long range single engine plane

miloguy

hi guys

I know I have a love for the cessna and for 208b Grand Caravan, 

but now orbx has the globe covered I am back again in the planning stages 

for a world flight. I would love to fly the 208 around the world but fear it may be 

too much ... 

Looking for a nice easy plane to fly , single engine and around the 1500nm or so

any thoughts..

thanks guys

milo

PC-12 is good... for a newer release there is also the Piper Malibu Mirage 350P (by Carenado). The Malibu is around 1500nm range I believe.

The Lancair IV-P has nearly that range and is pressurized as well, bùt I wouldn't necessarily call it easy to fly. That plane will bite you if you are not careful. The Lancair Legacy is only 2-seats, slower and not pressurized, but it is very easy to fly and with around a 1000nm range and decent speed you might be able to do it.

I started my world trip in the RV-7, but I then swapped to the RV-8 due to compatibility issues. They are both pretty much the same.

I've current flown from NZ - AUS - PNG- Phillipines - China - Mongolia - China - N. Korea - S.Korea - Japan - Russia - Alaska - N.Canada - Alaska.

I'm tooling around up there waiting for the NA ORBX regions to be P3Dv2-ready.

The RV is working for me.

The RV-8 manual quotes ...

Range [75% @ 8000 ft] 780 sm

Range [55% @ 8000 ft] 940 sm

I've found that this is plenty for my over water hops as in most places there is a convenient island somewhere to hop to. I guess if you want to cross right-over the middle of the Atlantic or Pacific you might have trouble! The RV-7 I believe is similar. When I look at my world map, I don't see any concerns with my 'planned' route; about the only downer is I don't think I'll be able to pull off a trip to Easter Island, but I might give it a crack. I might, just might, be able to island hop from Aussie...

hmmm ... I think I just set myself a new challenge while I wait for ORBX to make the NA regions P3Dv2-compatible! :)

Agreed wth Dooga, the Civil P-51 will give you +1500nm range if you cruise between FL150 and FL180 with supercharger on LOW.  You still get around 300MPH TAS.  The P-51 is a very efficient airplane, even by today's standards.   Plus you get the music of beautiful Merlin V-12 engine sound.    

I wouldn't call the Civil Mustang an 'easy' plane to fly, it does require some proficiency and practice, it is a V-12 powered ex-warbird after all.  However it is a very rewarding plane to fly if you master it.

The downside to the P-51, she's not a bush plane, I would consider 2500' a minimum runway length for a safe landing.

I took the RV-7 on a trans pacific trip via PNW, Alaska, Russia, Japan, island hopping to NZ,  At econ cruise settings I could get about 750 nm.  RV has great STOL performance and aerobatic capability too.  Average cruise speeds were around 160kts TAS

If you don't mind an extra engine, the Skymaster is excellent, has long range, reasonable short runway capability, and cruises about the same speed as the RV.  The Skymaster POH says you can get 1500nm range, but you should really plan for 1000-1100nm to account for possible headwind, landing with some reserve fuel and so on.  Personally if I were doing a trip like this in real life, I would want a second engine and de-icing equipment, which the real Skymaster can be equipped with.  The Carenado needs some 2d de ice boot switches added to simulate this.

I am sure the Real Air Legacy would be a good choice too, not sure what it's max range is, probably in the 900nm ballpark, however it requires longer runway than the RV and Skymaster..

Cheers

TJ

its 13000 from Wollongong to wellington NZ I think 

You could go up north a bit, and then via Lord Howe Is - Norfolk Is - Kaitaia, A lot of singles and light twins go that way. Or even direct to Norfolk Is - Kaitaia is common. Just a thought.

its 13000 from Wollongong to wellington NZ I think 

Can't comment on that. Most trips for planes this size hop via Lord Howe and Norfolk (which I did on the way out).

I also hear that Hobart to Invercargill is 'common'  ... no idea how far that is.

