Oz Problem

DetCord

Recently got around to reinstalling OzSP4 again. I've run into this issue below, and it's something I've never had in the past.

u9TzNfr.jpg

Installed the Oz, applied the patch, installed my airports, and finally installed the latest libs.

The .003 patch has "complete overhaul of the 3D lighting system for the entire country".

If you applied the latest patch (this patch) you now have in effect Global's lighting system for AUSP4, which means if you run in DX10 without Steve's DX10 V2, you will see black squares.

EDIT : The last patch of NorCal also included the lights update.

Hi there,

no and no; please see http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/75194-v20-of-steves-fixer-now-available/

Cheers, Holger

So let me get this straight...

You're updating the previous Orbx terrains i.e. Oz and I'm sure more to come, with Global's lighting system whether I want it or not? Now, with these updates comes said lighting system and that directly relates to the aforementioned issue of the black squares I'm having. So basically in order to fix this problem that you the developers introduced by adding Global's lighting system via these patches, I have to purchase a TPA to remedy it?

Hi there,

no, you don't have to purchase anything as you have the choice to either use DX9 (which is the FSX mode we design to) or revert to the service pack level prior to the new night lighting system (and also not purchase any of the new regions like NCA that include this system from the get-go). 

In fact, the presence of Steve's DX10 fixer had no bearing on our decision to change to the new lighting system. Since the start of Orbx we've always worked to improve our projects, both released and new. The key issue with the current FTX night lighting system is its rather high fps impact, which forced us to remove a lot of the originally placed 3D lights and introduce the awkward external Day/Night lights switcher. The new system is much lighter on fps and also looks better, especially once the upcoming configurator will allow everyone to choose brightness, size, and color to their personal preferences. Since there are hundreds of files involved in each FTX region we cannot maintain two separate file sets. 

Cheers, Holger

Sorry mate, I just find the thought process and a redirect to a third-party addon rather disingenuous to be honest. Why? Because in order to fix said issue I'd have to purchase NorCAL or the DX10 fixer in order to obtain said update.

Reverting sounds simple enough but in reality, it isn't. I'm going to have to manually uninstall all of my FTX regions (since they're all affected now), clear the config which can be a pain in the ass, and then reinstall everything. Again. You've certainly lost me as a future customer. I know that means nothing in the grand scheme of things with regards to your history of customer treatment and service, however, just thought I'd put that out there.

Regards

Hi there,

thanks for the feedback. Interesting situation to lose a customer for continuing to improve our products but that's the free marketplace for you.

Just to clear up a couple of potential misunderstandings: (1) purchasing Northern California wouldn't change the situation, only Steve's app does (meaning there's nothing "disingenuous" going on here); and (2) at this point it's FTX AU, PNW (SP7), and SAK (SP2) that have been converted so certainly not all of the regions you've listed in your signature.

Cheers, Holger 

My personal opinion.

I have been using the Dx10 preview in FSX ever since I first had a DX10 compatible OS and graphics card.

Over several years I have been faced with numerous problems, some of them parts of the default FSX which

didn't work properly but most with addon aircraft and occasionally scenery.

Nevertheless I always found the advantages over the Dx9 mode outweighed the faults.

In addition, I have learnt a great deal about how FSX works while addressing the various errors found.

Not once did I consider that the fault for the Dx10 based errors lay with the authors or developers of the simulator or

the addons any more than I would blame a motor manufacturer if I were to fill the tank of their diesel car with petrol.

I always understood that FSX is software that uses Direct X 9 with an option to preview an unfinished

Direct X 10 mode.

I see that your perspective is different.

The Dx10 Scenery Fixer repairs virtually all the faults that did exist in the Dx10 mode, even though you may not have noticed them.

It is the result of a lot of time effort and skill invested by its author and it is not free, nor is it anything at all to do with FTX.

Archived