Video Card Upgrade to GTX 750 from GTX 465

Matthew Kane

When I first built my rig I put an EVGA GTX465 1024MB in it because it was on sale at the time and I had the intention of upgrading it down the road. Right now I am looking at the GeForce GTX 750 Video Card, 2048MB, DDR5, PCIe-16 because they are good value at the moment.

Here are my specs:

P6X58D-E / I7-950 / EVGA GTX465 1024MB / 6GB 1600mhz / Samsung 840 Series 500GB SSD / Win7-64

Would it be worth going up to the GTX 750 2048MB Video Card using my I7-950 3.06ghz processor or better to spend money on another area? I primarily use this rig for FSX/ORBX scenery and some other games like Truck Sim, Train Sim and Total War series.

Cheers

I upgraded to a 760 2 g from a 460 3 g and it made a big difference maybe not in FPS I gained some maybe 20% but I do get better performance and quicker rendering. It is a good short term move till I do a new build in the future. I don't know about the 750 thou.  Josh 

Watch out for the x50 range this is a really low-spec card, stick to the x60, x70, x80 types... f.e GTX660, 670, 680, 760, 770, 780 etc

GTX750 vs GTX760 comparison http://www.hwcompare.com/17107/geforce-gtx-750-vs-geforce-gtx-760/ http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1130?vs=1038 you'll see what I mean :)

You can get some pretty cheap 760 at the moment... around the 200-260 dollar mark

I recently moved from a GTX480 to a GTX670... awesome!!

Tim

In a recent post I asked about the benefit of moving from a GTX 480 to a GTX 770 and had some really positive replies.  It's interesting to see you have moved to the 670 and appear to be very happy.  Could you spare a couple of minutes to outline what you see as the improvements/

Many thanks in anticipation.

Pete

Hi Pete

I normally pick up the (higher-end x70/x80) GPUs when they hit the 300-400 dollar mark, I've had the GTX...260, 285, 480 before the 670, and I'm rather chuffed with it, though in about 6 months I'll most likely pick up a 770/780 when the price drops :)

Its not a huge step up from a 480, but its a darn sight cooler to run (70-100c vs 40-60c), sucks a lot less power (50%), heaps quieter and runs FSX/P3D and everything else nicely, comparison between the two here http://www.hwcompare.com/12526/geforce-gtx-480-vs-geforce-gtx-670/ , however if I was buying a card today it would be a 770, like this http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_1486&products_id=23605

Hi Tim

Thanks for that info.  Yeah will probably go for the 770 - others have highly recommended that card for the money.

Hi Bruce - that card would be fantastic, but I have a wife, 3 kids with wife's/partners and 3 grandchildren to support, lol, so I think I'm gonna have to stick with the 770 !

Pete

Hi Peter,

I have a Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4Gig Windforce version, I am running FSX in DX9 mode, I throw everything at with excellent results, so if you decide on the GTX770 you won't be sorry, but here in Aussie it cost me about $550, that's significantly less than the GTX780 @ approx $900 AU.

Hi Peter,

That sounds interesting, I just did a search on this site http://www.inno3d.com/product/gtx770_4gb.html just to compare the specs.

Inno3D GTX770 4G (Im guessing Non OC version)

GPU Clock 1071MHz 

Memory Clock 7Gbps or 7000MHz

Boost Clock 1111  

Texture Fillrate 136.7G/Texel/s

Memory Speed ?

Memory Bandwith GB/Sec 224

Gigabyte GTX770 OC 4 (GV-N770OC-4GD)

GPU Clock 1137MHz 

Memory Clock  7010MHz

Boost Clock 1189MHz 

Texture Fillrate 145.5G/Texel/s

Memory Speed 1753MHz

Memory Bandwith GB/Sec 224

Both cards are Gen3 PCIEx16 dual slot with same amount of Video Ram 4G GDDR5, the things you will have to consider when making your ultimate decision, is wether your MOBO is compatable with GEN3.0 PCIEx16 and can take advantage of all the latest features with this level of hardware, also is your PSU capable of sustaining this graphics card @ 550watts including all other components in your system RAM CPU, USB, ............ etc, I personally run a 850watt PSU. It would be of benefit to ask a reputable techie in your home town if the GTX770 is right for your system and if you will need to make other modifications to accommodate the GTX770. One other thing to consider is the physical length of the card, the 770 being one of the longest, do you have room in the case.

Hope this has been of help in your decision making.

For FSX/P3D always look for a single core card

For FSX/P3D do not waste your money on two cards. There is, in the margin of error, no documented improvement in performance.

Will your PSU handle the larger card?

If you really want to spend the money, my recommendation is the GTX780

However!, it is my opinion that you will not see any OVERALL improvement and your money should go into the kitty for a future build.

OR

Buy the Noctua NH-D14 and overclock your CPU to 4.5G which it is very capable of handling.

I'm thinking about the same thing.

My current spec's are shown. The current GPU I'm using is the EVGA GTX570HD. What would be a much better GPU to go with?. I always assumed the CPU has more to do with and how graphic's card presents/performs itself in my FSX. I'm probably wrong though.

My current spec's are getting old anyway etc.

GrayRider

Hi Grayrider,

FSX is and always will be a CPU hog, P3D on the other hand is moving a lot of the pressure on to the GPU, allowing the CPU some breathing space... so for FSX its all about CPU speed, P3D is all about both GPU and CPU

So unless your getting prepar3d, the 570 is fine

Interesting.

Thanks Tim.

I was thinking about buying P3D, if I didn't have any FTX ORBX products, and I have a lot of the FTX ORBX products installed. It would probably take me a year to re-download and install all the ORBX products I currently have. Maybe there would be a way to transfer all my FTX ORBX products from my FSX to P3D. I don't think it would be that easy to do anyway, without starting over. With all the experts here in the ORBX forums world, could probably handle it.

GrayRider

Hi Peter,

Feisty iChill looks the goods, 'Factory Super Clocked' 55oC, it has some similar features to the Gigabyte windforce 3x cooling solution. 

But please try to remember what Tim Harris wrote above: FSX is mainly CPU intensive.

A better GPU will give an overall better FSX experience, but will top out with DX9 or DX10, delivering its full potential, whereas if you go to P3Dv2.3 its full DX11 potential will be better realised given the tasks are shifted toward a GPU that is just waiting to stretch its legs. Your CPU @4.2GHz will be free to concentrate on more important tasks. 

My new GTX 760 is awesome......Loaded up FSX just to check if their was a significant boost in FSX but nothing much different there however I have been playing Skyrim with it non-stop since I've installed it. 

I also got a new CoolerMaster K282 case and a new Western Digital 1tb drive for backing up my personal documents and software purchases. It is great that just a few upgrades makes it feel like an entire new system.

Thanks for your advice Tim and everyone as this was a better choice then the 750, also the 770 or higher would have been an issue with my PSU so this worked out to be the best match

Cheers

Hi Jeff

At the moment I'm running FSX DX10 and I'm pretty happy with it to be honest.  Pretty smooth, cockpit shadows etc.  However, the purchase of P3D looms closer so I'm just preparing myself in advance!

A whole new system would be the ideal, but will probably end up with a new GPU for now.

Thanks for all the advice.

Pete

Peter

that card would be fantastic, but I have a wife, 3 kids with wife's/partners and 3 grandchildren to support, lol, so I think I'm gonna have to stick with the 770 !

why don't you wait until the wifes birthday and buy her a GTX780 6mb card.i'm sure she would be over the moon :)

steve

Archived