I fell into the drink 214nm short of Easter Island last night ... but I have some things to try  ;)

You could go up north a bit, and then via Lord Howe Is - Norfolk Is - Kaitaia, A lot of singles and light twins go that way. Or even direct to Norfolk Is - Kaitaia is common. Just a thought.

Yep, that is exactly the way I hopped the RV-7 to Aussie.

Whatever you choose, you will need to flightplan to allow for headwinds and tailwinds, for alternate altitudes to clear obstacles while still being able to take advantage of winds where possible. And plan for alternate airfields and airports anything up to an hour off-route so if you do encounter bad weather or need to re-route you have a pre-planned diversion. 

For this reason, up high and pressurised is really the way to go, if you don't want the elegant suggestion of the Mustang (although the military version has the drop tanks option that will ensure the range criteria is met).

If you need a GA piston then it's worth researching the aircraft peak fuel efficiency settings - these will typically be at about 55% power and at low prop speed, within a relatively narrow speed range and with suitable leaning for ultimate range and a cruise-climb profile that maximises fuel-miserliness. No point targeting FL250 and then climbing at full power only to travel a minimal distance over the ground. 

You will also want to look up `Lindbergh leaning` as it was Charles Lindbergh;s main advisory role in WWII - teaching pilots how to massively over-lean for minimal fuel burn against ground speed - it's not  commonly known that, defied an operational role directly by order of Roosevelt, Lindbergh went to the Pacific Theater as an `advisor` - and then flew combat missions in P-38's! In consequence, as he was a supreme authority on long-distance flights at the time, he provided battle-tested information away from operating manuals `broad, simple` advice on how pilots should lean the Allisons to within an inch of their lives to absolutely maximise the operating range - which was a significant factor in the shooting down of Yamamoto's Betty in 1943.

This would make the Malibu Mirage a good choice as it has the accurate gauges to do that, and manual leaning and prop control. Engines only burn fuel when they go `bang` so if you travel same distance with fewer engine revolutions, you go further for less fuel. However, controlling and limiting peak temps is easier with a liquid-cooled engine.

Choices, choices...

Whatever you choose, you will need to flightplan to allow for headwinds and tailwinds, for alternate altitudes to clear obstacles while still being able to take advantage of winds where possible. And plan for alternate airfields and airports anything up to an hour off-route so if you do encounter bad weather or need to re-route you have a pre-planned diversion. 

For this reason, up high and pressurised is really the way to go, if you don't want the elegant suggestion of the Mustang (although the military version has the drop tanks option that will ensure the range criteria is met).

If you need a GA piston then it's worth researching the aircraft peak fuel efficiency settings - these will typically be at about 55% power and at low prop speed, within a relatively narrow speed range and with suitable leaning for ultimate range and a cruise-climb profile that maximises fuel-miserliness. No point targeting FL250 and then climbing at full power only to travel a minimal distance over the ground. 

You will also want to look up `Lindbergh leaning` as it was Charles Lindbergh;s main advisory role in WWII - teaching pilots how to massively over-lean for minimal fuel burn against ground speed - it's not  commonly known that, defied an operational role directly by order of Roosevelt, Lindbergh went to the Pacific Theater as an `advisor` - and then flew combat missions in P-38's! In consequence, as he was a supreme authority on long-distance flights at the time, he provided battle-tested information away from operating manuals `broad, simple` advice on how pilots should lean the Allisons to within an inch of their lives to absolutely maximise the operating range - which was a significant factor in the shooting down of Yamamoto's Betty in 1943.

This would make the Malibu Mirage a good choice as it has the accurate gauges to do that, and manual leaning and prop control. Engines only burn fuel when they go `bang` so if you travel same distance with fewer engine revolutions, you go further for less fuel. However, controlling and limiting peak temps is easier with a liquid-cooled engine.

Choices, choices...

Yep, that is what I plan to do; look to do the trip when I have a good forecasted tail, and look to get the best efficiency out of the engine.

I cheated a little last time in that I found an interim island to 'refuel' at; even so, that final leg is technically outside the RV's range.

No alternates here!

I'm still going to try to make it though; exciting :)

Archived