I good idea . Whats your thoughts

gsumner

Firstly Im making a guess that the more scenery layers you have active the more load on your computer. With that I mean if your fly within a close proximity of these active scenery areas.

So lets say Im flying IFR from Scotland to the South coast of England lets say Southampton.. Along the routes Ill probably fly over a lot of UK2000 airports I have installed. Because Im 15,000 ft and above I cant really take advantage of the complexity of the airport. So why have them active.

Would it not be a good idea to have a quick way of disabling scenery thats really not needed for your flight therefore saving processor time as you overfly complex scenery. Perhaps a nice little GUI program that you input your Departure and Arrival airports, this checks your installed scenery and gives you the quick option of disabling layers before your even start FSX of your fave sim.

This is just a thought, Im not a programmer and dont really know if this is feasible or infact would make any difference.

Graham

Just like Race Sims it makes no difference the the running performance of FSX ONCE the relevant scenery database has been made as FSX ONLY loads what is needed, This is decreed by a number of factors not the least of which is the visibility radius which I believe most Simming pilots have way to high. If the LOD radius is set somewhat realistically then you FSX won't give a toss and only show a basic rendering ,  

If I understood you correctly I use the freeware Scenery Config Editor 1.1.2 (SCE) before I load FSX and check what sceneries I'll be flying over. So, if I fly from point A to point B and in this route I find a scenery that I'll not land, like the heavy UK2000 Heathrow, I just turn it off. The rest of the world is also turned off, especially those photoreal ones (MegaSceneryEarth and others). The only entries I leave checked are those common libraries each developer uses like OrbXLibs and so forth. I find this software easier to deal with than using the Scenery Library inside FSX. 

I tend to disagree about a rig handling or not what you have installed. There are limitations in the FSX world especially those regarding VAS memory. No matter what configuration you have you will always reach a limit in the end. Tell me if any rig can support ORBX EU, with PMDG, Rex HD, UK2000 Heathrow Extreme, FSX sliders to (almost) max, AI Traffic at 50% or more. If anyone says it's ok, that no VAS limit is reached and with FPS above 20 either doesn't have a clue what he is doing or has a super computer no one has heard of it yet. So for me FSX is all about balance. Take something here and gain something there. So you tweak your FSX.cfg, disable sceneries you will not use, tone things down when using FTX airports (using ORBX Control Panels), disable unnecessary services within Windows, etc.

If I understood you correctly I use the freeware Scenery Config Editor 1.1.2 (SCE) before I load FSX and check what sceneries I'll be flying over. So, if I fly from point A to point B and in this route I find a scenery that I'll not land, like the heavy UK2000 Heathrow, I just turn it off. The rest of the world is also turned off, especially those photoreal ones (MegaSceneryEarth and others). The only entries I leave checked are those common libraries each developer uses like OrbXLibs and so forth. I find this software easier to deal with than using the Scenery Library inside FSX.

Thanks for the above comment. This is what I meant and shall be looking into this.

Graham

Sent from my Enjoy 71 using Tapatalk

If I understood you correctly I use the freeware Scenery Config Editor 1.1.2 (SCE) before I load FSX and check what sceneries I'll be flying over. So, if I fly from point A to point B and in this route I find a scenery that I'll not land, like the heavy UK2000 Heathrow, I just turn it off. The rest of the world is also turned off, especially those photoreal ones (MegaSceneryEarth and others). The only entries I leave checked are those common libraries each developer uses like OrbXLibs and so forth. I find this software easier to deal with than using the Scenery Library inside FSX.

Thanks for the above comment. This is what I meant and shall be looking into this.

Graham

Sent from my Enjoy 71 using Tapatalk

You can get it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

Be sure to FILE - SAVE AS when you make modifications. The SAVE creates another file. Download JAVA too. This software is a no-brainer! 

You can get it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

Be sure to FILE - SAVE AS when you make modifications. The SAVE creates another file. Download JAVA too. This software is a no-brainer! 

This tool is a must have but I guess you meant the opposite of "save" and "save as"? The "save" does NOT create a new file.

Spirit

When you SAVE it creates a file NewScenery.cfg. When you SAVE AS it overwrites Scenery.cfg and creates a backup file called scenery.cfg.sce. :)

Funny but are we talking about the same tool?

My scenery editor save the scenery.cfg if I click "save" and I can create a new scenery.cfg with any name if I click "save as".

I guess all products in the whole MS world work this way.

Spirit

Archived