NCA Autogen a new FTX Level ?

MichaelMoe

Hi,

First i must congrats on this great scenery . Really nice to see the bar has been raised again in terms of crispy textures and its accuracy and beautyful colours etc. 

I do have some FPS hit around big Autogen heavy areas and was interested in hearing if this has been further increased vs FSX slider settings in other regions?

It did help renaming the windmill file but still the performance in the Lancair can drop to 17fps in like Sacramento for instance. (Dense settings)

Thanks again

Michael

i7-4770K@4,7ghz

GTX780SC 3GB EVGA @1110MHZ

8GB DDR3

SSD128GB W7-64bit

RAPTOR1000RPM 300GB FSX

I am glad you raised this question.  I have found flying into the Sacramento "zone", I get a considerable drop in fps.  Over much of the non urban areas or moderate urban areas I get 22-20 fps but once I start to approach the Sacramento area my performance drops to 9-17.  I was wondering if is was just the complexity and perhaps I need to dial back the autogen.  I found I could shut down all my traffic and this helped quite a bit.

Wow, being from Sacramento I've definitely been checking out the area and really had to dial settings back on my 4 year old system to get acceptable fps even in the default C172 and B58.  If someone with a 4770K and a GTX780 is having problems, I'm scared.  That was my planned upgrade.  Maybe it's a resolution issue too though, Michael what resolution do you run at?  Sorry I can't help, but I'm watching this thread for my own reference now.  Maybe the autogen in the area needs some tuning?

Didn't try Sacramento for the moment but got the same drop on KSFO. Once the area (KSFO + Frisco) is far in my back, fps remains to normal.  

Complexity autogen : extremely dense

Density autogen : very dense (or Frisco looks like the desert...)

texture res : 60 cm

mesh 10m (NCA's recommanded settings)

water : mid 2X

Res : 1920X1080

Hmm, I can't say I've experienced anything other than I'd expect. Tried it at dense settings, with frames locked at 30, in the Realair Lancair and found outside view showed, most of the time, about 28 and in the VC anything from about 24/27. It was pretty smooth also. Although to be fair, it's all a bit academic unless we are flying with the same settings. Michael, if you post your FSX slider settings, aircraft type and whether you have the BP tweak, airport ICAO and I'll do a more intensive test for you.

Hmm, I can't say I've experienced anything other than I'd expect. Tried it at dense settings, with frames locked at 30, in the Realair Lancair and found outside view showed, most of the time, about 28 and in the VC anything from about 24/27. It was pretty smooth also. Although to be fair, it's all a bit academic unless we are flying with the same settings. Michael, if you post your FSX slider settings, aircraft type and whether you have the BP tweak, airport ICAO and I'll do a more intensive test for you.

Thanks i will try from memory here at work,

Stockton (KSCK)-Sacramento (KSCK- RWY 11 then north-on 5) overflying the City of Sacramento anti clockwise starting at 1hour towards Eldorado hills

FSX:

Dense Autogen

Complexity Very Dense

Traffic =Only UTII at 25% and road at 9%

Clouds 144nm (ASN) and MAX covering

7cm textures and mesh at 10m.

TML=2048

BP=0

LOD=4.5

Aircraft=ORBX Lancair HD white/blue

Michael

332.21 WHQL

Well, road traffic and 144 mile cloud draw distance are an immediate red flag to me. I don't run any road traffic as I find the fps hit to be unacceptable.

With the legacy I can stay pegged at 28-30 around the mentioned areas with scenery complexity at very dense and autogen at very dense.

Water is at 2x min

No shadows at all on either aircraft or ground objects.

Mesh at 5m

LOD 4.5

Cloud draw distance at 70 miles (very dense)

No airport ground traffic vehicles

Also very important for these kind of tests are your wetaher settinngs. Such tests should alwaysy be done with clear skies, no winds unlimited visibility etc. Otherwise they are not really meaningful.

Good point . The weather was not the best yesterday -22 hours with Active Sky next maxed out with minium90/ max 120 cloud draw distance set.

Wil try default FSX weather clear sky

Michael

Regardless, I would have thought with your system, seeing 17 frames is a bit of a drag. As for the 8/8 cloud cover, well, as Wolfgang has said, that will have an impact, but to be honest when using the GTX 780, cloud issues shouldn't be the problem that they have been with earlier cards. I know with my 770 cloud cover has nowhere near the impact that I used to experience with the older 580.

