East Frisian Island Postal Service

Stillwater

Continuing the pleasure cruise around my home, it is now time to support the postal delivery service onto the Ostfriesische Inseln. Just a few years ago, this was also the way to bring the new movies to the Island´s cinemas (IT progress changes the times...).

I am not sure if someone is interested to read that I was actually WALKING to most of these islands when I was a child - which is possible during low tide (and with a certified guide, as this can be very dangerous).

Getting ready to start from Bremerhaven, in the usual north german summer weather - and again facing the lovely placed windmills.

aSJXp.jpg

Just after crossing the Weser to the west, the Nordenham airworks appear. They are building steel and titanium fuselage parts for Airbus and - under contract - for Boeing and Dassault. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premium_AEROTEC

Yx6aE.jpg

Arriving at the Jade bight, obviously a windy place...

N7B3c.jpg

Wilhelmshaven with its oil harbour. I remember driving there years ago on early Sunday mornings on the Autobahn. No traffic. No speed limit. And surely faster than the Cessna...

F9EiA.jpg

5knUi.jpg

Harlesiel airport - I would suspect this is too small even for this bird.

GXnyr.jpg

Wangerooge ahead, for the first delivery landing...

3b4NM.jpg

... and taking off again.

INQL3.jpg

Now for Langeoog...

1h5O3.jpg

HyOFR.jpg

... and Juist.

hv7mO.jpg

The tour continued via Borkum with some international postings to Hilversum, but I have already published that part... http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/83710-looking-for-wolter/?hl=wolter

Hi, Gerold,

a nice set from that flight.

But Harlesiel is not to small for this bird. I was flying from there still with a BN 2 (to Helgoland and back) and also with a Cessna 172 (to Borkum and back).

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=n225YTGHFX4

I just remebered the good old times TM when you went to the Postamt instead of the Postagentur or Packshop or whatever they call it nowadays. And don't even get me started about this newfangled "electronic mail" ... Pff, kids these days.  :lol:

nice set and good geograhy lesson

stu

Thanks Stu, good that Orbx came to us and we now have the chance to show you around!

Fantastic set Gerold! Really enjoyed it!!!

O0

A nice set!

Hi, Gerold,

a nice set from that flight.

But Harlesiel is not to small for this bird. I was flying from there still with a BN 2 (to Helgoland and back) and also with a Cessna 172 (to Borkum and back).

Impressive, Dieter, I would not have tried it from the view in the sim!

Wow! Did the tide ever catch you when you were crossing to the islands?

Talk about brave!

This is a great set, really liked the narrative.

... and I like writing it! (PS: the guides take care you reach the safe point of payment before the tide gets in.)

Nice! You need a "Deutsche Bundespost" livery for your plane. :)

That would be an idea!

I just remebered the good old times TM when you went to the Postamt instead of the Postagentur or Packshop or whatever they call it nowadays. And don't even get me started about this newfangled "electronic mail" ... Pff, kids these days.  :lol:

Haha, fun to read your comments! And I am glad you had some fun watching the screenies, too!

Archived