optimum scenery insertion point for FTXGlobal

777ydowefly

With the above order, isn't it possible that the Orbx landclass layers could end up drawing default textures over custom airport textures.

How does the OrbyxLC know not to intrude into the custom 3rd party territory ?

Suggestion: in documentation place some example scenery layer pics of optimum layer arrangement for 3rd party airports, other FTX regions etc

Hi there,

unfortunately, there's no such thing as an "optimum" layer arrangement as there's pretty much an unlimited amount of possible add-on combinations. The general rule of thumb -- and not just for Orbx add-ons -- is to arrange stuff from "large area - low detail" to "local - high detail". That's pretty self explanatory as you want the most detailed add-on to "prevail".

Based on that logic you would place the openLC underneath the airport add-ons though it's unlikely that they would have display issues either way as most airport-add-ons provide photoreal or other custom ground textures within their coverage area meaning no default landclass textures are used.

Have another look at your FTX Global manual though: the openLC entries are not controlled by the scenery library insertion point tool in order to give users maximum flexibility as to how they stack/arrange their landclass add-ons.

Cheers, Holger

I remember a post awhile back saying to have the Open LC files placed below the FTX region files just above Ewards_AFB but they will not stay in that location when you switch regions with FTX Central the move back to the top of the FTX stack.  As you said Insertion Point will not control their location.

Hi Spud,

the openLC library entries will not move around by themselves thus I'm confused what you mean by "they will not stay in that location"? FTX Central will not change their position; mine sit just above the Global mesh entries, which in turn sit above Edwards AFB, and that's where they stay regardless of how many times I switch FTX Central. If that's not the case for you then something's amiss.

Cheers, Holger

Holger,

I'm not sure why but I have rearranged my scenery library probably 25 times over the past several months and yet the Open LC files will be moved to a position above all the FTX files.  Some times they will stay below for awhile then suddenly they appear back up top of the stack.

BTW my FTX Central has two insertion point tools.  One for FTX and the second for OZx insertion points I assume this is correct as I assume the OP does not have OZx installed.

You say your files sit just above the "Global Mesh files entries" which in turn sit just above the Edwards_AFB.  I can not find anything named "Global Mesh" in the list of files in the Scenery Library.  Checking the installed files in the 'reports' section of FTX Central shows that Global v1.20 is installed.

One more thing Tongass X files are placed just below my FTX files then the Open LC files are under Tongass X and just above Edwards_AFB.?

Hi Spud,

I was referring to the PILOTS FS Global 2010 terrain mesh add-on; if you don't have that installed then you wouldn't have those entries. Your order as listed in the last sentence is the correct equivalent without the PILOTS' mesh.

I can't think of a process that would move around the openLC entries unless you're using some other scenery.cfg tool. 

Yes, the OZx insertion point only appears for people with OZx installed.

Cheers, Holger

Very interested in this thread as I have exactly the same problem as Spud. I've now moved over to P3D2.2 (still have FSX on the pc), but for me the problem exists in both sims. Soon as I change a region, the OpenLC entries get moved back up above all other ORBX entries. Keen to see if any solution to this comes up out of the discussion.

Cheers

Jack

Just for interest, I noticed an anomaly when installing FTX Global Base...it  threw up an error message about FTXConfigurator_OLC.exe being in use so it could not update it, but I just waited a couple minutes then clicked 'Retry' which worked.  Win7 seems to temporarily lock files sometimes (for a short while).

Could it be reset to the layout in this file?

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Scenery.cfg_Orbx_Backup.cfg

Under some circumstance Orbx uses this. I also do not know when, or why, it is updated. I had my scenery order constantly being messed up and traced it to this file. I fixed it to equal my current scenery file layout/order. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived