So, when is v1.20 going to show its face?!?!?

• 2 weeks later...

The usual answer in this case is a poor customer relations answer. Vector has screwed up my FSX to the point where areas that are supposed to be lakes, rivers and reservoirs are bare patches of land. In addition, this has somehow impacted other third party photographic scenery that relies on FSX to tell it what land class to portray and it is misreading because of Vector evidently, and it also shows barren land where previously it correctly showed water. I realize that Vector is huge considering it attempts to show so much. Perhaps it was an attempt that required biting off more than they could chew. I would say, based on past experience with imperfect add-ons, that the lack of update news and silence and blunt responses from the FTX team, indicates they are having some major bugs that are hard to resolve and it's taking more time than they anticipated. This is understandable and bugs do occur that can be hard to fix. What is unacceptable is silence. If this were freeware, we would have no basis to complain, however it is not and it is rather expensive, especially in light of the way FTX has modularized this scenery package. I believe the FTX customer base are pretty loyal and love your work and are in the main a patient bunch. You should trust your customers and keep them informed even if it means some disgruntlement. The more part will understand and continue to be patient. Your integrity as a company shows when you do this.

Salty57

We do not give release dates, period

this to avoid all kind of misinterpretations and expectations, we will only release items when they are tested on multiple systems to be assured that the eventual bugs are filtered out, alas we get caught out sometimes as we also are just mere humans.

when we would give release dates and this subject has been addressed already multiple times in the past we create an expectation with the people who are interested in this scenery or addon and as there are always the unusual and not expected quirks that can pop up during testing and or development we would put a tremendous pressure on the Dev's and for what?

so the answer stays we release when it's ready and tested and the date will be determined by that and nothing else.

Salty instead of ranting perhaps check the preview forums and do a little more reading of other similar topics where Orbx staff have given answers already?

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/83855-vector-120-new-preview-screenshots-2/

I shared with the community over six weeks ago that 1.2 would be in August, and now the lead developer Bernd has said it would slip into September, mainly due to them addressing many of the bugs reported by customers these last five months since 1.15.

If anything Orbx as a developer over-communicates too much to its customers and this causes an expectation that questions are answered immediately each time they are asked even if they are asked over and over again from different people who don't bother to read other similar topics.

John and Wolter,

I never requested a release date. I did complain that "status" of 1.20 did not seem to be forthcoming. Now we know that what we suspected is true. 1.20 will slip to the right. I have no complaint if you have software issues that need to be corrected. That happens. I also understand that this is not FTX directly but another party that is working the issues. And John, if you think this was a rant, you are being a little too defensive. This was a complaint, not a rant. My language has been respectful throughout. I have done the logical thing and searched the forum far and wide to see if there has been a fix for the problem I stated above. Many complain of the same issue, barren ground where water should be, however as far as I can tell no resolution has been put forth. If I am mistaken, respond to this post with a solution or the link to the topic that gives the solution and I will gladly follow it up. I will also apologize. I have many FTX products which I enjoy and I am a loyal customer, but this is not a airport scenery add-on. Vector was an overarching change to FSX and it impacted many areas of how scenery is rendered. It's obviously complex and with complex changes, glitches will occur. Because of the cost and because of the many changes to FSX, it is incumbent on FTX to actually over communicate status so that customers will know you are doing your best and will be willing to be patient.

Hi!

There is a thread with preview screenshots that you should check. It's going to be released in September. The simple answer to the question "Why?" is: because it's huge. Just look at how big the US and Canada are :). This is going to be a massive update that throws away all hydrography / coastline data from previous versions and replaces them with the highest resolution data available.

I can see that the current version of VECTOR might be a disappointment especially in North America, but that's exactly why we have chosen to create this update (and it won't be the last one) :).

Bernd

Hi!

There is a thread with preview screenshots that you should check. It's going to be released in September. The simple answer to the question "Why?" is: because it's huge. Just look at how big the US and Canada are :). This is going to be a massive update that throws away all hydrography / coastline data from previous versions and replaces them with the highest resolution data available.

I can see that the current version of VECTOR might be a disappointment especially in North America, but that's exactly why we have chosen to create this update (and it won't be the last one) :).

Bernd

Thanks Bernd....as the O.P., that answers my question, and am very much looking forward to the release!   

Will it also include the complete Saint Lawrence River?

In v1.15 there's a good part missing. To my astonishment some lakes on islands within Saint Lawrence River ARE depicted, although there is no water around these islands.

Vector programming must be an interesting thing to do - but I join those eagerly awaiting the update.

And: Three cheers to the team(s) of OrbX, bringing updates in such a frequency - and on such a widespread area!

Michael.

Archived