To hybrid or not to hybrid?

B77X

With the great Carenado PC-12, I finally have a perfect airplane for me to fly around the North American regions. But I like to take flights just barely outside the regions like to KLAS or KLAX.

Would I see a difference if I do not check Hybrid in the FTX Central program?

You're flying within the North America region when you fly to KLAS or KLAx, so I don't think there's any benefit to checking Hybrid.  The purpose of Hybrid mode, as I understand it (and someone can correct me on this), is for flying between a region you have already installed, say, North America, and a region you do not have installed, say, South America.  In my case, for example, it would be a case of flying between North America, which I have, and Europe, which I don't have.  I do not have Hybrid checked because I don't fly between NA and Europe.

Cheers!

Stew

You're flying within the North America region when you fly to KLAS or KLAx, so I don't think there's any benefit to checking Hybrid.  The purpose of Hybrid mode, as I understand it (and someone can correct me on this), is for flying between a region you have already installed, say, North America, and a region you do not have installed, say, South America.  In my case, for example, it would be a case of flying between North America, which I have, and Europe, which I don't have.  I do not have Hybrid checked because I don't fly between NA and Europe.

Cheers!

Stew

Hybrid is for when you fly outside of the Orbx regions. KLAS and KLAX are outside the NCA region. But I am asking if there is much difference that I would notice if I do not check hybrid and only select North America

Hi there,

while the difference is fairly minimal, for North America you lose more detail when flying in Hybrid mode in the FTX regions than flying in North America mode outside the FTX regions so the choice is clear: stay in North America mode. For Europe and Oceania the situation is reversed so you always want to select Hybrid mode when doing flights that move you outside the FTX regions.

Cheers, Holger

Hybrid is for when you fly outside of the Orbx regions. KLAS and KLAX are outside the NCA region. But I am asking if there is much difference that I would notice if I do not check hybrid and only select North America

Sorry, but that's not my understanding of the use of the Hybrid mode.

Hi there,

while the difference is fairly minimal, for North America you lose more detail when flying in Hybrid mode in the FTX regions than flying in North America mode outside the FTX regions so the choice is clear: stay in North America mode. For Europe and Oceania the situation is reversed so you always want to select Hybrid mode when doing flights that move you outside the FTX regions.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger, first time I see that distinction between NA and Oceania/Europe (new Global user here). Very useful.

Hi there,

Cheers, Holger

Great info thanks for the clarification. I will use North America from now on. And of course this will all be fixed when you expand the regions to cover the rest of California and Nevada! Hopefully soon! :)

Archived