Thanks i will try from memory here at work,

Stockton (KSCK)-Sacramento (KSCK- RWY 11 then north-on 5) overflying the City of Sacramento anti clockwise starting at 1hour towards Eldorado hills

FSX:

Dense Autogen

Complexity Very Dense

Traffic =Only UTII at 25% and road at 9%

Clouds 144nm (ASN) and MAX covering

7cm textures and mesh at 10m.

TML=2048

BP=0

LOD=4.5

Aircraft=ORBX Lancair HD white/blue

Michael

332.21 WHQL

Hi Michael, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just followed your plan, in the Orbx Lancair, with 8/8 cloud, AG at dense, LOD at 4.5, road traffic at 8% AI at 25% and frames were steady at 28/29 occassionally dropping very briefly to about 25 in the VC and never below 30 in outside view. This is with locked frames at 30. In fact I had no blurries and it was very smooth. It sounds to me as though something else may have been active in the background while you were flying.

Hi Michael, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just followed your plan, in the Orbx Lancair, with 8/8 cloud, AG at dense, LOD at 4.5, road traffic at 8% AI at 25% and frames were steady at 28/29 occassionally dropping very briefly to about 25 in the VC and never below 30 in outside view. This is with locked frames at 30. In fact I had no blurries and it was very smooth. It sounds to me as though something else may have been active in the background while you were flying.

Hmm thanks ,strange, Locked FPS i am down to something like 12 fps sometimes then back up in the mid twentys blurry textures.

Just did a testflight around Seattle with same setting and i am at 33-50fps with the Lancair in VC crispy textures

Michael

Hmm thanks ,strange, Locked FPS i am down to something like 12 fps sometimes then back up in the mid twentys blurry textures.

Just did a testflight around Seattle with same setting and i am at 33-50fps with the Lancair in VC crispy textures

Michael

Michael, have you repeated this experience without real weather?

I can safely say, and I don't need to benchmark or be too particular, that the scenery density or other in the Sacramento area is hard on performance as would be expected.

I have an i7920 2.7 GigHz and GTX260 1.7 meg card, 16 gigs DDR3 RAM. 

I get high 20's near 30 everywhere except San Fran and Sacramento.  I think that this is to be expected.

However, I can get 16-18 in San Fran area but I get some very low #'s ie 5-10 in Sacramento for some reason.  This is not the same experience I get in San Fran.

For some reason my fps collapses, and by this I mean flying at near 30fps, then dropping to 5 almost instantly, as I approach in general to Sacramento, then it stabilizes.  I have had this experience 4 times now.

Michael,

It seems as though your rig should be able to handle anything you throw at it with your i7-4770 and GTX780SC 3Gb.

Could it be that your 300Gb Raptor is running out of puff ? -  You do have some high capacity add-ons.

How much free space is left on the HDD?

Bill.

Michael,

It seems as though your rig should be able to handle anything you throw at it with your i7-4770 and GTX780SC 3Gb.

Could it be that your 300Gb Raptor is running out of puff ? - You do have some high capacity add-ons.

Bill.

Hi Bill.

Good spot. I also had that in mind and was thinking of trying a better defrag method placing NCA on the drive outer space but last time i did a defrag method like this all my read and write was messed up so i am a little scared it will do harm again. I have 50% data which meaning that its over to expand on this drive.

Michael

Found the problem . It was UT II. Did not see that coming beacuse i have it at 25% and the drop is not that significant in even EGLL with the PMDG T7. I  went from 32 fps to 57-64fps in NCA/Stockton/Sacramento (lowest Sacramento 37fps-45fps) in the Lancair now  ::)

This area is a huge traffic resource hoog . Maybe KSFO is loaded in UT II . I dont know. 

Michael

Michael,

It seems as though your rig should be able to handle anything you throw at it with your i7-4770 and GTX780SC 3Gb.

Could it be that your 300Gb Raptor is running out of puff ? -  You do have some high capacity add-ons.

Bill.

That's a fairy tale. No computer can handle fsx full sliders. I do not believe anyone here who talks about fps higher than 30 in dense areas. Maybe without a cloud in the sky and no anti aliasing.

Archived