Trim Switches - Potential (VERY) Silly Question...

JamesIceland

Hi all,

Something has just occurred to me after many years of sim flying: I think I have my trim switches assigned upside down!

Using a Saitek Yoke with the rocker switch on the left, I currently have trim up assigned if I click the rocker downwards (position T2 - button 4) and trim down assigned to clicking it upwards (position T1 - button3). My thinking being that pull up to go up (back and down) and push forward to go down (forward and up). Having not flown a real aircraft and then recently watching a couple of videos I can't help but notice that I have probably been doing this all backwards for many years! So literally rocking upwards should mean trim up and rocking down should mean trim down!

To complete my humiliation, please confirm my error...I can then go about unlearning my mistake!

Many thanks

James

actually, you're just fine :)

The easiest way to think about it, as you have said, is to set the switch to be an extension of the yoke movement... If you need to constantly pull back on the yoke (need nose up trim), you pull the switch toward you, as you are doing with the yoke, and vice versa.

Just think of it as a mini 2-axis joystick...

Hi both, thank you for that - I genuinely thought I had it all backwards but your description Rob is exactly how I have been using it and how I felt it to be correct - an extension of the yoke action! Glad I don't have to unlearn some bad habits. The guys in the videos I watched on the other hand....

James

Archived