My new toy: Canberra PR9

Pete H

Just a few shots of my new toy: Just Flight's newly released Canberra PR9!

An absolute classic British aircraft, full of good old fashioned toggle switches and gauges. Designed and produced at the end of World War Two, amazingly they served on operations with the RAF until 2006! In July 2013, the now privately owned PR9 "XH134" returned to the air once more.

Shown below are a few screenshots of a reconnaissance flight flown from Kandahar Airfield in Afghanistan.

Scenery depicted is PILOT'S FS Global 2010 FTX Edition + Orbx - FTX: Global BASE + Orbx - FTX: Global VECTOR + REX4 Texture Direct.

sBAH5.jpg
G4Tax.jpg
IvpD.jpg
jMEdp.jpg
PLCmc.jpg
y9grB.jpg

Yes nice looking ship. Forgive my ignorance but why did they offset the cockpit? and what function did they perform in the RAF until 2006?

The offset cockpit in the PR9 is due to the fact that the original Canberra design featured a narrow access corridor (as well as a side access hatch) down the starboard side of the aircraft, in order to allow for in-flight movement from the navigator's position behind the pilot, to the bomb aimer's position inside the nose. This required the pilot's position to be on the port side of the aircraft (although the canopy itself covered the entire width of the fuselage).

The PR9 variant did not have a navigator's position behind the pilot however (instead it was inside the nose, with the navigator entering his station through a hinged nose pre-flight). Thus, there was no need for the access corridor down the starboard side of the aircraft. But, to save the redesign effort of moving the pilot's position into the center of the aircraft, its original port-side position was retained, hence the offset canopy. This had the added benefit of giving increased visibility to the pilot.

With regard their RAF duties until 2006, while the Canberra was originally designed as a high altitude bomber, the PR9's duties were were related to Photographic Reconnaissance (hence the "PR" designation), including mapping and surveillance. They were serving on operations in Afghanistan right up until 2006, surveying enemy activity either by direct overflight, or using oblique angle photography to recon areas without actually needing to overfly them. In essence, they can be thought of as the British U-2 (although the Canberra could only reach 60,00 feet).

And their legacy still lives on in the form of the American WB-57, which was derived from the Canberra. NASA operates the final three WB-57s in the world (the third of which was recently returned to the air from the boneyard), and one of which is used for high-altitude comms duties in Afghanistan.

Pete,

how is she to fly etc, just flight sometimes leave a little to be desired in some of their add ons.

i am torn wether to get it ....

She is a beauty to fly! Just Flight really went the whole mile with this one, and I would happily say that it is one of my best add-ons in terms of flight model realism (which is especially noticeable on approach). I was impressed (and I fly in real life). As a note, I do have A2A AccuFeel installed, which may increase the realism more for me.

In the PR9 manual, Just Flight did say that they had access to the real XH134 and her restoration group (which includes former RAF Canberra pilots).

Archived