Oregon textures

teecee

This is at 13OR (Aubrey mountain) in Oregon. I don't fly this area much as I don't like the textures, but that being said, I tried again today and the textures seem even worse.. both in spring and summer..My question.. do I have a problem here or are these textures correct? Teecee.

MnPG.jpg

Teecee,

I agree with the previous poster.  PNW installed, Global v1.2 and VECTOR v1.15 seems to reduce the size of the clear cut patches which are pretty much all over the PNW due to the method of logging that is in vogue these days.  They cut "everything" that is standing and let a small patch of trees at the top of the cut reseed the area.  Its ugly I agree but that is the way it is these days.  As a youth logging in Idaho the prevailing method then was selective cutting which left smaller trees standing.

Your screenshot may be without the new textures that Global replaces in FSX and hence the clear cuts are more pronounced.

Terry, I had this problem with the texture's one year ago, and I have found the problem. I will show how to resolve this by a few screenshots from my scenery library.

First two screenshots from my 13OR area and then two screenshots from my scenery library with the correct insertpoint. I hope that this will help you.These are the files you have made for Australia and have give me more than a year ago.

Your friend Peter

A9GMB.jpg

yRpGa.jpg

dSGI.jpg

MIPB.jpg

Interesting value judgement about "logging".  As presented the comments linking forestry and textures are not correct, one shouldn't assume that a texture issue is somehow related to clear cut logging.

What is in "vogue" now is called "retention harvesting".  And selection harvesting among many other technics is still very applicable and active in appropriate biogeoclimatic subzones.

Bryan

Retired professional forester of 40 years.

Hi guys,

the textures in Terry's screenshots are actually default landclass textures. That typically happens when one places another add-on with landclass files at higher display priority than the FXT block so that's what I'd be looking for in the scenery library menu.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks folks.

To my knowledge I have never overwritten textures in FSX, which is where my problem is.. I have created many small BGL's but not textures, as I would not know how, and I guess over the years I occasionally downloaded items which "Might" have overwritten textures.. but not for certain.

I have Global (but do not use it) but do not have Vector..could Global have changed the textures?

Holger, can you tell me which textures I need higher than others? or even which textures might be involved here? and would running "Repair" on FSX fix this? Teecee.

Teecee,

I agree with the previous poster.  PNW installed, Global v1.2 and VECTOR v1.15 seems to reduce the size of the clear cut patches which are pretty much all over the PNW due to the method of logging that is in vogue these days.  They cut "everything" that is standing and let a small patch of trees at the top of the cut reseed the area.  Its ugly I agree but that is the way it is these days.  As a youth logging in Idaho the prevailing method then was selective cutting which left smaller trees standing.

Your screenshot may be without the new textures that Global replaces in FSX and hence the clear cuts are more pronounced.

I'm no forester, but I know enough to understand that logging in dry Idaho is night/day from logging in wet Western Oregon. Different slopes, different trees, different methods. Clear cutting was common as rain when I was a kid growing up along the lower Columbia.

Hi Teecee,

sorry if that was misleading but I don't think any textures that have been overwritten, rather you seem to have some third-party landclass file active somewhere above (= at higher display priority) the FTX block of entries. That landclass file doesn't know about the custom PNW textures and thus call textures from the default set, in Scenery\World\texture.

In short, look through the add-ons located above FTX and temporarily uncheck any that might contain landclass files. You can do that during a flight (in pause or slew mode) meaning it's a pretty quick way of checking.

Cheers, Holger

P.S.: FYI a FSX repair is pretty much the safest way to completely kill your FSX installation! The only time you ever would even contemplate this is if you're running FSX without any complex scenery add-ons because the repair will blindly overwrite any FSX default files with non-default date stamps: landclass, aircraft.fg extensions, config files, clouds, etc... 

Hi Terry,

hmm, it does look like an odd mix though it's probably more the type of clearcut (we have three different sets) than altitude that makes the difference. Something else you might want to try is to set FTX Central to North America and hit Apply. Maybe it's just one of the Orbx core files that got out of sync.

Cheers, Holger

Archived