FTX Norway Buglist

Andrew Thomsen

We are writing a buglist in English at Flightsim.no.

http://flightsim.no/forum/smf/index.php?topic=83240.0

Just want to mention a few bugs myself. First, bridges:

The Askøy Bridge, Bergen, has one main cable higher up than the other one. All the bridges should have red warning lights on top of the towers; blinking red for the largest ones. But I know this is difficult regarding P3D, so I do not expect too much, as LM still have some fixing to do.

Then, lighthouses im my area:

The lighthouses (great models by the way!) at Lindesnes and Lista are wrongly placed.

Lindesnes: 57,98250°N 7,04667°E.

Lista: 58,10928°N 6,56691°E.

The big rock Lindesnes lighthouse sits on, is mostly rock only. Now it is too greenish.

A tip: Myself, I never use Google Earth for reference, as it is way too sloppy. Especially up north. Instead, I use Norgeibilder for reference:

http://www.norgeibilder.no/

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep an eye on that list. For some items we might need more specific information.

I'll look into adding the bridge obstruction lights when I work on the marine lights; in fact, they may be in that database because that was the case for major bridges in the North American light lists.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep an eye on that list. For some items we might need more specific information.

I'll look into adding the bridge obstruction lights when I work on the marine lights; in fact, they may be in that database because that was the case for major bridges in the North American light lists.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks, Holger.

If you need more details, no problem, we'll provide as best we can. Regarding the bridges, I can get the blinking reds to work in P3D, but not the steady red, which are used on older, smaller bridges. These are fx_obslight, and fx_obslight2, which I attach in gmax. The effects in P3D is in general, still a mess.

Hi Andrew,

The lighthouses (great models by the way!) at Lindesnes and Lista are wrongly placed.

Lindesnes: 57,98250°N 7,04667°E.

Lista: 58,10928°N 6,56691°E.

We did use http://www.norgeibilder.no/ for the placement of the lighthouses and I'm curious why you think those two are misplaced as they seem to me correctly located when checking against the local roads and shorelines in the norgeibilder imagery?

There's a comment in the list about the coloring of one of the lighthouses (Andenes). We didn't have the budget for custom models of all 94 lighthouses so we made a library of about a third of the most iconic ones (the screenshot below shows a few of those models) and then for the others used the best fit from that library.

Cheers, Holger

post-375-0-64601700-1418691836_thumb.jpg

Hi Holger,

I can easily see they are misplaced - as I have been living here more than 20 years. Both lighthouses are in my "backyard".

Using NiB, you can still get offset if you not know some local stuff, which is:

Lindesnes has an old lighthouse on top of the hill. This was the first lighthouse in Norway, actually, with an alcove for wood fire in certain directions. This is where you have placed your lighthouse. The present lighthouse sits lower, more south. I think you are "lured" by using the rings on the photo for placement (has been many lighthouses at both Lindesnes and Lista). You can use the shadow as reference, and place the lighthouse foot at the shadow bottom. This is what I do.

Lista lighthouse should also be placed using the shadow as a reference. I think also here, one of the circles on the photo has been used. Those three rings you see on the photo, are from old times, when we had three lighthouses there at the same time, each of them beaming the light in a different direction.

As Arnold S says: I'll be back! With a couple of photos.

OK, we don't need the photos. Just go to Norgeibilder.no, then make a search for "Lindesnes", then choose the lighthouse from the list. You will get a pushpin indicating the lighthouse, but it points at the top of it, which is not good enough for placement. Click the white foot of the lighthouse, and you get the coordinates I have already posted.

Your Lista lighthouse is placed 25 meters offset. Use the same method here, search for "Lista", click "Lista fyr" in the list. The pushpin will point at the middle height of the lighthouse. Mouse click at the bottom, and you have the coordinates already given here.

Not at all. Would you like to land on a runway 25 meters offset? I always work this way, and place objects by decimeters, not meters. We also use a lot of photosceneries (29 in my Airports of Norway scenery). So objects needs to be put straight. Here's a pic of Lista lighthouse. The arrow indicates where it is real-life.

15846994668_7b78d69b75_o.jpg

Its pretty common that Orbx scenery is so good and our expectations are so high that ``locals`` can find any small deviation from what is actually on the ground.

If and when I fly over that area at a 100knt I wouldn`t have had a clue whether or not the lighthouse was positioned `perfectly` or not.  And most likely I wouldn`t care because I`m not from there.

I would just fly over the area and look down and say, kwel, nice lighthouse.

I thing bridges out of alignment with roads at either end are more of a distraction when flying.

cheers

There's a comment in the list about the coloring of one of the lighthouses (Andenes). We didn't have the budget for custom models of all 94 lighthouses so we made a library of about a third of the most iconic ones (the screenshot below shows a few of those models) and then for the others used the best fit from that library.

Cheers, Holger

No sweat. I thought it was a quick fix to change colours, so never mind.

However the lighthouse is too short. In real life it stands 40 meters tall, and rages above all the houses of the town. It is an important VFR landmark as it can be seen from quite a distance. It is a quick fix if you just rescale it. I could do it myself, but I don't want to get in trouble with the EULA.

https://andoybilder.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/nf0002-36.jpg

Good point. Myself I am still fighting with flattening at ENML. It is a very tough area to get straight, and cannot be good without a compromise or two. My compromise was to remove a small parking spot from my ENML photo. Very few people will notice anyway.

Also notice the location of the tower. Weird, but logical. I also think there are no sea planes in "tower harbour".

