Aus Circumnaved PT2

VAL067

Hey guys well this is the second part of my journey which sees me go from YMTG (Mt Gambier) to YESP(Esperance) W.A...then YESP - YPLM(Learmonth).. it includes my travel across The Great Australian Bite which done my head in as my fuel management was not up too par and nearly seen me ditch mid ocean. luckily i got my head around it and reconfigured my settings on my aircraft to finally get me there in the end.. positives to come out of it were i learnt new configs and had a better knowledge of my aircraft. 43" manifold pressure and 2500 RPM gave me 300 MPH@ a rate of 85 gph where as 30" of manifold pressure and 2000 RPM gave me 250 MPH @ a  rate of 50 gph.. that's over a 50% fuel saving for a loss of 50 Mph..not a bad trade off. This set the tone for the rest of my journey with me getting every last drop from my tanks and the most amount of miles. Not many times did I land with much fuel to spare but it made the journey more interesting and also it never made my Desto a sure thing, i would have to figure out on the fly as it was where i would have to land and this changed as the flight progressed many times.

Day 2 YMTG (Mt Gambier) - YESP(Esperance W.A)

This day started off with fine weather and very little low cloud and what i thought was not much head wind to bother me ..but ..as stated above this came to prove a near fatal mistake as i crossed the Bite the head wind and my lack of fuel management nearly cost me..

Decision time P.N.R (point of no return) Do I head for north or push west ..? 

Zc8vQ.png

Land Ahoy!! welcome sight of the W.A coast and start my decent

xVp5I.png

lf6oY.png

As you can see nearly empty tanks and an empty head.. called it a day then went to bed.

WXQSy.png

Day 3 YESP (Esperance W.A) - YPLM (Learmonth W.A)

After yesterdays drama i was looking forward to some low coastal flying with land insight and getting more miles in then i did yesterday. Again clear skies and no low level cloud so coastal hugging was again on the agenda .This part of my journey took me from the SW of W.A all the way past Perth to the start of the Kimberleys..After a quick refuel  at some remote Airport i cant even remember the name of I pushed forward to Learmonth just as the sun was setting ..

The beautiful SW of W.A

vXxqt.png

BNHwl.png

Where the Desert meets the Sea.. I refueled near here somewhere and pushed onto Learmonth.

KVOHA.png

AE3H.png

1WVeL.png

Landing at Learmonth 

AXUB.th.png

Archived