Installation order in FSX scenery manager?

hobeprime

Hello,

I'm a new customer and I'm afraid I have a rather silly question which I would have expected to be answered somewhere in the FAQs or guides but to me they seem to partially contradict each other or deal with other issues.

I have bought

FTX Global Base

FTX Global open LC Europe

FTX Global vector

FTX: EU Ireland

However, I'm not satisfied with the result. In order to find out where the problem lies, I would just like to know WHERE (in which scenery layers) those should appear within the FSX scenery manager.
I do not need an installation order or an explanation what exactly these add-ons do. I just need to know where they should be in relation to my other add-on-sceneries and the standard FSX entries.

That would be brilliant!

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Dennis

I'd like to "piggy back" on this if you don't mind.

I have Global, Vector, NA Gold Central Rockies, and KJAC.  This is in addition to many add on airports. 

I see your positions above, but wonder if they are the same for me. 

Specifically, as it relates to FTXAA_ORBXLIBS?  I'm not sure what you mean by "installed at or near the top of the FTX product list"?

Does the library go immediately before FTX_AA_KJAC and FTX_NA_CRM05_SCENERY, FTX_NA_CRM06_CVX, FTX_NA_CRM07_MESH, and FTX_NA_CRM08_CUSTOM?  If not - where?  Thank you!

FTX Central puts the library above all my regions' and airports' entries

and I see no reason to doubt that this is the right place.

As I said above, I don't think that the position of the library entry is key,

it is not a "layer" as such and so long as it is active, all the calls for the

scenery objects will be answered.

And FWIW, I have installed all of Don Grovestine's British Columbia airfields (they are excellent BTW), the Vancouver+ and Victoria+ addons, and the Tongass Fjords sceneries.  *All* are placed, by recommendation of the authors, above the ORBXLib file and all other ORBX airfields and regions.  These are the only entries in the Scenery Library placed at the top of the Library.

As Stewart points out that if a scenery location is within the boundary of an ORBX region or regions the entry should always be above the FTX entries in the scenery library.  This will prevent any excludes, exclusions etc. in the regions from over writing the addon scenery and not allowing proper display of the scenery.

A caveat is in order however.  If you change ORBX regions using FTX Central, for example, from Global to North America you will discover that all the FTX files have been relocated back to the top, above your 3rd party scenery.  This is jus the way FTX Central functions and to prevent it from ocurring you must use FTX Central to make an insertion point for the FTX and OZx files.  Once the point is established the library will function correctly and the FTX files will remain below the other scenery files in your library that are required to stay 'above' FTX.

Stewart, I noticed in your post you said that Tongas X was "above" FTX.  The manual for Tongas X clearly says to place the Higer and Lower Priority files below FTX entries.

Thanks, spud, but I can't seem to find that reference to Higher and Lower Priority files being placed below FTX entries, just that any land class add-on for North America should be placed below Tongass X.  Do you have a page reference?

Stewart,

here is a link to a post wherein I asked and Holger confirms that Tongass X files go 'below' FTX file in the FSX Scenery Library. Check out post #8 and #9.

Straight from the "horses mouth"!

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/79612-optimum-scenery-insertion-point-for-ftxglobal/?hl=tongass#entry730552

Archived