Season transition problems

deleted

Hi everyone,

I just installed completely new my FSX and FTX Addons (FTX Global, FTX Vector, FTX OpenLC Europe). 

I know seasons are controlled by the season.bgl from MS FSX. But with the new OpenLC Europe seasons should be fully supported ("Full five seasons support")

But why does my FSX still look like this when I start my flight f.e. at "EDNY" in "November" ...

2014-10-24_14-46-34-930.jpg

I installed in the right order and installed ORBXlibs after all.

THX for your help.

ORDER NUMBERS:

FTX GLOBAL: #FSS0236276

FTX VECTOR: #FSS0321518

FTX OPENLC EUROPE: #FSS0306530

Hi there,

only the FTX Regions contain custom season control files so what you're seeing is indeed the default seasons.bgl file at work. For some reason when ACES made the global seasons control file for FSX they thought that dithered transitions along latitudional season boundaries would be the way to go, don't ask me why...  Obviously, the issue is most visible in situations where "hard winter" textures meet "mild winter" counterparts. The easiest work-around is to move the date a month back or forth.

The reference to "Full five seasons support" is regarding the landclass ground textures and their autogen vegetation not the control file.

Cheers, Holger

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I'm experiencing the same thing right now. Flying from Orbx KJAC to Orbx KPSP, I fly out of a region area to the Global Hybrid area and get this patchy square shaped snow. Holger, what does "dithered transitions along latitudional season boundaries" even mean? Is there a fix for this patchy inbetween season look other than moving a season up or down?

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

sorry about the jargon. I've posted more information about how seasons are controlled in FSX/P3D here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/18695-pnw-textures/?p=162697

"Dithered" refers to the fact that the default seasons control file doesn't have smooth boundaries between different seasons but rather this odd "shotgun" transition with neighboring ground textures being assigned  different seasonal variants. The screenshot below has the default seasons control file on the left (for an area of the Central Rockies) and our custom seasons file for the same area on the right. Each pixel controls the seasonal variant for a landclass tile of approx. 1 sq km. Grey pixels will force "mild winter" variants to display (without snow on the ground) and white pixels force snow-covered variants to display. As you can see the default control file has adjacent tiles vary between hard and mild winter, which leads to the white "blobs" in the screenshot at the top of this thread. 

There's no fix other than making more appropriate/accurate custom seasons file, which we do for FTX regions. As I mentioned elsewhere they require lots of research and tedious manual fine tuning and thus are limited to these products. As far as I know no one else is offering replacements for the default seasons control files so there aren't any third-party options either.

Thus, the current workaround for locations where these "shotgun" transitions occur is to move the date forward or backward by a month.

Cheers, Holger

post-375-0-27713200-1415559863_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thanks Holger for the explanation. I shall do some reading up on the topic.

So I jumped into my DeLorean and made it to May last year and yes, the mismatch is gone.

However, I seem to have upset the timeline somehow, as I the world is disappearing around me. I have patches of complete blackness appearing randomly (not all of them as big as in the screenshot). Is that a related issue or something else. I've searched for black patches, but all I could find was an issue with black squares back in 2013, which this isn't.

Another nod in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Regardless of this, I shall waist another day of my precious holiday, to fly around Europe with a big stupid grin on my face, because the scenery is now just so beautiful.

Cheers

new.jpg

Archived