Elevation issue at Orbx Melbourne after Vector 1.1 upgrade

Ok, so I have Pilots Mesh FTX, AUS SP4, Orbx Melbourne, FTX Global and upgraded just now to Vector 1.1. First flight was Melbourne in hybrid mode and canyons etc appeared. I reloaded in Oceania and the same result. The main runway, taxiways and parts of the terminal buildings are covered in massive holes and spikes. I'm trying to upload pics but OZx image hosting isn't working right now.

I guess this is an airport elevation issue but everything was fine in Vector 1.

Any ideas guys?

Tony

This is due to a bug in FSX (or is it by design?). FSX always (!) uses the first elevation it finds of that airport. Even if higher priority scenery config entries would have their own elevation files, these would be ignored. This is why our configurator allows to disable AEC when there's a conflict with add-on airports because there's no way to control airport elevations via scenery config priorities.

Bernd

Holgermesh had the airport at the right altitude and Vector bulldozes over that and bugger$ that up? I have Global2008 and before Vector 1.1 Vector 1 had no issues with it...

I'm a bit stumped

Cheers

Mallard

Hmmmm........so how is it that the FTX regions all contain airport elevation files and they work ok?

Vector elevation files bypasses the region files if FSX 'finds' them first? Not a good situation if true.

Hmmmm........so how is it that the FTX regions all contain airport elevation files and they work ok?

Vector elevation files bypasses the region files if FSX 'finds' them first? Not a good situation if true.

Again, the problem lies in the fact that FSX uses the first elevation for any given airport that it finds when scanning scenery config. Of course it works with a single Add-On-Airport installed, because what this add-on airport does is place the BGL file either directly World\Scenery or any other low priority config entry. This is actually not a good approach (although MS didn't leave many other ways of doing that), because placing add-on files into default scenery folders makes it hard for other developers (like me) to design features like airport elevation corrections. However, it all comes back to the fact that FSXs logic regarding airport elevations is broken and makes it very difficult for add-on developers to adjust elevations.

What VECTOR does is this: when you have a clean FSX installation, VECTOR places its AEC files below the default scenery airports. This leads to corrected airport elevations for all default airports which is exactly what we wanted to achieve. This works fine, as long as the add-on airport places its elevation files below VECTOR_AEC (because in this case, FSX finds these entries first and uses the add-on airport elevation). However, if the add-on airport places its elevation bgls into a default scenery folder (or an add-on scenery folder) that is above VECTOR_AEC, then FSX uses VECTORs elevation bgl file, but the add-on airport file itself relies on their own elevation. This is why we have implemented the option to disable AEC for this specific airport (which will lead to FSX finding the add-on bgl file). There is no other way for me to do that, because there is no way that VECTOR can identify airport elevation files of other add-ons and where they are placed in the scenery configuration.

Again, this is bad design by MS. They should've used the same logic for elevation also, which would allow add-on developers to place their elevation files directly into their add-on scenery folder (thus having all in one folder that is placed correctly in scenery config).

Bernd

Archived