15466702284_3037430554_o.jpg

A note for ENKB, Kristiansund.
Well the runway is too short he should be 2390 M and is now 1835 M,the runway must longer in the east direction.
ATC tower is not at the airport, but it must stand outside the airport
on the south side of the runway.

(Maybe posted before,but i can't find it.)

Jan

I absolutely love FTX Norway. Thanks to a few days leave I spent several hours in my virtual cockpit, checking all that fancy stuff (love the guy walking his dog at Dokka ENDO, didn't get out of the plane though).

For your list: The frequency for the ILS 04 at ENCN Kristiansand should be 110.350 acc. to Avinor Charts, but appears to be 110.30 in the scenery.

A note for ENLK, Leknes.
Well the runway is too short he should be 1070 M and is now 868 M.

ENSH , Helle .ATC tower is not at the airport, but it must stand outside the airport ,about 350 to the south.

ENHK Hasvik  the runway must 1039 M and is now 800 M and no overrun but have a Offset Threshold.

Jan

Good point. Myself I am still fighting with flattening at ENML. It is a very tough area to get straight, and cannot be good without a compromise or two. My compromise was to remove a small parking spot from my ENML photo. Very few people will notice anyway.

Also notice the location of the tower. Weird, but logical. I also think there are no sea planes in "tower harbour".

15466702284_3037430554_o.jpg

Hi Andrew, am I right to think that you are going to release a version of your airports compatible with the orbx product? Etienne

Me thinks a lot of nitpicking is going on in this topic! Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Me thinks this also.  However, I guess it doesn't hurt to point out some of these things.  Some are just annoyances to locals living in the area, but staff may be able to address them and thereby improve the product.

"Jetta" communicationtower - "Blåhøe" mountain.

Big landmark (antenna) north west of ENRI (Ringebu/Frya) is missing.

luXof.jpg

d1IT0.th.jpg bPmsI.th.jpg u6h9s.th.jpg 5G8t1.th.jpg ikTvn.th.jpg C0pVQ.th.jpg

The third highest road for cars in Norway - to the top of Blåhøe 1617m high.

Outstanding view to three nationalparks, Jotunheimen in the west, Rondane in the east,and Dovrefjell in the north!

Almost on the top, a road take you to the place Vole, it's a startplatform for hanggliding and paragliding.

On the top of Blåhøe mountain, Jetta communicationtower is buildt in year 1969.

67,5 m high. 

1500m3 concrete who was made on place, was used to the tower. Only the antenna is 40 tonns in weight.

While I'm touring over the stunning FTX-Norway I discover that some important landmarks are missing. These landmarks are desirable for old-fashioned VFR. I hope it's still OK that I report.  8)

The well known antenna on the mountain "Gaustatoppen" north west of ENNO (Notodden) is missing.

G8oZX.jpg

cN7RK.th.jpg BdUG7.th.jpg edrSX.th.jpg eb2mC.th.jpg

"Rjukan", just below this well known mountain, became known for a famous sabotage action during World War II.

The Norwegian heavy water sabotage was a series of actions undertaken by Norwegian saboteurs during World War II to prevent the German nuclear energy project from acquiring heavy water (deuterium oxide), which could be used to produce nuclear weapons.

In 1943, a team of SOE-trained Norwegian commandos succeeded in destroying the production facility with a second attempt, Operation Gunnerside. Operation Gunnerside was later evaluated by SOE as the most successful act of sabotage in all of World War II.

Hi alcliff,

thanks for the additional suggestions. Just to manage expectations it's unlikely we'll have the budget to make any additional custom models meaning we can place objects that approximate those particular antennae or monuments but they won't be specific models of the real thing.

Cheers, Holger

Thank you very much for your feedback, Holger.

On the Norwegian website Flightsim.no we can download a freeware called "Norway_Churches". It consists of one standard object (might call it a symbol) that spread correctly all over the country. Works great.

It is better, and obviously more realistic, with an approximate standard model than emptiness. When the map shows that we are flying towards a known landmark, such as antennas / towers, it is satisfying that this landmark is confirmed in the terrain of FTX-Norway.  8)

So an approximate standard model is a great goal.  :)

Don't know if this is a "bug" or an effect we need to live with to have airport beacons, but in FSX the searchlight/beacon at ENEG casts a lime green cone from one of its two beams.  The lime green cone paints everything in that rather unrealistic color as it skims over them.  Two screenshots are posted below.  I like having the airport beacons, but this effect isn't the best. 

Bill

5oqFQ.jpg

YGw4.jpg

Some more landmarks is missing, and some of them are relatively close to airports. Mostly large concrete towers (with mast) that are placed on high mountains. Very visual and therefore useful for VFR flights.

We would be grateful if these missing towers/landmarks can join the upcoming update.  :)

OySLv.th.jpg      AfLFS.th.jpg      rSGq.th.jpg      9CTIx.th.jpg      v7aCE.th.jpg      N1uVL.th.jpg      

tmgKT.th.jpg      otyQ.th.jpg      F4W3r.th.jpg      tb1HY.th.jpg      7Eod3.th.jpg      MDcWx.th.jpg      

ihRPs.th.jpg      nKgsE.th.jpg      t0nFU.th.jpg      QC3by.th.jpg      l6AQr.th.jpg      G4kq.th.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure if this is a Norwegian bug or just me...

In FSX default, ENLI (Lista) Rwy 14 has an ILS 109.30. This is not active in the Orbx scenery. 

Is it me, or is it a bug?

BTW, the scenery is stunning and hardly touches the frame rates on my 2 year old i7 system.

Thanks!

John

Archived