Friday Harbor ferry boat misses the dock in PNW

George de Tuncq

In my happiness over N Cal with Coit Tower finally on Telegraph Hill and the Bay Bridge finally getting all the way to San Francisco I keep overlooking this poor ferry captain that can't hit the dock.  It is amazing that he can't find it when all the aids to navigation are so exactly placed.   Please add it to the list of things to be fixed.

Thank you for clarifying this for me.  I had not seen the previous posts.  While I now understand that the Ferry routes are fixed in FSX the dock is placed by the PNW folks.  Just like a mis-placed runway can be moved I hope the dock can be moved.

Where do I turn off the ferries, if that is where I end up?  Will that also turn off the B.C. Ferries and other shipping addon traffic?

The coast from Washington to Alaska is the land of float planes and boat traffic.  There is a lot of it and having it active is an important part of the scenery.

Hi George,

it's the "Ships and ferries" slider in the Settings > Display > Traffic menu that regulates the default AI shipping. 

In any case there are Orbx compatible replacement options with much better looking AI vessels; see

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/57395-juneau-cargo-ship/?p=516177

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxscen&DLID=176133   (or search the Avsim library for Henrik Nielsen)

http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/14501/fsx-orbx-compatible-british-columbia-ferries/

Cheers, Holger

Thank you for clarifying this for me. I had not seen the previous posts. While I now understand that the Ferry routes are fixed in FSX the dock is placed by the PNW folks. Just like a mis-placed runway can be moved I hope the dock can be moved.

Unfortunately it's not quite that simple... AI boats don't sail between docks like AI airplanes do... The tracks they follow are not "dock to dock"... They simply follow a basic track that was created.

Default FSX had a lot of misplaced things, and the docks were one of those things... The ferry tracks were placed to go between those misplaced Default locations, so when the docks were put in their correct locations by PNW, the tracks couldn't be changed to match.

To change the locations of the docks in PNW to match the bad ferry tracks would mean having to move the docks to locations that would make no sense.

Hope that helps to explain things...

I see that what I thought was a simple problem is more complex than I imagined.  Thank you all for the detailed explanation.

Holger, the sites for the shipping will be put to good use.  The screen shots on the Flyaway Simulation site make me recall the dread of sailing through Active Pass while in the proximity of BC Ferries with murderous intent.  Simulation does have advantages.

Enjoy life in the Sydney area.  I have fond memories of the harbor and the entire area from my cruising days.  You are lucky to live in such a place.  A special thanks to you for your many years of providing us with great scenery.

Take care,  George

Archived