Shadows cause problems in CEF4 (Airdrie)

Rianur

Hi,

In addition to the strange runway flashing black blocks at Airdire Airpark CEF4 (reported by other users in other threads), I am seeing black streaks coming from downtown Calgary buildings, as well as some buildings south of downtown.

Turning off ground shadows removes these effects, but that is a less then optimal solution,

H4sbL.png

i0UoB.png

2FUq.png

TAiL6.png

I do have all the latest libs, and have installed the FTX products in the proscribed order.

Any help removing these distracting effects would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I might be wrong but I believe that since enabling ground shadows causes such a performance hit for very little realism, and the way photoreal scenery often has fixed ground shadows, that FTX products are tested with ground shadows off.

Devs might have a different view but I would suggest that turning off ground shadows is the recommended option in FTX.

Orbx has always recommended switching off ground shadows in FSX, why? the shadow system in FSX was/is terribly implemented and eats a ton of performance, plus we bake our own shadows into the ground, and most if not all photoreal has its own natural shadows

If you want awesome object shadowing, get into P3DV2

Cheers

Tim

Orbx has always recommended switching off ground shadows in FSX, why? the shadow system in FSX was/is terribly implemented and eats a ton of performance, plus we bake our own shadows into the ground, and most if not all photoreal has its own natural shadows

If you want awesome object shadowing, get into P3DV2

I have to say I [reluctantly] agree with Tim. I've always desperately wanted ground shadows to work properly in FSX and just can't see it ever happening with ORBX scenery: a massive amount of additional work for them to benefit just a few of us ... and only for a short while until we migrate to P3D anyway!

It's not so much the ground shadows (as Tim says - they're "baked in") - it's decent shadows around airport buildings that I miss the most. I suppose I need to look to the future (ie. P3D) and keep saving for my new rig - which will be P3D *only*.

Adam.

To enlighten further..

The problem with FSX object shadows is how the engine reads the shape, in FSX it requires all buildings/objects to have a solid 'bottom', it then reads this 'bottom' shape and projects the shadow accordingly, when an object does not have a bottom (and most of ours do not) it does not cast a shadow (or a correct shadow), then there is another issue with how some models are constructed (even the default FSX models) causing the 'black tractor beam'.

In P3D the shadows are more direct and true, in that the entire shape is cast as if a light there was a light (or sun) shone across it causing a shadow to be cast, the real corker with P3D is it recognizes alpha channels so objects like trees show a proper shadow, and not just two black squarish shapes

I hope that helps with understanding why we (Orbx) choose to not use the internal object shadowing system in FSX, and instead bake the shadows in manually (in quite a few different ways too, each developer has a different way of doing it)

Cheers

Tim

Hi Rianur,

These lines and artefacts only appear at some airports (Orbx and non-Orbx) and only at certain angles. I'd stick with leaving them on, if you want the effect (I have it on - without any noticable effect on performance at all). As stated by the devs, the baked in shadows around the airports will, however, make for some strange observations when the shadow cast by the building points the one way, and the baked in shadow indicates another time of day and season. And P3D ain't going to get rid of that either, unless all of the shadows you can see at the airports are erased by hand from all of the buildings and from all of the aprons. That would be quite a task indeed... ;)

Cheers

Mallard

To enlighten further..

Thanks for taking the time to explain this, Tim. Without knowing the technicalities, I guessed it was something along those lines - particularly after having seen trees cast totally square shadows.

I'd have thought P3D has to work with more than just the *base* of the object. What about a control tower "on a stalk", for instance - how would that work? Not having P3D yet, it's impossible for me to say :lol:.

Adam.

Archived