Zip Files from orbx invalid

filmogriter

Hi all,

With my current attempt to migrate to P3D I am trying to download updated installers and traffic for my orbx products. No matter what computer I download the files from and no matter which program I use to attempt to unzip the files I get an error telling me the files are invalid.

Anyone else experiencing this and is there a solution?

Thanks.

Firstly what are you attempting to extract them with, Please do not tell me the inbuilt compression tool in Windows, 

I have stated this on a number of occasions but will repeat myself .
1 For RAR files use WinRAR

2 For WinZIP Files use WinZip

3 For 7Zip Files use 7Zip

Yes I know these programs are supposed to be compatible but they are not, end of discussion - I do so much online assistance with racing communities and Compression tools incompatibility is the biggest problem.  

Never use WinRAR for WinZip files and vice versa and not the inbuilt tool in Windows as that WILL end in disaster.  

Yes, a number of other people have mentioned the same problem. I've had it myself. The files are invalid because they haven't completely downloaded.

I tried a few free downloading programs but the only one that's worked consistently so far is DownThemAll, a Firefox plugin which others have recommended.

All my downloads so far have worked. Seems very reliable to me, give it a try, it's free.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/downthemall/

Hi Filmogriter

I began my time with Orbx last year downloading and using Windows 8 and the inbuilt tool.

I am now using Windows 8.1 and again the inbuilt tool.

I have never had any problem with this method and will continue to use it

Kind regards

Ian

Thanks for your  responses guys.

Maurice_King - I have attempted to use various tools to do so but did discover, as mentioned by pvs193, the problem is due to files not downloading completely. 

JFS - I am running windows 7 :)

pvs193 - I will give  that a go thankyou. I have further discovered that if I download from the google server the files download fine. Only problem is not many of them are hosted there!

Again guys, thank you for your responses!

Sean.

Having the large files broken down into manageable segments would help a lot,  and it has been my experience that some download manager's while useful tools doesn't necessarily mean you won't have issues extracting with thewrong compression algorithm, 

Same here: for about three weeks now I am not able to download any file from OrbX using the standard Firefox or IE download managers, always a premature stop and/or a corrupt .zip file. Little annoying, but with GetRight, it still works flawlessly. Only glitch: sometimes you have to restart the download, because it does not automatically complete the download at the first try. Must be something wrong with the OrbX servers, never had this issue before...

Maurice is quite correct, in that one not all archive tools are actually bug free in their decompression and two in that browsers do not have full robustness in the download. I personally use free download manager light. The ultimate way to check is to hash sum the file and compare it to a known hash of the file in download.

2 For WinZIP Files use WinZip

So which tool was used to make the ZIP archive?  Chances are it was not WinZip.

Or put another way, why do you suppose a ZIP file made with 7-zip would decompress better with WinZIP, than with the tool that created it?

As stated above, a corrupt or incomplete download is the cause.  This is due to internet connectivity.  Donwload managers help.  Deleting corrupt incomplete file-stubs before re-downloading is imperative.  The trick is often finding where they are stored.

To be honest the only time i experienced a corrupt download was when the file on the server was corrupted, but i don't think it would be this case :) Several times depends instead on the program you use to decompress the archive. Until this moment my IDM has had a 100% error free, and i downloaded maybe 100 GB or more from the moment i started to use it.

It could depends also on the connection, not all the providers are the same. Some internet speed test has also the lost package checking, like this one, very affordable

http://test.ngi.it/

I use IDM and these last days I'm getting corrupted files from FSS trying to download the updated ones for P3D V.2

I haven't used that one, but I tried to download Pacific Northwest using FlashGet (which they recommended) and Free Download Manager, but neither of them worked. They both got up to 99.9% and stopped.

Then I tried DownThemAll (Firefox plugin) and it worked. Everything I've downloaded from Orbx since with it has worked too. I recommend it.

Depending on the quality / reliability of your internet connection (and all the links between you and the server) it is 'possible' to get corrupt downloads.

Like Maurizio, this has not been an issue for me.  I can not recall the last corrupt D/L I received, and I just have standard ADSL2+ internet.

The key is to hunt down the incomplete file stubs and start again, in my opinion.  Changing download managers may work because it abandons the old file stubs, not simply because one download manager is better than another (although some probably are)

With regard to unpacking.  I exclusively use 64bit executable of 7-Zip  for ZIP files.  It has been stable for a long time now, and is yet to fail/corrupt a file for me, and certainly has worked on every file I have ever downloaded or uploaded for/from ORBX.  I avoid .rar files (I think this is a psychological thing; they seem to be the preferred filetype for dubious sources.  Whether rightly or wrongly, my hackles go up when I see an .RAR extension.)

I also was unable to unzip a file from the Orbx site downloaded with both IE and Firefox.  I downloaded the free 7WA3 airport several times, but it always failed to unzip.  My zip program reported the file was corrupted.

I discovered the “Orbx Google Drive†download link at the bottom of the 7WA3 “Release Announcements†post, and tried it.  7WA3 downloaded, unzipped, and installed properly.

Try downloading with the "Orbx Google Drive" link given in the "Release Announcements" post for your desired file.

Howard

Im using IDM and have downloaded all the new triple installers. All worked well except Scotland which I have now downloaded three times but is still corrupted.

Try DownThemAll Firefox plugin. That's the only one that hasn't failed me yet.

Thanks for responding. I don't use Firefox and am just puzzled why all files except one should unzip OK.  I assume there is a problem with the file though I don't see anybody else having the problem with Scotland.

Thanks again

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, just recently downloaded FTX NA Northern California, Monterey and Redding using the classic Firefox downloader and all three files had no error and downloaded correctly at the first attempt.

• 2 weeks later...

I have experienced somewhat similar problems over the past month or so, most recently this morning when downloading the most recent Orbxlibs.

Out of habit, I have tended to always use the Orbx patch server network option to download the Support patches etc.

This morning, when I tried to open the download, I got the cannot be opened/invalid file message. I then tried Orbx Cloud for the download and everything worked fine.

Some weeks ago, I had a similar episode where the Orbx patch server resulted in a similar problem. I can't remember whether I then tried the Cloud option or the Google Drive one but things went okay.

It seems to me from my experience and the posts which I have read that the Orbx patch server network is the common denominator and that it is of recent months (because I have had not earlier problems in using it over a period of more than two years).

Archived