevation problems or broken runways, one does curve to the left as shown.

I see buildings in just about all your screenshots which tells me you have other scenery or something else for these airports installed.  As you see in my shots there is a building only in screen shot #2.

Unless your willing to buy the Regions I don't think your going to be satisfied with the results as you have found already.

AVQgI.jpg

eb0l8.jpg

WoGF2.jpg

2TxUw.jpg

TgR9.jpg

Spud,

You are right and I followed your advice. ^-^

I bought and installed NA CRN and NRM only two days ago, and since, I get the same results you shows.

But all my screenshots were made before. And I had NO other scenery at that time.

BTW, in my undestanding, activating NA region disables Global.

On areas were there is no corresponding add-ons, the same problem may (will) arise.

Hybrid mode effect is more subtle, but fondamentally will not modify the results.

Cheers,

Gérard

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Richard,

I confirm that 85U and ID67 are in a pit on my configuration with Vector - and are at the right level without Vector.

Any information on, at least, this two exemples.

Thank in advance

Gerard,

not quite right that switching to North America disables Global.  Global is mostly replacement textures for the FSX default textures.  When using a "full fat region" (IE: North America) the textures in the region are already enhanced and much better than the old FSX default textures and will display because the FTX Central will turn off the new Global textures in the region selected.  If you elect to use the Hybrid mode of Global then there is a subtle difference when flying in the "full fat regions" ( I personally can't see much difference and usually just stay in Hybrid mode of Global.  That way I can fly in and out of ORBX regions without stopping and changing to Global.

Remember that with VECTOR installed you should use the VECTOR Configuration tool to run the Autoconfiguration of VECTOR every time you install new scenery.  In additon you must always re-install the latest ORBX libraries after installing new ORBX scenery.

Archived